dsms detailed : 25hr correction/Carbon Black M5 :

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

The owner wanted his 2001 M5 (carbon black) perfected. Its been daily driven since 2001 to yet it still looked in very good shape, or so I thought. After washing and claying I found the car had heavy swirls all over and some deeper RIDS. Remembering it was 7 years old I figured the defects had just accumulated over the years.

This car would have been an easy correction job if the paint wasnt the absolute most finicky I have ever worked with! It was super soft and very easily hologrammed. How easy? Lets just say Ultrafina at 1200rpm on a black LC finishing pad left holograms!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture shows the bigger RIDS outlined in a circle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to achieve a full correction I needed to use an agressive polish/compound with an agressive pad but in turn that would just do more damage than good as I found out on my test section of the hood. After experimenting for over 5 hours I found a combo that worked, but barley. I started using Gloss It's paint correction polishes but they left holograms along with SIP, 106FF, Z-PC, M105 and Ultrafina. Rich at Gloss It told me a mixture which would be agressive enough to remove defect yet gentle enough not to induce its own swirl marks.

The process ended up being this

-Gloss It extreme cut and Gloss finish 50/50 mix w. megs burgandy pad on the Flex
    ( I began at speed 4 and worked down to speed 1)
    -Menzerna SIP at 1000rpm with a green CCS on the makita then refined at 600rpm for 7-8passes
    -Menzerna SIP w. green ccs on speed 3 using the flex again to work out that last bit of defect, then refined at speed 1 slowly again
    -Ultrafina w. blue LC finessing pad at 900rpm using no pressure to work out the holograms and again refined and finessed at 600rpm super cautiously

Working SIP w. flex, I used the flex with SIP after using SIP with the makita becuase that left nasty holograms and I couldnt really work it at a proper 1500rpm so I used the flex to further correct the finish and finesse out the majority of holograms

[​IMG]

After finishing up with Ultrafina, no holorams finally! But the Infratech wasnt enough to see if there were holograms or marring left so The car was inspected in direct sunlight to ensure no holograms were left after the last use of UF.

Once the sun confirmed the finish was perfect I moved onto LSP prep.

[​IMG]

I had to work UF an a snails pace of 900rpm, it took forever to breakdown but I wasnt going to risk more holograms. I used very little pressure with the LC blue finessing pad... a pad I normally reserve for applying glazes or sealants.

Post polishing shots in direct sun after IPA wipedown, no LSP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trunk was the most heavily swirled part of the car but it came out defect free after hours of endless polishing using low speeds and very little pressure

[​IMG]

These are some post polishing shots in the garage after a thourgh P21s TAW wash to prep the paint for LSP, the finish was back to life!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was very careful in drying the car and made sure to be super gentle, the last thing I wanted was to induce any last swirls before LSP

The wheels were already pretty clean thanks to the owner, they just needed a quick once over so out with the P21s gel and EZ/Swissvax brush combo, my personal favorite

[​IMG]

Exhaust were polished with Noxon using #0000 steel wool and then polished again using Megs NXT

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

The LSP of choice for the roof was not the same as the rest of the body which was treated to 2 coats of Gloss It Signature Gloss.

The roof was given a hand application of ClearKote RMG and then topped with 2 thin coats of the P21s 100% carbnauba.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RMG really was a great choice for the carbon black metallic paint on the roof

[​IMG]

After seeing the results on the roof I said there is no way the finish can be enhanced much more...

Boy was I wrong, Signature Gloss took the depth and clarity to another level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CRYSTAL CLEAR...

[​IMG]

Unfortunatley I finished a bit late and the sun had gone away but was able to snap some decent shots.. I got the car back today and the owner asked me for some shots in sunlight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reflections off the finish were the clearest I have seen, and this was a cloudy day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tires were dressed with CG extreme wet dressing and the wheels were sealed with 2 coats of Gloss Finish sealant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flake!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lower panels recieved full correction as well and were topped with Signature gloss too, I think it was worth lying on my back for all those hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reflections on a cloudy day were very decent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in the garage after a gloss enhancer QD wipedown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner was kind enough to bring the car back this afternoon so we could take some shots in the sun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car may be 7 years old but it sure doesnt look it, I think this looks much classier than the new model

All plastic trim was treated with Black Wow. Glass was cleaned with Sprayway and sealed with Z-CS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUN makes everything better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My reflection again in the hood, after that grueling detail and 25hours sweating in my garage I decided to take some of the hair off my head this morning at the barber shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saved the best for last, if you cant tell this is a reflection off the hood. The wetness, depth and clairty that Gloss It produces on this finish is incredible. Im no photography expert, thesse photos were taken by hand with a simple Sony point and shoot yet you can in extreme detail the brilliant colors of the trees in this reflection

[​IMG]

In total the paint polishing process took nearly 26 hours and in the end the car was finished swirl free and hologram free. After the first day the owner called me to see how it was comming along and I said to him if you want this car perfect I can do it but its going to take another 2 days and cost quite a bit more than the original estimate. The owner is a neurotic oral surgeon who demands perfection and when I asked how far does he want me to go he replied take all the time you need and do whatever it takes. Its really great to have commited customers who appreciate the time and effort that goes into this job.

In total this job was the longest and most grueling I have ever done and after trying and failing to produce a swirl and hologram free finish time after time I was about to give up, I figured the paint was just to finicky to work with. But I just couldnt let it go back the way it came, it got to the point where I didnt want to finish it for the customer but just for myself becuase I had invested so much time and effort already that giving up would be a stupid move. As I said before, in the end, as always it was all worth it. Hope you enjoyed this one, I know I did.....well when it was over at least at:mounty:

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That really does look amazing, a job well done! I hope you charged accordinly for that many hours of work! The paint looks flawless, I am surprised that it was finicky since it was BMW metallic.

Also, do you have any Adam's Undercarriage Spray? It would have really amped up the wheel wells!

3. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

Mmmm...black

Great work

4. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

perfection!!!

5. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

great work, why do you think the paint was so soft?

6. Chris

Chris Two Bucket System Washer

Paint looks fantastic love the blue flake.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great work there! It's crazy how that paint was so finicky!

8. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Looks awesome! I love the depth and clarity of P21s100%.

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Car looks great! Was just wondering what made you decide to do a different LSP on the roof as opposed to the rest of the car?

10. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

nothing beats carbonblack, I think I need a cold shower now!

I'm surprised you had trouble with the holograms, usually SIP is extremely effective since our clear is really soft and I can finish down just about hologram free with a green pad and SIP, then just go blue pad with 85rd real quick and its perfect. Maybe M5 clear is different than my M3 clear?

either way that paint is almost as amazing as the new batman movie! (haha j/k)

11. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

Friggin Awesome!!! Absolutely wicked job!!! :worship2:

12. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

In order to apply the gloss it stuff I needed to use the flex and massage it in slowly, I didnt feel like using it on the roof. Plus I was running very low on the sealant so I just grabbed RMG and P21s and did it by hand so I could use the other sealant on the rest of the body (2 coats btw).

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I agree. I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the paint. I did an M5 recently ( see 18 hours with an M5) and did the car with SIP on a green / orange CCS pad with no problems at all. Overall though, stunning finish on that car. The hours you put in were definitely worth it.:thumb:

14. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

Looks awesome......you blurred out every pic with a plate except one lol

15. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Awesome job. I love the e39 m5 and after a detail it looks even better.

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

The paint was beyond finicky and super soft to boot so I didnt want to go very agressive because I wasnt sure about what kind of damage I could do. So I had to use the the least agressive methods possible to get a swirl and hologram free finish. And working SIP and UF at well upder 1500 and 1800rpm took a very long time, plus every single panel top to bottom needed to be fully corrected and finished so it took quite a while.

17. std aja de

std aja de Any Rag Vehicle Washer

great job :D

18. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Thanks, btw thats an interesting user name.