Ducati Paint?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by AshyLarry, Apr 29, 2011.

1. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Virgin Detailer

Hi Guys, spent the better part of the weekend and after work this week working on getting the new bike looking pretty. I had a couple questions I was hoping someone would know about. My bike is a red 98 916 and has most likely never gotten better than a wipe down/spray wax. It looked good from 6ft kind of deal.

I started out with uber green and menz po203s with a 7424 and it didn't really get it to the level I'd hoped. I was unsure of how much paint there was and didn't really want to go more aggressive (the bike will be ridden a lot anyway) so I just followed up with 85rd and called it a day.

Now that I'm looking at it a few days later, there's still a some rids and minor swirls, it looks pretty awesome but I'm just not super thrilled with how its looking under LED and halogen lights.

Of course I've already spent 4 days applying glaze and LSPs so I'm not about to redo it, but I would like to know, from experience, is paint on Ducati's fairly "hard", and is there a good amount? Can I safely assume an Uber orange (or yellow) won't get me in trouble?

I'm still pretty new to detailing (~2years) and being my new bike I was a bit nervous. What would you guys recommend? I can post some pictures when I get home from work if that will help.

2. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Pics would be great.
    I would suggest an uber green pad and power finish or SIP and 85rd to end.

3. galaxy

galaxy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The pictures aren't as good as I'd hoped (like with a sun gun or anything), but they show well enough. This is Meguiars 105/205 prior to my LSP. It's a good combo on the Ducati paint. I think I used the 105 on a LC white and the 205 on the same or a black one, don't remember. The black LC pad is usually my all around favorite. I've only done it once but the clear coat is fairly hard and good quality...you're not going to blow through it if you go about it properly and use good pads. My finish is completely spotless.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with Ducati's paint when compared to other bike brands I've polished on...it's pretty darn good by anyones standards, car or bike. Only thing I would add is don't know what or how much has changed over the years since your bike. Can't image it's changed too much. Try the 105 on a non-agressive pad and just make a few passes at a time to see if it's accomplishing what you need. You'll be fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

This combination removes 2000 grit scratches and produces a refined finish
    1. Menzerna Power Finish PO203S on a (LC) Orange or Green pad
    2. Menzerna Final Polish PO85RD on a (LC) Black or Gold pad