dsms - Black Porsche 911, my biggest correction!

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Nov 13, 2009.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Black Porsche 911, hands down the swirliest car I have corrected to date.

I did this car well over a month ago, just haven’t had the time to sort through all the pictures and put a write-up together.

Started off with the wash process. Did the wheels first, various wheel cleaners and brushes used. De-tarred the inner barrels Tires and wheel wells scrubbed.

Ragtop pressure washed and cleaned first.

[​IMG]

Pre-soaked the finish with a biodegradable APC, needed the finish fully stripped before correction.

[​IMG]

2BM using concentrated shampoo/degreaser and MF mitts. I then clayed the car, used up 90% of a bar unfortunately.

Clay after some of the hood...

[​IMG]

I dried the car with some DetailersDomain waffles and gave the paint an IPA wipedown to prep it for correction. All emblems and edging were taped off after the alcohol prep.

Onto correction, paint had some issues ...

[​IMG]

The finish had a very hazed look, almost gray. Lost of rids, marring and some water etching.

50/50 after the first 3 stages of correction, a total of 4 correction stages were needed to get the car to a 98-100% level. I waited to finish the car down completely until I did the final wash on it after all the compounding… lots of wetsanding combined with some wool correction makes for a very messy car with some splatter and residue.

Much easier to just gently re-wash the car rather than continually doing alcohol wipedowns, less friction in trying to remove polish dots and residue when you use a slick soap and proper wash.

In compounding with a very very aggressive method, 3-4 hits were needed to get out the very heavy defects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video 50/50 of the hood

[​IMG]

Front bumper before

[​IMG]

Making progress...

[​IMG]

Rids on passenger front bumper, camera flash coupled with LED light

[​IMG]

After correction, same angle, lighting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-pillar before, under LED

[​IMG]

A-pillar after, under LED

[​IMG]

Working my way around the rest of the car, same stuff, different panels

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Onto wetsanding, there were 6 clusters of scratches which needed wet sanding attention.
    4 of the 6 clusters were sanded starting with 1500grit paper, refined with 2000grit and then 3000grit to finish uniformly. The other 2 cluster were handled with 2000 and 3000.

Gouges on the driver rear quarter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After wetsanding

[​IMG]

Laid down a bead and corrected with wool at high rpm

[​IMG]

Scratches gone after a few passes with the wool, lots of hazing and micro marring to clean up

[​IMG]

Finished down

[​IMG]

Readings taken before during and after, still healthy readings after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 on convertible cover

[​IMG]

Working around the engine cover, taillights and bumperettes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More wetsanding on the passenger rear quarter. Smaller cluster in this area basically one big L type scratch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wool correction L scratched handled, cleanup time next with follow up steps (2)

[​IMG]

After that another cluster was sanded

Before

[​IMG]
    sanded

[​IMG]

after (halogen handle in reflection unfortunately, no that’s not the old scratch)

[​IMG]

Door before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door after (left side only) after first 3 stages of correction, after which the car was re-washed and finished down

[​IMG]

50/50 passenger door

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video 50/50

[embed] [​IMG][/embed]

After all the correction was finished (20 something hours worth) I re-washed the car. Foamed it first.

[​IMG]

Foam/degreaser + the wash did a very good job of cleaning the paint to prep it for final finishing.

After drying the car I snapped 1 good sun shot, solid sunburst with almost no holograms made me very happy…. This made the final finishing process fail easy to carry out, the goal was to level the paint as much as possible BEFORE final finishing or jewelling and that stage to take it to the next level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back inside to finish it down, I used some rotary and some DA for correction but for final finishing I prefer the rotary.

3” pad worked well on the contours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished final polishing around 5, gave it a final wipedown and pulled the car out to see the result before LSP

After final polishing, no LSP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very happy with the level of clarity now, still some enhancements to be made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulled it back inside to apply LSP, do the interior and final touches.
    Interior was in okay shape, really wanted it to look brand brand new with a faint matte finish

Seat cushions removed

[​IMG]

The leather was treated a few times to get rid of the slight greasy finish prior and leave a soft natural feel behind.

Finished interior, I spent about 2 hours total on the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keyhole, all plastic pieces etc finished up

[​IMG]

While the LSP was curing up all the trim and glass were done. Tailpipes before

[​IMG]

Tailpipe after. Wheels were then sealed, glass cleaned, all trim dressed etc.

[​IMG]

Excuse the leaves

[​IMG]

Seals treated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final shots, straight from the camera to Photbucket. Used Nikon D60 w/ kit lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finish under the LED, no defects, no holograms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long way from this…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a long time to finally get this one up, now its done... and im curious what they'll say now :shrug:

Time on the 911 was just under 30hrs, thank you for taking the time to read this whole thing

2. jorge

jorge Virgin Detailer

Wow :yikes:

Great job Mate, the after...and the before...:applause:

Nice report!

Best regards,

Jorge

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

what did you use to treat the seals?

that car was beyond knakered. nice work :applause:

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Stunning results David! Looks awesome. Those clarity shots before LSP are unbelievable. Looks like I'll have to step up my game a bit!

5. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Amazing work David. Thanks for taking us through this write-up. Enjoyed it thoroughly. As Ken said. Time to step up my game :)

What did you end up using to compound in terms of polish?

6. Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Dude, that's incredible work. Thanks for another great write up. Those final reflection shots are just plain sick! :thumb:

7. TONY MONTANA

TONY MONTANA DB Forum Supporter

that car was trashed very nice job

8. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

9. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

nice, looks like I need to stop buying LSPs and work on polishing, at the first outside shot I thought it was done but then you took it up 2 more notches.
    I need a paint thickness gauge though as my cars scare me that their paint is too thin for a real correction.

10. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

David, that car was hammered! Awesome turnaround it looks amazing. Kudos.

11. bentley147

bentley147 Jedi Nuba

woooooooooooooowwwwww ..good save

12. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

Sweet job and nice writeup!

13. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

wow really great turn around. How long did all that take you?

14. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Great job! What was your lsp?

15. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

amazing work, David! I really enjoy those details of yours. Question, is there a reason you did some correction by PC instead of rotary? I'm still learing my rotary, but I can tell you for sure I'm not going back to PC, it's like polishing yourself instead of paintwork, I get so tired...

16. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Nice save Dave. I see you had to take some L-Leucine to power through that detail. Good job.

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Man that Porsche was TRASHED! Great job at making the recovery!

18. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Any reason for being so secretive about products??? Have to say this is the first detail on here that was so uninformative about products used. Just not usually the way I see it done here on DB.

19. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Explanation inbound on why in a pm...................

20. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

From ashy to classy, wow! Some hard work went into this one apparantly!