dsms detail - 50hr. Range Rover Correction

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Black Range Rover Supercharged in for a mini restoration detail. Previous owner really neglected the car and the new owner wanted it back to new inside and out.

Some shots outside before I got to wash the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Began with wheels and tires, I raised the suspension setting to its highest and got started on the wheel wells.

[​IMG]

Tires before...

[​IMG]

After..

[​IMG]

Wheel well before..

[​IMG]

Cleaned with various brushes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car was foamed with a mild degreaser and washed with citrus soap before being pulled inside.

After claying part of the hood

[​IMG]

I re-dried the car and gave it 3 alcohol wipedowns before starting correction... after washing off some prior glaze I had to make sure everything was clean and stripped. Underneath the finish was worse than I initially though.

Measured the finish with the PTG and saw very consistent readings.

I assessed about 10 single or cluster scratches that would need wetsanding, first of which was on the passenger door.

Onto correction...

[​IMG]

The "J" hook scratch and surrounding area was sanded with 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit

[​IMG]

After correcting, 95% of the J hook was removed, the last part of the tail seen just above the door handle still remained.

[​IMG]

Before rear door

[​IMG]

After passenger door

[​IMG]

Some 50/50s... Correction included 3-4 passes with a wool pad, followed by foam compounding than polishing... finishing was done later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little closer with just the infratech this time and a camera flash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up

[​IMG]

Video 50/50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wool and foam compounding, 2100+rpm as needed

[​IMG]

Lower rocker 50/50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually start with the hood for correction but since it needed some more wetsanding and would get messy with soap and water I left it until later in the process

Took a few extra readings to ensure I could sand safely

[​IMG]

Had my paper soaking for about 40minutes, various grits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the wetsanding done and started correcting the raised sides of the hood

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Difference in clarity...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front bumper had some issues as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LED 50/50

[​IMG]

The plastic hood vent cover needed polishing as well. Some hard water etching could not be removed with hand polishing so I used the DA and a 2 step process to correct it

Before, a bit dull

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After 2 passes of compoudning

[​IMG]

You'd be suprised what you can pull out of plastic when you "think" its already clean

[​IMG]

Came back again with a softer pad and lighter cleaner polish

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

Same deal on the side vents only waterspots were the issue as much as runs in the plstic

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Hand polished behind the handles, unfortunately anything short of wool compounding wouldnt do much help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I went into the final finishing stage I began on the interior first

[​IMG]

The owner pointed out the leather didnt feel or smell like leather anymore and I suggested the leatherique treatment.

I have only done this once before and the second time around I tried some new methods to help the process.

Goal was simply to get rid of the mild shine on the seats, bring back some suppleness and give it a natural look.

Began with a through vacuum of the seats and crevices,

[​IMG]

Before applying the oil I heated up the seats with the heat gun to soften up the pores and allow for the RO to spread a little easier

[​IMG]

Massaged in the rejuvenator oil by hand

[​IMG]

Ive been told the leatherique kit works best with time and heat... time wasnt and issue but heat was as my garage was about 68degrees with the heat on full blast so again the heat gun came in handy.

So after applying the rejuvenator oil I used the heat gun on low setting and worked over the leather.

I did this about 4 times in a 24hr. period
    Also applied the RO to the steering wheel in hopes to get rid of the grime and oily look... this stuff is thick!

[​IMG]

Same process was repeated for the passenger seat

Passenger seat before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All covered

[​IMG]

After sitting overnight the seats absorbed a good bit of the oil, once again I hit them with the heat gun

[​IMG]

Fast forward a few more hours to make a full day of sitting and it was time to remove the rejuv. oil and proceed with the 2nd step of the process

Spray on the pristine clean and work it in with a brush

[​IMG]

Use a hot damp towel to wipe away the excess product and see what you left with

[​IMG]

Nice matte finish on the leather, no more greesy steering wheel

[​IMG]

All finished

[​IMG]

Definitely helped with mattifying (own word) the leather and restoring the supple feel, these seats werent really jacked up so I'd like to see how well this kit does on other cars

I finished the rest of the interior work. Made sure all the door jambs and small compartments were sorted out as needed

[​IMG]

Gave the spare tire compartment a vacuum, sealed the wheel with a quick coat of JS109 and dressed the tire, just wanted everything to look uniform same on on the exterior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worlds longest exhaust tip cleaned and polished :giggle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before LSP I pulled the car outside to inspect my work, sun wasnt strong enough to show a whole lot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back inside to finish everything, the car seemed to have an endless need of work, I will be so happy to work on a 2door coupe next week.

Started on the trimwork, 50/50 on side mirror

[​IMG]

Engine got a mild cleaning

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

The front window cowl was shot... faded gray with scrapes in it, after extensive cleaning and several coats of dressing it got only marginally better

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

I usually wait to do the pedal section last, moving the car forward and back in the garage just gets it dirty again anyways

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some finishing touches cleaning up all the vents and door jambs

[​IMG]

Before the final DI water wipedown I dusted the car down... this thing has really earned its keep in the garage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick halogen shot with all the other lights off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video:

[​IMG]

Spent just over 50hrs. from start to finish. Big writeup and I thank you for taking the time to read it.

:thumb:

2. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

great job on a hammered rover the client is going to be very happy i'm sure an that should bring in more business. awesome attention to detail an perfect clarity .:thumb::applause::thumb:

3. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

awesome job the finished vehicle looked great

4. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Incredible work Dave... WOW!

5. leamangriffin

leamangriffin Two Bucket System Washer

sick job dude.

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Looks awesome Dave! Nice touch with the business card. :)

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That's a lot of hours, but what work went into it going from such a mess to what you accomplished in the end. Very impressive.

8. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Enjoy reading your work, I always picked up a tip or 2 from your writeup, excellent work..

9. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Birth of a Detailer

Top-notch bro. The leather looks perfect in the afters: no nasty build up and shine. The paint is perfect and everything was well planned and documented. Great write-up!

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great job, Rover looks great!

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Great work Dave!

12. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

Great job Dave.

13. CG SoCal

CG SoCal Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great Save on that neglected beast. Impressive wirte up and pix as well. Nice work.

14. bimmer nation

bimmer nation Birth of a Detailer

wow man crazy detail looks really good
    quick question wat is the point of the DI wipe down??? like what does it do compared to a iso wipedown??

15. Paint Protection Orlando

Paint Protection Orlando Detailers Advertising Scheme

Outstanding work as usual!

16. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

looks great as always. what tire dressing and what yellow tape is that. is it better then regular green r blue one??

17. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

wow amazing!

18. BimmerSean

BimmerSean Any Rag Vehicle Washer

That's what I call " Taking it from the Shit-house to the Pent-house".

Sean,,,,,

19. floraneg

floraneg Birth of a Detailer

No way that is the same car!

Fantastic job there. I hope to be half as good one day.

20. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

Great work Dave....what type of sandpaper are you using for the wet sanding? What did you use on the leather?