dsms detailed - Some people...

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Have NO respect for their vehicles:crasy:

This was one of their worst cars I have done. A silver 325xi landed in my driveway a few days ago looking like hell. The wheels were painted black with the thickest brake dust I have ever seen and the paint was not only totally flat but it had terrible scuff marks all over it. I knew this one was going to be a project! I would have guessed this car hadnt been washed since the day it was bought.

On with the job...

The wheels were beyond your average BMW brake dust buildup. This was not a time for P21s gel, I could have let it sit there for 3days but I just didnt have the time or patience so out with the heavy stuff...

Megs Wheel Brightener 4:1 and lots of it. I went through 3/4 of a bottle on these wheels.:doh:

There was a ton of baked on brake dust which did not come off even after using tar remover, clay and an agressive polish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little 50/50

[​IMG]

The door shuts were all cleaned with APC+

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After ruining an entire bar of Megs agressive clay this BMW was ready for inspection and PTG readings. The car averaged 110-160 microns all around.

These are the HEAVY scuff marks I was talking about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some experimenting I found that the best way to get these marks out was by hand polishing...yes hand polishing with an agressive compound.

The choice for the job was Gloss It extreme cut, similar to a megs M105.

[​IMG]

I like Extreme cut because its pretty thin compared to M105 and uses a variaty of different sized abrasives which all cut very well.

Heres a close up after spreading Extreme cut a bit

[​IMG]

Now onto the scuffs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a very long time hand polishing out the scuffs it was time to bring back some shine and the finish and machine polish out the swirls.
    I chose the cyclo with yellow pads and Gloss It One Step machine polish(my new favorite product) this stuff cuts very well and finishes down 100% LSP ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pads got quite dirty during polishing so out with the GG pad washer, yea it works with a cyclo! This is one thing I cannot polish without. now its really a useful device.

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

The exhaust were not chrome but needed a good once over. #0000 steel wool and noxon and then Megs all metal polished were used

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Now more polishing on the passenger side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DD ubers were the choice for hand polishing because they have just enough bite for the job

[​IMG]

Then more finishing with the cyclo and the Gloss It one step

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

After an IPA wipedown, the depth and reflectiveness is restored and the car is ready for LSP. The choice was Gloss it Gloss Finish then a gloss enhancer wipedown

This is the car with no LSP

[​IMG]

One last thing before applying the gloss finish was to do some touch up work, the owner didnt ask for it but i happened to have found this little kit in the interior while i was cleaning it out so I figured I would put it to good use. A simple titanium silver basecoat and then a clear coat to top it...HOW CONVIENENT:thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While that was curing I moved onto to the interior which was umm...less than stellar:doh:

Products used...

1Z CP
    1Z Plastik Reinger
    Megs APC+
    Leather masters rapid cleaner S
    Optimum leather protectant
    P21s 100%
    Swissvax brush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning the crevices full of gunk with a trustt toothpick

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

A little topper for the wood to really make it glow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Carpets were equally bad, heavily soiled and hardened stains.

I pre treated them with APC+ then used the Bissell LGM with Folex solution to extract the stains and agitate.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Interior all finished off

[​IMG]

Then I applied Gloss Finish sealant followed by a gloss enhancer QD wipedown.

All rubber ext. trim was treated was with 1Z Gummi Pledge

[​IMG]

The after shots, I'll admit this car was no prize even after finishing but the main goal was to repair the exterior scuffs and swirls and recondition the interior to like new state. I didnt go crazy with a final jeweling polish or special LSP.

Total time: 17hours

[​IMG]

No more scuffs:p:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car had some heavy swirls before but they were not very deep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner was more than thrilled with the outcome, she couldnt believe it was the same car with brake dust caked up and black scuffs all over.

2. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

does the gloss it extream cut dust a lot?

3. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

looks awesome

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I did a female owned BMW cab a little while ago. Exact same state of condition, right down to the wheels. Bloody good job.

5. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

What the ****! How can someone let their luxury car get that bad? Great job bringing it back to the way it should be. After giving it back to her you should have [​IMG]

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

What the fffffffffffff is wrong with people???

7. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Wow great job I hope you where more than compensated for you efforts.

8. virtual

virtual DB Pro Supporter

Wow! Awesome work you did here! :)
    The whole car looks just like new again.

How come you chose to hand polish those scuff marks, and not by machine?

9. DanPonjican

DanPonjican Birth of a Detailer

Dirt pwn3d!

10. oneshare325

oneshare325 Two Bucket System Washer

I have an e90 mush like this one, and this just brings me to tears, my whole car has ever been as dirty and ONE part of this one!!

11. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

I was going to ask if it was a woman who owned it because I bet those scuffs are from her shoes.

Great work man.

12. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Another GREAT detail. After seeing these details makes me want to try GLoss it more and more.
    That car was in horrable shape.

13. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

wow, that is a very sad sight indeed. Great work.

14. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job. I take it the scuff marks were just paint transfer and on the surface and not deep at all. I have seen a number of these types of scuffs and hand polishing will take them off no problem. Interior is just as impressive as the exterior.

15. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Thats a ton of paint transfer in a lot of odd places (she would have to be the worst driver in the world) LOL . I still thinks its from her shoes but that me.

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I did some test spots with the rotary and orange foam and then PFW and it did very little to the scuffs, so instead of trying to spot polish every scuff and run the risk or burning the clear on the isolated spots with scuff marks I went with hand polishing using the heavy compound and then followed up with a lighter polish and the cyclo. I found this combo to be very safe and very effective.

17. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

nice save on that interior, great detailed pics, how long did the interior take?

18. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Incredible job :applause2:

19. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

nice job! was that car in a accident? the gas cap and hood look a little off...

20. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Wow. That car was horrid. I can't afford one, but damn, even my Civic will never get that bad.

That's an awseome turn-around. Be proud of it.

You shoulda kicked her @$$ for letting the car get that bad :fs: