dsms detailed -Crystal Gray STi

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Jul 10, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

This detail was about as short notice as you can get. I was woken up this morning (at 10:30) by a call on my cell phone. It was from guy who I had been talking with about detailing over on IWSTI for some time. He's been wanting to schedule something for a while but just didnt have the time. Well this morning at 10:30 he found out that he did have the time, and asked if I could fit him in, today! Now he lives about 45minutes away from me which was also a conflicting factor. Now today was a supposed to be a day off but I decided I would do this detail anyway. So at around 12 this afternoon, exactly 1 hour and 30 minutes after he called, He (Jay) was in my driveway with this beauty and I began the detail.
    This was an exterior only job btw.

[​IMG]

This STi was done very tastefully! Coilovers, 35% tints all around, Limited front lip and of course as you can see there is NO UBER SUBY WING:headbang: At first I thought it was a limited but as the owner informed me it was a stock 06' which he tweaked a bit.

I began right away with the wheels, nothing to unusual here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to go with a safe bet using P21s gel after a thorough pressure wash.

[​IMG]

While I let that dwell I went to work on the wells using the black wheel shmitt and super degreaser, the tires were scrubbed with safe degreaser 3:1.

[​IMG]

After the wheels were finished I moved onto an ONR wash w/ a pair of shmitts, followed by claying with sonus. I was really shocked to find how smooth the paint was prior to claying. I figured the super unaggressive sonus would do fine.

Not to many bonded contaminants

[​IMG]

I found that bees seem to really love the smell of Megs last touch QD

[​IMG]

After the wash and clay...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I pulled the car in for some light polishing. The car had a few fine swirls so I went with Ultrafina and a white ccs. I decided to use the Flex 3401 instead of the Makita this time, lately the Flex has been designated to glaze and sealant application so I figured I'd do some polishing instead.

[​IMG]

Post polishing

[​IMG]

The LSP of choice was something very special. Its made by Gloss It and its called Signature Gloss. Its a polymer based sealant that has outstanding clarity and gloss, more so than Gloss Finish which is Gloss It's leading synthetic sealant. You can't buy Signature Gloss from Gloss It like any of their other products, its something that only certified Gloss It detailers are able to use, its still being beta tested and I was sent a sample from Rich Light, the founder of the company. The idea behind this super sealant is to have something which will keep customers comming back to Gloss It detailers instead of just buying a sealant for themselves to use. The real beauty of Signature Gloss is its durability...12-14 months durability:yikes: And no im not joking.

I applied only 1 coat of Signature Gloss to the STi and it looked really great! I used the flex with a blue finessing pad to apply it. After letting it cure for about 15mins it buffed off super smooth and then I wiped the car down with Gloss enhancer QD.

Some shots in the garage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I applied wheel wax and let it cure for about 10minutes

[​IMG]

More shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun was going away so I did the best with the outside shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was pleased with the outcome, Signature gave it that extra bit of gloss and wetness. Now when I poured some water on the rear quarter I was amazed at how fast the water sheeted off. I asked the owner if he would keep me updated with the durability of the sealant.

2. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Looking good man!:thumb:

3. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Looks great! Very reflective finish.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Lovely vehicle, but the drive way gets my attention :druling: love all the bricks :druling:

Vehicle looks great, thank you for sharing :peace:

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Looks really really wet. Nice look the Gloss It gives it. Haven't heard much about this line only what I've read in your posts. You make it look really good and I may have to look into this line as well!

6. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Looks very very good! The sealant does look good!

7. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

tastefully modded sti. Im trackscoob19 on iwsti BTW. Great Job on the detail. That sealant has me interested.

8. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

Very nice :thumb:

9. JLP

JLP Virgin Detailer

very nice, top job!

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That looks really great, fine work! The car is very tastefully done, not sure about the handlebars on the roof though!

11. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Nice work on such short notice dsms! I've thought about putting in a driveway like that. piet, you're too funny.

12. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I wasn't looking forward to the detail until the car arrived and I then I remembered how much I love Sti's:thumb:

13. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

looks great!

14. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Yea the driveway needed a re-do a few years back, glad you like it. Ive been lucky so far as not to stain it with wheel cleaners!

15. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Awesome work on that vehicle. It looks better than brand new!

16. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

You think I could do a single lane myself or should I just contract it? I was thinking of using larger gray bricks. Would wheel cleaners really stain it? I'd think it'd be more resistant to that stuff than asphalt sealant or at least let it just soak through without leaving a stain.

17. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

Great work as always, dsdms. That "Gloss It" line really has me intrigued.

18. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Love the color of that STi. I think that generation looks much better than the current one.

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

some more pics of that STi I found on my memory stick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

that's actually a roof spoiler for more downforce. If that STI were stock, it'd have the huge wing spoiler too and the difference between 04 and 06 is the roof spoiler and in the 06's, the wing spoiler is hollow