dsms detail - 40hr. Hacked BMW Restoration Detail

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Aug 4, 2010.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Complete 4 day paintwork restoration on a Monaco Blue BMW 135i.

Backstory, in bullets:

-Car was bought with 10k miles on it
    -New owner saw car on dealer lot looking clean and very glossy (glaze fillers)
    -After a few weeks of washing the gloss was lost and real finish revealed
    -Paintwork had very little depth, clarity or wetness and new owner wanted all of the latter brought back to the car

Some before pictures in sunlight. Car had lots of RIDS, swirls and was covered in machine holograms as the dealer attempted to fix the prior damage and ended up making it worse. Along with that caked up wax and polish residue was left in nearly every crack and crevice.

If you dislike lots of correction shots and 50/50's this writeup may not be for you. The main focus was the correcting the finish as NO interior work and NO engine detail was carried out on this detail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels cleaned using Sonax wheel cleaner applied to the wheel DRY followed by Iron Cut

[​IMG]

Car was beading well due to obvious glaze fillers left over from the dealership, all of which needed to be stripped off 100% before correction. The above sun shots were after the wash stage (no IPA yet)

- Pressure washed the finish followed by a 5 minute foaming using CG citrus wash
    - Foam rinsed off and the car was sprayed down with Optimum Power Clean at a 5:1 dilution
    - Finally a 2 bucket wash was carried out with a strong mixture of straight Dawn

Clayed using a riccardo bar with ONR as lubrication in a Kwazar bottle, which is an absolute must for at least your wheel cleaner and clay lube.

[​IMG]

After clay the finished was wiped with straight IPA multiple times until it was squeaky clean.

Here is the car all prepped and masked after taking the necessary paint readings

[​IMG]

Onto correction. After a bit of time playing around with combinations I decided on a process which yielded me the best result, safely. I began playing with foam pads but that was yielding me only 80-85% correction while generating a lot of heat. I decided wool was need to correct the car properly.

Process as follows

M105 on black wool pad (2x)
    Menzerna SIP on DD Yellow Cutting Pad
    Menzerna 106FA on a LC tangerine hydro
    Menzerna PO85rd on a DD Black pad

All 50/50 and correction shots taken after the first 2 correction steps (no finishing polishes) and straight IPA wipedowns to ensure zero filling

Hood under the halogens, deep RIDS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After wool and foam compounding, great difference in clarity without using a lightsource.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light compounding with 4" foam around the washers, tape removed after wool so I could clean up the areas tightly around the washers and also remove some of the tape lines left behind after compounding.

[​IMG]

Closeup of defects under Fenix TK40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front fender was done entirely with 4" wool and 4" cutting pads as larger pads made for uneven correction on the contours

[​IMG]

Trunk section, some more serious RIDS

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the wool holograms with a DD cutting pad

[​IMG]

50/50 Trunk under halogen

[​IMG]

Closer view

[​IMG]

Wooling out the rear quarter

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Here is a great example of 2 things, first being general neglect from the original owner and second is heavy machine holograms left by the dealer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The door... I took a bunch of different shots from all angles with both my SLR and Point and Shoot camera to show all the defects and difference in color before and after correction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under LED light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

3" pad work here, lowered speed on the makita and spent more time making passes to work out the defects

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Here is a video 50/50 of the passenger door

YouTube - Street Dreams Detail - BMW 135i Before and After Paint Correction

The funny thing about hacks is, and luckily for me, they are not extremely thorough when buffing out cars.

Notice how the rear bumper has substatially less defect and holograms compared to all the major panels? This is more realistic of how much defect you would find on a car with about 10k miles on it

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

And back to a bit more hack'age but still not terrible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tailight before

[​IMG]

Finishing down with 85rd after 105

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

50/50 on drivers door into rear quarter, few RIDS I was unable to remove

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Only very light marring in this strip between the kidney grill and headlight, knocked out in 2 steps with only little compounding needed, no wool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 on front bumper

[​IMG]

Once all the compounding with wool and foam was finished I gave the car one more IPA wipedown and moved onto the finishing stages, here is the 135 out in sunlight after finishing down to check my work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This..

[​IMG]

To this..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car was finished with 2 layers of Menzerna Powerlock, wheels treated with Rejex sealant for protection.

Finished car at 7pm. Finished shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner came to pickup and was beyond ecstatic with the result, I had kept him updated with correction shots through the process and when he finally came I went over the whole car with him using the LED light.

[​IMG]

Remember that door before?

[​IMG]

In total after I added up all my hours spent on each day this detail came out to about 39hrs, a bit over my original estimate of 30-32.

The owner wanted his new BMW to look like a proper Monaco Blue BMW should and after talking with him for a very long time before even starting the job I knew how much he was looking forward to the end result. Its great to have enthustastic people who really care about the work that was put in. He asked for a lot of pictures and as you can see from the above writeup... I kindly obliged :picture:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. Road Trash

Road Trash Birth of a Detailer

A job well done. As always.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Stellar work, looking a HEAP better in the afters.

When buying a used car, and thinking the finish is in "OK" shape, how is one to really make sure what the paint looks like underneath all the glaze and fillers? Just do an IPA wipe down on the forecourt?

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

wow. car looks great man. Talk about hacked up in the beginning. That BMW was horrible! So sonax is strong enough to tackle BMW brake dust?

I see in the background that you have a huge stock pile of pads LoL. Always great work though and camera skillz Dave. Gloss was brought back for sure and then some.

5. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Nice work Dave! Nice to have customers who really understand all the work that goes into perfection!

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

David, you trully are doing some AMAZING paint corrections out there! Dude, the car looks sooooooo goooooood it's kinda hard to describe!!! And knowing the hardness of BMW clear coat (I have 2 BMWs), I know how hard it is to get there.
    I still have a lot to learn from you!

7. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Amazing work as always Dave, that thing was hammered and like you said is now a true Monaco Blue, great job man.

8. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Top shelf effort as always Dave. I can only imagine how pleased the owner must have been when seeing his NEW car :thumb:

Not sure if I missed it but what black wool pad did you use?

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Great job dave. that blue looks spectacular.

10. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Amazing work as always Dave....

11. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i would also like to know Dave what black wool pad that is.

12. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

looking great!

13. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

"Crisp supercleaness" again.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Fantastic work Dave.:awesome: I almost cried at the close ups of the RIDS.

15. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

Dave,
    You are a magician. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great work Dave!

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great work Dave!

This is my guess but I want to say it's a TufBuf wool pad. The TufBuf wool pads are by far my favorite wool pads to use.

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Hey Dave, was this an $11,000 detail?

OH MATE I JUST HAD TO!!!

19. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Nope, he one-up'ed the guy. This one was $15,000!

Lol!

20. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Very nice work. It's sad to see that the advancements in glazes these days are mostly utilized to fool prospective automotive buyers.

Amazing turn around nonetheless.