dsms detail - Ferrari F430 3 day Paint Correction

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

2008 Ferrari 430 in for a 3 day full correction, interior and engine detail.

[​IMG]

Began with the wheels and tires. Wheels were cleaned using regular soap and water with various brushes due to the carbon ceramic brakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wash process:

Foam w/ CG maxi suds
    Soak w/ Optimum Power Clean 5:1
    Hand wash using Lusso Oro

Brought inside with the heat on full blast (sub 40degree temps outside now)

Claying using ONR as lube

[​IMG]

After claying 2 IPA wipedowns were done before taping. I spent a lot of time masking this car to prevent a messy cleanup after correction. Most importantly the clear film edges on the front bumper, nose and by the side air intakes (upper and lower) were masked carefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hood clear bra line taped thick enough so that I can run over it with a buffer and still not be onto the clear film as I was using a rotary for correction on the un-filmed upper half of the nose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I took measurements with the PTG. The rear bumper and engine cover area were repainted a few months ago, I took careful readings and surprisingly they were very close to the factory levels, at most a 40micron difference in thickness. The color match job done was hands down the best I have seen

Factory reading...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re-sprayed panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto paint correction. I played around with the new Flex PE 14-2 which is quite a cool machine.

Products used... Meguiars M105, Sonax Perfect Finish (both for light cutting and finishing w/ varied pads)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Switched to the Griots DA machine in the side skirts to make for easier polishing, these areas get hit the worst with RIDS and scuffs...

[​IMG]

50/50, not every defect was able to be removed but the haze did come out into a nice gloss to match the rest of the car after polihsing

[​IMG]

After finishing

[​IMG]

Front nose needed a good bit of work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clear film correction. This was about the worst condition clear film I have dealt with. Far too many RIDS and scracthes to yield very high levels of correction, as usual I swicthed to a DA for the correction process on the film.

[​IMG]

After first pass

[​IMG]

After several more passes using Powerfinish with a tangerine cutting pad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was having a lot of trouble wiping the film without marring it, I tried several types of microfiber all of which left some light marring behind... mind you I waited until the plastic cooled fully before wiping it.

I ended up using the eurow shag towels which seemed to glide best on the film not cause it to marr :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top portion of film polished... bottom part untouched

[​IMG]

I had better luck with this part of the nose clear film, finally was able to get a high level of correction because the defects were not as severe...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polishing the rear decklid was a little tricky as the decklid sits adjacent to the rear quarter panel and I hate polishing over edges and onto another panel by mistake...

Soltuion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decklid defects (re-sprayed area)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 after compounding

[​IMG]

polishing with sonax perfect finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine took a bit of time to get right. Started with the exhaust, several polishing steps by hand a machine (on the can) to bring back the color

50/50

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

50/50 of the intake manifold...

[​IMG]

Again 50/50 difference in color with the left side untouched

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the trunk area, 50/50 of the cowl. Polished up plastic with Z-AIO to remove water spots

[​IMG]

Interior was generally clean. The main focus was cleaning the leather to remove an old dressing's sheen and restore a more natural matte finish.

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put 2 coats of Opti seal on the CF trim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polished the wheels using Werkstat prime followed by 2 layers of Rejex for protection.

[​IMG]

Finshed

[​IMG]

Then came the finishing details. Clear bra line had some old wax buildup which needed to be removed before LSP. I used a rather unusual toothpick/mini hotdog holder which I bought for instances just like this... worked great.

[​IMG]

Removed chalked up wax very nicely

[​IMG]

Old wax on mirror trim as well, before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Glass cleaned using some new towels I just got in which are designed for use in hospitals to clean windows. They are made to not leave streaks or residue behind because bacteria can apparently grow in the residual product left on glass (for cars not such a huge deal as we have been using glass towels forever but in a hospital i can see how this would be a concern)

Either way they work great!

[​IMG]

Up close

[​IMG]

LSP: Menzerna Powerlock x3

Finished shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No outside shots this time, finished around 9pm.... I could have finished at 5 and it would have still been pitch black outside, ah winter detailing :doh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final walkaround video...

YouTube - Street Dreams Detail - Ferrari F430 Finished Video

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

looks good.

3. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

great work dave! car looks stunning sucks about the clear bra... but better to leave be then over do it and ruin it

4. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Great work as always Dave, I always enjoy reading your write-ups. Looks dripping wet now.

-Kody-

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Awesome work David !

All your work is world-class - I am continually amazed at the level you take it to.

Really liked the idea of a plastic toothpick to clean out Clear Bra edges - where did you find those ?

How do you like using and the results of the SONAX line of polishes ? Are they still too new to have an opinion ?

Thanks so much for the perfect work, write up and pictures !

Dan F

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Solid!
    What did you use to clean up the intake manifold so well? PowerClean?

7. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Sick Dave. Not sure I could handle detailing in sub 40 degree conditions. Like you said crank up that heat.

8. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Great job. As usual.

Im assuming this client if from NJ. If you know where he got the car re-sprayed, please PM me. You mentioned it was best color match you have seen. Im probably going to do my front bumper come spring.

Thanks.

9. racedoc11

racedoc11 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I like the new Flex...How is it holding up

10. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job Dave!

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Fine work as usual Dave, looks dripping wet in those last pics. Very sharp reflections as well, must be minimal orange peel on this example.

12. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

"Looks great"

13. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

as soon as i saw the OJ gloves i new this was going to be a great detail !!! nice work dave..

14. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

real nice work dave. i got some of those glass towels myself that i have been playing with lately, except the ones i have are white. im really liking them, and have found that they work outstandingly well with just a little mist of DI water. i havent been able to MAKE them streak yet.

15. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Great work Dave fine attention to detail.:thumb: I was going to ask what do you use to to remove wax build but on black trim? As this is my hardest problem that I see with most vehicles that I detail, for the few clients that I do have.

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Don't you mean a "killer detail" . Great job Dave. Finished pics are outstanding!

17. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

yes i did!!! lol :applause:

18. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Bar raised again Dave.

19. Paint Protection Orlando

Paint Protection Orlando Detailers Advertising Scheme

20. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Outstanding attention to detail...