Dust accumulates quickly on car after wax/sealant?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Kaban, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hey guys, I was wondering about something...

Everytime I prep my cars and use a wax or sealant and DON'T wash the car after the application... I could go for a regular drive and come back after an hour of driving to see alot of dust accumulate on the car.

I use Blackfire Wet-Diamond on my windows and Collinite 845 and 476S on the rest of the car and I noticed that even on a sunny day after I put the wax and sealant on, the car is like a dust magnet. It's not super bad, but it's definitely without a doubt a dust magnet.

Is that normal? Should I lightly wash teh car after the wax/sealant application because after the first wash after a detail, the dust issue stops.

2. Kaban

For example, I just did a full correction on my daily driver ES and put two coats of 476S on the car and BFWD on the windows and after coming home today I noticed the entire car is lightly covered with dust...

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

It is pretty normal I get it a lot as well. What I usually do is spray down some QD after my lsp application. I tend to use Prima Slick and it seems to help with the dust issue.

4. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I'm assuming its from using a microfiber to remove the wax causing a static charge?

5. Kaban

Thanks guys. Yes i use microfiber to wipe off the wax after it hazes. what else can u use to wipe off the wax?

6. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

i would still use a microfiber, but try to slow your motions down. no need to go back and forth real fast. you could also try using an anti static product like FK 425 after removing the wax.

7. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

what about not using a dry towel? I agree with the use of an anti static........I have this issue, but I also attract flies when i use nuba LOL

8. Kaban

I'm probably just going to wash my car after the wax application. It seems much easier and faster then going over it with QD. I can't even find FK 425. Where do you buy it? Thanks

Wouldn't using a damp MF towel leave streaks possibly and water spots? Have you tried using this method? Thanks

9. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

If its distilled water I have had little issues, but i have also used CG pro detailer when removing wax.

10. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

I noticed this too, but even more with just after a normal car wash not even a wax or sealant as you mentioned. Solution was to wipe down the car with CW speed wipe. It adds some gloss, and doesnt let dust stick.
    Also can depend on the towel you are using. For example those shag towels i would imagine leave a magnetic charge on your paint.

11. Kaban

Strange. It only happens to me after a fresh coat of wax. Washing the car actually solves the problem.

12. TechnikSLR

TechnikSLR Two Bucket System Washer

how soon after hazing and buffing do you apply some Prima Slick and this seems to reduce the amount of dust accumulation?

13. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I usually wait about an hour after buffing off the lsp. And yup Prima Slick has helped me with cutting down dust.

14. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

15. Kaban

That is cool. I bet you can use that to dust interiors too or is it too big for that?