dsms detail - 88' BMW... last favor I ever do

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Aug 18, 2009.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

1988 BMW 6 series.

The car was booked for a mid level correction detail but ended up taking twice and long and being a giant, massive headache.

I did a quick inspection when it was dropped off, paint was heavily swirled but the PTG readings were nothing to extreme (220-260microns) which I thought was high but not high enough to be considered a repaint. I figured the paint shouldnt be too difficult to work with as I have done 2 older BMW's prior.

Well... I couldnt have been more wrong. After closer inspection under the lights I found runs in the finish, even higher paint readings on certain panels (450+) and solvent pop everywhere. The car has be re-sprayed and the owner did not know.

More on that later, first I had to wash the damn thing.

Wheels were treated with Brake Buster on the face and the inners need Megs WB 4:1 along with some Tardis

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Most of the trim was faded and cracking...after some light agitation some dirt dripped down the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The was hand down the HARDEST clear I have ever polished.

My initial combo to handle the swirls was M105 w/ a black TufBuf wool pad. I figured a 2 step process was sufficent initially but the first 2 passes with 105 did barely anything.

After doing a test spot on the hood with the rather agresive combo I realized I achived about 4% correction and barely a dent was made. After 2 more hits still little luck.

I sent a PM over to Billy (PresidentialDetail) inquiring about the KB method and with his pointers I gave it a shot as I had no other options.

Under the halogens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the KB method (my own take on it as least) and I was able to get about 90% correction... some scratches were beyond repair and I wasnt gonna chase them.

My process:

-M105 w/ TufBuf wool pad using KB method (primed pad and water spritz's) 3-4 Hits per section 2100 - 2700rpm

-SIP w/ Orange DD cutting pad

-106FA w/ DD blue finishing pad

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

The combo worked well on the hard paint but I had some dusting issues as you can see...

[​IMG]

Befores...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

Before, dull

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aft

[​IMG]

The trunk after the first 2 passes of M105, about 80% but it was getting there

[​IMG]

After more M105, then the SIP in the sun

Still some rids left, not a big deal as this was not a 100% job

[​IMG]

I pulled the car out after the IPA wipedown to check my work

[​IMG]

Everything looked pretty good, no holograms from the wool correction:applause2:

Back in the garage for more un-funess

The passenger side panels had more serious issues, more dull than the driver side. These areas were worked at 2400+ rpm

Before...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

I finished up correction and re-washed the car. I hate doing it but the dust was in every crack and crevice.

After which it was dried, giving another IPA wipe and I applied DWG by the Flex DA at speed 4. I worked it in until clear and buffed off imediately.

DWG added a nice depth and slickness, I find with silver cars you gotta do whatever you can to make them look as wet as possible.

I pulled it out around 6 (not what ya think pervs)... No LSP yet, just a couple shots outside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back inside I began the interior work which wasnt too bad and dressed all the trim and polished all the metal accents (some parts were too far rusted to bring back)

LSP of choice:

Jetseal 109 x2

Finished pics after FK425 wipedown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Notice the trim piece on the passenger side, cracking off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was one of the most frustrating corrections I have worked on. The biggest issue was that I booked (and charged) for a 12hr detall and ended up spending 20hrs.

I know the owner (young man) bought the car used as a restoration project and asked if I could help him out. If I stopped at 12hrs the car would have still looked like crap. I did everything I could in the timeframe I had to make it look presentable.

He went home a happy camper and the genuine smile he made when he saw it made the extra hours go down easier but I made a promise to myself that I will do no more favors! Paint correction shouldnt be a favor, it takes too long and in the end most people never fully appreciate what you have to go through.

Thanks for looking

2. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

That car looked like it was crying for help.. And you helped it. Good job man, nice turn around!

3. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Good work, Dave. That was an insane amount of work! But you made it clear. And I agree--some defects just aren't worth chasing..

Again, nice job!

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

wow, that is pretty impressive....also that clear is hard as nails it seems! Probability makes my VW clear seem like pudding, haha. Great job!

5. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Sounds like you had your hands full :giggle: Turned out real good though....nice work :thumb:

6. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Great Job though! Chalk it up to a learning experience :doh:

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That is some fine paint correction my friend, consider it a good deed done well!

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Very nice work on that classic BMW. Yes, favors like paint correction isn't something I'm giving...simply because it is not appreciated as it should be...

9. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

I remember those cars when they 1st came out, they were the shiznik.

Fantastic Job dsms, looks great :applause:

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Awesome job man!

11. richy

richy Guest

Dave...you did some really nice work there. Can you imagine if that bad boy was black? You did the only thing available to you: crank up the rpm's! I know on some tough jobs I've had, that was the only thing that worked...and it worked for you here. Ever heard of pay it forward? You have. God Bless.

12. jb1219

jb1219 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

i love those old bimmers. it looks fantastic now... not my car, but thanks for the hard work!

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great job David. That was messed up!

14. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

Great Job:thumb:
    and those rims man remembers my days at high school very long time ago...
    thanks for sharing

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Look at the old school Borbet wheels, has those on my 87 CRX Si until I saved enough for BBS RS in(wait for it) "15 inches strong (lmao) . Dave you have now learned from your mistake........... but after listening to all my war stories of brutal corrections from the nineties YOU should have learned from MY mistakes CHief.

Great work, now if you book a Ferrari you will probably make some good money(lol).

16. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

looks like it was a lot to handle but geat job in the end making it look fantastic

17. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

18. bentley147

bentley147 Jedi Nuba

thats was true wat u said at the end dave .people dont care much ...but detail did come out good ...u learn from your mistakes

19. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Love the "shark" still my fav BMW> You did an amazing job bringin the paint to better then new

20. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Eh, 3 days on this DB9 will put back some shekels in my pocket:shrug: