dsms detail - If Darth Vadar was an Audi Fanboy...

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Brand new R8 V10 in for a New Car Preparation and Clear Film install.

This car is about as new as you can get, it was brought to me the day after delivery, some plastic wrapping still on. If only all owners had the restraint to let their new sports coupe get a proper detail and clear film install done before really taking it out for a spin!

[​IMG]

Started with the wheels and tires. AutoGlym CWC was used on the wheels, Optimum powerclean 3:1 on the tires and wheel wells. Wheel scrubbed using various brushes.

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Although brand new the car was fairly dirty from the ride to my place in New Jersey from New York.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some goodies left on the car from delivery, the owner left explicit instructions to NOT have the dealer remove any more than the necessary plastic protection from transport...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wheels I pressure washed the body and then sprayed the car down using Optimum Powerclean at 6:1 (more gentle ratio) to help loosen up some grime before foaming and washing.

Sometimes foaming dirty car doesn't loosen up grime as well as a pre-soak which IMO can cling to the body better and emulsify dirt really well... follow up with foam for good measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pre-cleaned all badges, cracks and crevices

[​IMG]

After rinsing and a quick 5 minute pre-foam I washed the R8 using my favorite shampoo... normally I would go with a Chemical Guys Citrus wash to remove old wax or sealant but the car came to me pretty much bare, nothing old to strip of so Lusso was the obvious choice, plus it smells incredible!

[​IMG]

After the wash I pulled the car inside with the heat on and begun the rest of the prep process.

First I clayed, very few contaminants if any were removed, car was generally clean.

[​IMG]

Headlights clayed also, clear film is going to be applied here so it needed to be prepped accordingly.

[​IMG]

After claying I patted the car dry with a waffle weave drying towel and then gave it a few IPA wipedowns to remove any streaking and prep for polishing.

[​IMG]

Next was taping, your pretty much looking at it :doh: Not much to tape on an R8. Paint readings were taken on every measurable panel, nothing abnormal, healthy levels of paint front to back.

[​IMG]

Onto machine polishing, despite being brand new the R8 did need a bit of polishing work, some areas had light defects, others (like the carbon fiber) had more serious defects and most importantly I needed to ensure all the areas that were to be clear filmed were in perfect shape.

Using the LC tangerine hydro pad at about 1900rpm to remove light defects from the finish, this pad works great on harder finishes with the rotary.

[​IMG]

Front clip was somewhat trashed, these areas marr up very easily.

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

Closeup after compounding

[​IMG]

After finishing, LED light only no other light sources.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carbon blade needed some extra work to remove the deeper defects. Whoever said brand new cars are unscathed is mistaken... factory defects still happen!

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Difference in jetness after polishing 1 side...

[​IMG]

Some Menzerna 85rd used for refining, 1200rpm and below to amp up "zeee gloss" ... thats German by the way in case you were curious.

[​IMG]

Finished result after IPA wipedowns, No LSP.

[​IMG]

And the LED shot

[​IMG]

The rear decklid was in good shape to begin with compared to a few other areas on the car, very minor defects but still a noticeable difference after correction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the second day all the needed areas that were to be clear filmed were polished and left WITHOUT ANY LSP in preparation for the film. I wiped down the clear filmed areas prior to install with IPA to remove any trace polishing oils.

John and Nick came in to install Venture Shield film on the entire hood, front bumper, front blades, side rockers, mirrors, A pillars, side skirts and rear bumper. These are all key areas that are perfect for clear film and a must if you plan on doing some real driving in a car like this.

The only film I recommend to my customers who are thinking about paint protection...

[​IMG]

Starting the prep for the install, I took some action shots of the boys doing their thing...

[​IMG]

Wetting the film with warm water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John working the finer areas and getting the film around the V10 badge

[​IMG]

Nick finishing the side mirrors

[​IMG]

They were going to use the ever so popular Plexus to protect and clean the film, while that is a decent product I convinced them to let me apply my sealants of choice later :giggle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side skirts have a pretty nice edge to them, not an easy piece to film

[​IMG]

Tedious task applying film to every single blade in the front bumper

[​IMG]

Heat gun helps set the film

[​IMG]

Rear bumper piece being installed

[​IMG]

The install took roughly a full day, John and Nick are perfectionists and I was happy to meet them and see their work/work ethic, the film protection came out perfect! More pics in the finished shots.

Back to the detail, rear plate area was in a sad state. Lots of RIDS and marring, not to mention buffer trails? I didnt think Audi buffed cars at the factory but I guess I was mistaken. There is no way this car was touched at the dealer, the owner was their to take it off the truck himself.

[​IMG]

After some M105 on a light cutting pad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finishing down this area took a bit of time as the slightest jerk of the polisher can leave a hologram on the soft plastic...

[​IMG]

Rear taillights were a bit rough as well, quite a bit of hazing. Some Menzerna Powerfinish on a light cutting pad followed by 85rd on a finishing pad worked beautifully.

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]

Onto the engine, I have to say I definitely spent the most amount of time with a buffer on this engine compartment than any other before it. I have machine polished air boxes and plenty of exhaust cans but the amount of carbon fiber in this engine bay takes the cake.

Well worth the time spent, a little over 1 hour was needed to get the carbon looking right.

Before shots, some hard water etching...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

106FA on a finishing pad worked very nicely, some more stubborn spots were hand rubbed out using M105 if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After correction I did an IPA wipedown and prepped the CF with Werkstat Prime before applying the first of 3 coats of Werkstat AJT, this sealant was ideal because of its easy application in tight areas, plus it just looks outstanding.

[​IMG]

Finished shots of the carbon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tidied up the plastic pieces under the decklid as well, protected with 303 protectant...

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Odds and Ends. Wheels treated with Rejex, tires with Swissvax Pneu (3 coats). Exhaust pipes protected with Rejex. Doorjambs sealed, interior got a light wipedown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First of 3 coats of Menzerna Powerlock curing, machined applied of course.

[​IMG]

Film finished, powerlock definitely amped up the clarity and slickness of the film too, notice the lack of orange peel that Venture film has compared to so many other brands!

[​IMG]

Finished result of Carbon Blade under halogen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished shots 7am time of pick up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full video writeup to come as well with in action polishing movies etc.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed.

2. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

for some reason powerlock didn't make this thing glow outside ( maybe its really cloudy )...But I remember Clark from PB had Vintage on similar color car and its was the wettest gray car I seen. its just my opinion.......im sure 915 will make it look wet, I think you have that......

3. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Sorry its not up to Polished Bliss standard... you do realize it was 7am when the outside shots were taken right?

5. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

of course Dave, im not knocking your work...I hope u're not offended. 7am-cloudy morning setting...I get it.

6. Wss03

Wss03 DB Forum Supporter

Looks great - 7am or not.

7. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

The "J" strikes again after bench press training/detailing break....(lol), tightness to start this "Uber car" out properly.

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

You did a flat out amazing job Dave! really like this write up. It just insane how great it came out.

Were you using 85rd on a 5.5" Hydrotech Crimson? If you did do you like it better than say an Uber blue finishing pad. I am wondering because I have the Hydrotech pad set. I have been looking everywhere for that Megs brush you used on the exterior but can never find it. Sorry for going off track on your thread man.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks awesome David! What brand are the gloves you are wearing?

10. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

was acrually wondering the same thing, the gloves looks like they are perfect for us cold climate people, how s the dexterity with them? easy to handle small brushes etc?

11. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Welcome back to posting your work!:tiptoe:
    Someday I will finish down as well as you do...

How much would it cost to fly you out to do a 1on1 detail session with me? Seriously.

12. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

Looks awesome! I love those cars! Question, isn't layer Powerlock redundant? I get two coats for coverage, but isn't a third kinda pointless? I'm not saying it is, just curious.

13. detaildoc

detaildoc DB Forum Supporter

Car looks amazing.

14. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

You are smoking weed again?

15. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Amazing work!

16. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

that lusso shot makes me want to go out and wash my car.......

what backing plates are you using? ive decided to buy a rotary and like those pads plates

17. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Simply outstanding work Dave . Really missed your writeups. Thanks for sharing .

18. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

amazing job as always Dave

19. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Phenomenal work Dave as always, I bet that rotary feels like a toothpick in your hands after your recent accomplishment haha. I bet your forearm is bigger than the rotary.

20. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Beautiful work Dave! Thanks for sharing