dsms detail - Major Black Porsche Turbo Overhaul!

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, May 26, 2010.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo came down from Canada for a full correction. Overall this was one of the most extensive corrections I have done.

Initial condition, filthy as expected... a 650 mile road trip has its downside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car has Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Fikse wheels and PCCB's (gen 1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prep consisted of a thorough pressure wash of the entire exterior followed by foaming with a citrus soap.

After a few minutes the foam

[​IMG]

Wheels were cleaned using only soap and water, no wheel cleaners should ever be used on carbon ceramic brakes... not that you really need to as they dont generate very much break dust

[​IMG]

Before moving onto a 2 bucket wash I sprayed the car down with Opt. powerclean to loosen up whatever surface grime was left. While this sat I agitated all the trim pieces, crevices and badges

[​IMG]

Also treated the front bumper with surf city road grim destroyer to breakdown all the big splatter

[​IMG]

Car was washed and then clayed. Before taping it up I gave it a thorough IPA wipedown.

Onto correction...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the compounding haze

[​IMG]

Difference in clarity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After (when the car was finished)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up after compounding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

50/50 on the roof

[​IMG]

Top corrected, bottom untouched

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tails before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

After careful jeweling, zero haze left behind viewed under the TK40 Fenix (630 lumens compared to 240 in the TK10/11 I used to use)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finish after all correction steps, zero LSP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior was in decent shape, leather was cleaned and conditioned. All trim pieces cleaned and protected with 303, carpets protected with 303 fabric guard

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fikse wheels unfortunately had sever etching on the lips and inner barrels, nothing could be done without causing further damage but they cleaned up moderately well

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Dressed the trim with my patented application system also known as a foam stick :gidiup:

[​IMG]

Finished product...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clouds wouldnt break for some sun bursts unfortunately

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back inside for a second coat of powerlock and finishing touches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hood reflection

[​IMG]

I love this shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Owner came by taxi to collect his car at 6pm...

Here is how she looked just before taking the trek back to Canada, yes some may say its ridiculous to drive the car home after a detail but in reality it will only get dirty. The 7 years of abuse and defects which accumulated arent coming back anytime soon, especially not after 1 road trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 31hrs and 2 very late nights (or very early mornings you could say) the car was looking as it should. The owner drove to DetailersDomain imediately after to pick up a ton of stuff to maintain the car including grit guard buckets, gentle shampoo, mitts, tire dressing etc. Makes me happy to see someone go home with a perfect car and get all the essential things to keep it looking that way.

This was a long one and I thank you for letting me share. I think you will enjoy the next one as well, its black as well but it is not a Porsche :thumb:

I will leave you with a video walkaround...

YouTube - Street Dreams Detail - Porsche Turbo Revival

2. Atom Bomb

Atom Bomb Two Bucket System Washer

Absolutely amazing work! That Porsche was trashed. What kind of trim dressing did you use with that foam brush?

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Phenomenal work bringing this beauty back to life again, stunning work!

PS: the "outside afters" look really over processed, perhaps a little less saturation and it'll look a million times better!

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Wow. Yeah that Porsche was hammered. Pretty neat that the owner drove over 600 miles to have you take care of it.

Black looks so clean after it's corrected or even polished but man to perfect it . . . . . what a paint. You got it down to a science. Crazy to also see what a huge difference there is between point and shoot cameras vs DSLR's.

Nice pics and work as usual! Oh . . . . last thing. You finishing down with a Rotary or DA?

5. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

wow that's what I would call black!!! Amazing work bud!

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i would more so say the wheels are over exposed rather then it being over saturated. It's hard to have every single thing in a photo perfect. If the rims are properly exposed that will most likely mean the rest of the vehicle would be under exposed . . . . . but under exposed is generally better then over exposed as you can fix under exposed but you lose detail in over exposed photo's

7. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Incredible work dude. That paint was beaten to hell.

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

How do I fix that? Those were the shots straight from my Nikon. I only changed the ISO and WB for the outside shots, no post processing was done.

9. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Your work is truly remarkable Dave. One of your best corrections to date. Keep up the outstanding work man!!

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Stunning work David. What were the camera settings ? I love the look of the outside pics. The refection shot of the hood was crazy.

11. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

nice job your details seem to get better and better with each one. 2 questions for you if i may why shouldnt someone use a wheel cleaner on a car with ceramic brakes and where do you get your foam sticks they look cool id like to get some?

12. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

That thing was HAMMERED! Nice job bringing that back to life Dave! :mounty:

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

What programs do you have as far as post processing goes. Not sure what mode you shoot in on your D60 but there are a few ways to adjust that.

I would leave your iso set to 100 unless you really really need to bump it up, play with the shutter speed as well as your aperture. It is better to have a slightly under exposed photo then over. You can make some adjustments in photoshop or Nikons Capture NX2

you should be able to get those sticks at any paint store. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace etc . . .

14. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Great job Dave :mounty:

15. spK

spK DB Forum Supporter

nice work!
    IMO i would of taped off the entire front end of the car with painters tape, temp bra for the trip.

16. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Nice work, Dave. That's a nice car, too bad it's rocking such ugly wheels.

17. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

saw this car in person and let me tell you guys it looked dripping wet, great job again Dave :thumb:

18. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

amazing work, Dave! Question, did this Porsche have sticky paint?

19. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Dave, so i looked over your settings from your camera and for example:

[​IMG]

Here is your Data from that Photo:

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) 1/160 second ===> Try a slightly quicker shutter speed maybe 3 - 4 steps up.
    # Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 63/10 ===> ƒ/6.3
    # ISO Speed Ratings = 200 Change ISO to 100 . . . . . by having it at 200 it's making the camera that much more sensitive to the light thus in return making your images that much more over exposed.
    # Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
    # Light Source / White Balance = fine weather (9) same return to auto if possible
    # Flash = Flash did not fire
    # Focal Length = 220/10 mm ===> 22 mm

# White Balance = manual (1) I never messed with my white balance settings personally but try the preset or auto if there is one.
    # Contrast = hard (2) change back to 0 or factory setting
    # Saturation = high (2)
    # Sharpness = hard (2)

I hope that helps you Dave. Feel free to pm me with any questions and if i can help further i will.

20. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

SICK results!