DSMS's revamped garage

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by dsms, May 14, 2009.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Last week I re-worked my garage space to be a little more space efficient. Got rid of some bulky cabinets to give me more room for polishing and installed new adjustable shelving flush against the wall (this way they are not in the way of a car when its pulled in)

All sprayer bottles are now stored on 2 steel bars, mounted high up and away from my much needed polishing space.

I also consolidated my product arsenal to what I most regularly use during a detail, all extra products or duplicates are now stored in my basement.

And of course the fridge had to go!

This setup gives me a lot more room to work my way around a car.

Some before pictures, this is the mess left after winter detailing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were the cabinets where I kept all my product, these were also the cabinets that made polishing the front fender of a car extremely annoying:duh:

I needed everything out of the cabinets so here is about 90% of the arsenal

[​IMG]

The rubbermaid cart came in handy again, this time holding most of my bottles and sprayers and not having to put them on the floor

[​IMG]

3403,3401,Makita,Cyclo

[​IMG]

When you see your product stored like this you start to see where your outrageous credit card bills come from:gasp:

[​IMG]

This is with the new racks and adjustable shelving installed, the floor still needs to be pressure washed

[​IMG]

Bottle racks, honestly the best thing you can do for bottles. They are big and take up way too much space in cabinets or on shelves, most of them I am always using so its good to be able to grab them and put them back quickly

[​IMG]

I didnt want anything on the floor so I just used thick nails to hang up my wheel brushes

[​IMG]

And when 1 nail wont fit through a SV wheel brush... use 2 and drop it in the center

[​IMG]

The shelves were adjusted to fit each size of product, for example the polishing shelf is sized just an inch higher than that of a 32oz Menzerna bottle

The LSP shelf didnt need to have much height

[​IMG]

Even when products were stored in my old cabinets I had them placed by fucntion, wash and clay, interior, polishing, prep stuff and all LSP/finishing touch products have their own section

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gallons were stored up top

[​IMG]

Extra stuff I may need, tape, IPA etc I put in the remaining upper cabinets

[​IMG]

The last thing it needed was a good Pressure wash and scrub (I used APC+ on the floor:headbang:)

After the PW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally glad I got it cleaned out, thanks for looking:thumb:

BTW just realized I turned this into a full blown "write up", I gotta cut that out sometimes:doh:

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Nice... a good clean, organized work space is essential

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Looks pretty good man!

4. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Oh my god dave!! Garage envy! Sucks I have shelves full of boxes that will never be opened--yet my parents won't throw the stuff out :doh:

Looks amazing! I love the idea of only having the essentials out--and everything else stored away to give an extremely tidy look.

Amazing!!

edit, I'd love to see how you stored all your MF's-- i'm sure youve got hu--thousands ;)

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Beautiful, man. I REALLY like the way it's set up now. Gotta get me some steel bars to hang the bottles too :D

6. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

love your bottle rack setup. Ikea has bars that are thin for towels and stuff, will probably buy some of those, cheap too!! I'm glad to see that others are as organized as me, and maybe quite a bit more than me. I need to drywall my garage, its amazing how bright your garage looks!

7. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Great work Dave. I just redid my garage.. Wait till you see the pics. It came out incredible.

8. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

Really great work! Makes me want to go buy a house and re-vamp the garage tomorrow! Stupid wedding :(

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Awesome garage now David. Looks fantastic.

10. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Beautiful Just Beautiful...:thumb:

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

That looks awesome!

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

That really is a great overhaul there Dave. I'm going to have to borrow some of your ideas for my garage. :)

By the way, are you tall enough to reach your top shelf without a ladder? :p:

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Mate, that's looking GOOD!!!

14. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

That was a great job you did. Defenitely more space, and great organization.

15. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Wow man awesome collection and very nicely organized

16. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

black nitrile gloves right?

i have the EXACT same thing

[​IMG]

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Those are some awesome gloves Ben! I did a little searching and you can actually buy a case for $90 shipped. :)

18. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

yeah but i couldn't find myself using up a case. and i get mine from work haha

i work in a biotech lab, so they might as well be free for me :D

19. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Geez, how convenient. :worship2:

20. cshorey

cshorey Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Ikea has some kitchen bars for holding pots, which I have bought to hold my bottles. They are thinner then what dsms built, but they work pretty good. Ikea also have an adjustable shelving system which I am planning on buying and installing on the back wall of my garage at the end of the summer.

Nice job dsms. Makes me wish my sabbatical would come sooner, so I can empty out my garage and turn it back into a actual garage and give myself some room. unfortunately I don't think my garage will be big enough to actually work on a car in it, but atleast I can have a prep and active work area. I guess I could do the front and back, but cars are quite a lot bigger now then back in 1927 when my 1 car garage was built.

chris