Durability

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by kustomizingkid, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

The thread about winter LSP's got me thinking about the durability of different LSP's... has anyone ever ranked the popular sealants and waxes in order of durability?

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

There are too many variables to get durability list in terms of a constant environment. Variables such as application method, time let to dry, surface prep, ext. I know Ken on his site has/had a list of sealants/wax's that he has with some general durability timeliness. That is the only one I know of, there were also two large test over on Detailing World on real world durability for wax's and sealant's but results were what you would expect but a few were a big surprise and could not be explained.

3. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

^^ well said. i would agree that there is way to many variables to take in consideration. climate for one some place like new york, in the winter is gone to very much differnt then florida or texas in the winter. in the cold climates you have snow and ice and salt from the raod that will lay on your vechical and take its toll on the lsp. plus how the car was prepped is gonna play a big part. a clyaed or polished vechiceal with lsp applied,is prolly gonna have better results as one that was not clayed and polished befroe. also how many applications and so fourth.

4. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

many sealants and waxes just cause surface tension which creates sheeting and beading but that alone is not much protection.
    the better sealants are not water soluble and put an actual glass or quartz coating in the paint and on top.

anyone who washes their vehicle once every week or two weeks will have a longer lasting protective coating on their car. dont wash that frequently and the common sealants are weakend or totally gone as it's only surface tension that they provide.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

A polymer forms a molecular bond with the paint system; this is far more of a 'bonding' than what is provided by mere surface tension. This molecular bond is what gives polymers their durability.n

6. MAXSE2kMT

MAXSE2kMT Any Rag Vehicle Washer

7. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Just get 845 and call it good. It's extremely durable.