Duragloss 101 and 105 Review

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Dave KG, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

The Duragloss product range has been around for some time and it is gaining many fans with those who use it regularly... The product range is new to me however, but I've been relishing the opportunity to give it a serious run down.

You only have to look at the naming the the products to know that Duragloss are gunning for Zaino's jugular with their product range - who else calls sealents "polishes"?!! And its "polishes" that are the topic of this review, two in particular: Polish & Cleaner (101) and Total Performance Polish (105). Duragloss have Zaino firmly in their sights with these, so I will be using Zaino as my benchmark on which to judge here.

Off the bat, Duragloss has one advantage - and that's price! Notably less for each of its products, its slicing in below Zaino. But can it match the results?

On with the testing... you'll recognise this car, its in the Show It Off section. After machine polishing on this Nissan Micra, a good gloss on the paint was obtained and the flake was alive and popping - so a great test of the products abilities to keep that flake alive and see if it can add anything to a well machined finish.

First up: Duragloss 101. This was applied using a foam applicator pad and worked in with gentle pressure for a few passes by hand:

[​IMG]

Its about the same consistency as Z2 and Z5, quite watery, but very easy to spread and work. Residue was quite thin, but what I did note here was that it dried and then almost vanished very quickly - within 5 minutes. Much quicker than the Zaino sealents. Also, in common with ZAIO it cleansed the paint a little, but I would say from other testing and this example that the ZAIO is a more capable cleanser, and that for true cleansing and correction you'd be looking at Duragloss Pre-Cleaner 2.

Removal was a cinch - gentle wipe with an mf and it was gone:

[​IMG]

Looks wise, in honesty it was nigh on impossible at this stage to see any difference from it, but I would say this is quite similar to ZAIO... slight glassiness if anything, but nothing hugely tangible in the looks department.

Next up, Duragloss 105. Applied again by hand using a foam applicator pad:

[​IMG]

Now this product is much thicker in consistency than 101, or the Zaino sealents - more like Poorboys EX-P and the like. Still very easy to apply, spread evenly and like the 101 its residue dried quickly and removed very easily.

The results. Pictures first.

In the garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whereas after the 101 I could see no discernible difference, the second layer of 105 did seem to enhance the gloss on the paint by a fraction (big in LSP terms!), along the lines of Zaino in looks - its that glassy nuance again! A pic to try and show this:

[​IMG]

Better to judge, take it outside but first, a wipedown with Aquawax. This is Duragloss's stab at Z8, and working wise its very similar: spray, wipe, buff, done. Whole car in five minutes! Shame it doesn't quite have the grand marnier smell of Z8, but then it is much cheaper! It however, didn't quite add the same slickness as Z8 does to the finish, but looks wise you could argue that it did enhance the glassy nature a little so a plus point there.

Outside photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, in summary so far: The Duragloss pair here did offer a slight glassy nuance on top of the well prepped machine finish, a look very reminiscent of Zaino Z2. It would be nigh in impossible to separate the two products in fact if on cars side by side, but if pushed I would say the Z2 had a very slight edge, but thats only if pushed, looks wise. Both sealent systems still allow the flake to really ping through, and this if anything if what is to be appreciated the most over typical wax finishes which, when seen together seem to have no effect on flake, but up against the best of the sealents, the man-made systems do seem to have a slight edge on keeping the flake alive.

If Duragloss slightly looses out to Zaino on looks, its still got a trump card to play! Ease of use. Not in application or removal. But in drying time: 5 mins today, and in testing by me, consistently faster and less weather fussy than Zaino. A big plus, and something Zaino are obviously aware of for their products with talk of the development of Z-Euro to address cold-weather curing times. Will hopefully bring Zaino level again on this front, as right now it trails behind Duragloss for multi-weather use.

Weighing up all the factors here, this is a very close one to call and ultimately I would be hesitant to come down on any side for a victory. Both sealent systems are superb, offering a little in looks that are just leaving waxes standing these days (its oh so small, but in LSP terms, tiny nuances are all we get and tiny differences are all we can call). If anything Zaino has a little extra glassiness in looks and is slightly slicker, but Duralgoss is right up there. And Duragloss redresses the balance with ease of use in terms of curing times. So it really is very very close indeed on overall performance, but if we now take costs into consideration and look at the fact that Duragloss consistently undercuts Zaino, then Duragloss seriously strengthens its case for victory. I cannot call a winner - its really going to be personal preference more than anything! Only durability will really separate them, and this I will be assessing in due course as that Micra will be partly in my care as I work with its owner (girlfriend of a good colleague, and keen to learn how to keep her car looking good) to keep on top of the finish.

Up against other LSP systems, the fact that Duragloss is so close to Zaino (if not equal) speaks leaps and bounds for it - its got an edge over waxes in my eyes, regardless of the wax in question. To the point where if I had Vintage or Duragloss in my hands to finish a car off with, it would be Duragloss I'd pick and I can say that in all honesty. And thats a big thing, and a huge gold star in DG's book. The looks may not agree with everyone, but for me, the fact it offers anything at all over a machine prepped finish is huge news and a big credit to a very well priced, easy to use (and apparently durable going on other reviews) product.

Duragloss - well done! :thumb:

2. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Afaik the DG line has been around longer than Zaino. Atleast that's what their web page leads you to believe.

Smashing review none the less.

3. distrbd

distrbd New Member

Great review ,I have question:
    Would you consider topping the #105 with a carnauba ?if so what do you hope to achieve?

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Great stuff Dave! I love using Aquawax and use it more as a QD than anything else, works great...

5. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

I personally wouldn't as I'm not sure it would really achieve anything extra - perhaps "thicken" the gloss a slight touch, maybe, but I doubt you'd notice and it would be at the risk of loosing the flake ping the sealent offers... I'd personally layer the sealent. :)

6. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

According to DG...AW should not be applied till the polish is cured..I just went over this with them...105 is a polymer resin combo...more like Z5 than Z2...it is suppose to mimick a waxy look more than a sealant look....it says right on the bottle Synthetic Polymer/Wax Formula

105 has a solvent type polymer were as AW has a water based..and AW can interfere with the final outcome of looks if used before a cure or partial cure........105 looks better as it cures as I say ages...same with AW...the slickness comes the next day to its tops....

DG 501 is their Z AIO..stuff cleans paint like mad..and has a much better look than 101...its very slick as to deter any build up on the paint while boats in the water...its paint safe also...

501 is my go to paint cleaner now....also the durability of 501 is very close to 105....

DG said to quicken the cure park in direct sun after buffing off....let the sun warm the paint

AL

7. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

I presume (I'm no chemist, but work with them) that this is the polymer links setting up if it needs extended curing times, though the car was sat for about an hour I'd say between 105 being wiped off and AW going on (this review is a concise version of a full detail :) )... No evidence of it affecting the looks of 105 adversely, or the slickness and the day here was warm (20degC) so I presume that the product has gone to being fairly well cured at the very least... if not, it wouldn't have stood a chance in any case from water as about 10 mins after the last pics were taken, it dinged it down with rain.

501 I dont have... all my DG products are from the sample kit (and the 105 is not in its own bottle, so I wouldn't have seen the bit about wax on the bottle ;) ), though I do find it hard to pick a difference between Z2 and Z5 despite many saying that Z2 is more glossy and Z5 is deeper - hmmm, not convinced, same glassy nuance from both for me :)

8. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Great review
    AL-53 turned me onto the DG line. 501 is a great cleaner and I like the look of 111, to me it is a wetter look.