Dupli-Color "Shield"

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by krshultz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Anyone seen this?

Shield

Most of you know I autocross my car a lot. Hitting cones is somewhat inevitable. This looks like the answer to my front bumper's prayers. It's a spray-on bra, if you will. They say it rinses off with either a pressure washer, or soap and water (I've got both).

Anyone ever used this, or something like it?

2. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Looks interesting.

3. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

looks interesting. let us know if you try it and how it works. would be good for long road trips and all those bugs.

4. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Good Find :thumb:

Yea, try it on "YOUR" car, so I'll know if it will Damage mine :hmph:

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Have not used it be seen it used. It does not damage anything but can be a bit hard to wash off if left to bake. But I do not think that a little power washer and some good soap should make short work of it. It will provide something that can be hit before the actual paint so it should work. Like I told you before, I have seen saran wrap used as well as that temp clear bra. But for the price of a can you might as well try it out, it will not harm the paint. Just dont mix it up with another spray can like someone on another forum I am apart of did.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

hot sure how much it will protect you from a damage of hitting cones, I think it is more of a bug/road grime protector.

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

It will give protection against cone marks, but you still not going to get the protection like you would from a solid film. Some of the shield will come off when hit by a gone but may not leave a mark, or leave a mark on the shield. I have a friend who races a rx7 and he just puts saran wrap over the nose to give a little protection, but now he has started to use temporary clear bra.

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Well, I'm not having much luck finding this stuff anywhere. Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys, nobody has it. Next stop is O'Reilly.

9. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Hey I like wild goose chaces as much as the next fellow, but if you wanna save some time and trouble Ulility Safegaurd has it for $41.99 a case(6 cans) :chips:

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I use to see this stuff all the time at Pep Boys but looks like they have gotten rid of it as it may not of been selling well. Online may be your best bet....let me know if you find some I may pick up a can or two to try out.

11. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

O'Reilly didn't have it on the shelf, but they ordered me two cans of it. Pep Boys told me they wouldn't special order Dupli-Color stuff. :gasp: It should be here on Friday.

Since I finally found an auto parts store that was actually willing to help me, I asked them if they could special order stuff from Meguiar's. Turns out they can; Professional line, Detailer line, the whole list. I may have just found a way to save on some shipping charges.

12. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm interesting, were is this O'Reilly's at? Is it one by Tryon and ah I forgot the main road tryon crosses right there, next to Autozone or advance....I may have to swing by there once I get back in a week and check out there prices on some products.

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Real close to Majestic Solutions. Go like you're going to MS, from the beltline to 64E/New Bern Ave. Drive past Corporation Parkway, which is the road MS is on. Drive past the giant Walmart on the left. Straight through the next light. Shortly after this, O'Reilly will be on your left, in the same area where Northern Tool is. Make a U-Turn and pull in.

I didn't price the Meg's stuff, but it's nice to know that they'll special order stuff. Even if they're on the expensive side, not having to pay shipping may make it work out to the good. They may be able to get other stuff too; I saw some 3M stuff on the shelf. And, unlike every other auto parts store in Raleigh/Durham, the people working there are friendly and helpful.

14. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Update:

IMO, this stuff is a waste of money. Don't bother.

It goes on very thin - probably too thin to offer any legitimate protection, in my opinion. The online video makes the application process look easy, and I suppose it is, but it looks like hell - it looks like spray paint. Which makes sense. It's possible that it would be more effective if multiple coats were applied - I didn't try that.

It does wipe off the vehicle easily, and so far as I can tell, does not strip LSP off the finish.

The thing I really, really hated about it is that it's a bit messy. I applied it to the rocker panels of the car. Every time we got in and out of the car, some of this black Shield stuff got on our legs. I quickly wiped it off the rockers once I discovered this, and left it on the front bumper.

For my particular use (protecting the S2000 from cone marks), this stuff is absolutely useless. For protecting from bugs, bird poo, and small little stones? Maybe.