Driven Auto Detail: 2008 G6

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by mShu7, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

This car belongs to a friend of mine. He bought it to replace a Grand Prix that his daughter totaled in the last snow storm. This is an '08 G6 GT with 18K on the odo that was previously a rental car. Apparently, it had been detailed by the company it was purchased from. It was a piss-poor job, that's for sure.

The exterior didn't appear to be in THAT bad of shape...until I washed and clayed it. Once I pulled it out in the sun, it looked like it had been washed with one of those wheel brushes at the local DIY wash. The paint was a non-metallic black paint and from what I've heard, it supposed to be crazy soft, which would have made sense. However, it was the complete opposite. The paint was hard as a rock which made the damage even more astonishing. The pictures don't do the swirls justice. This car kicked my butt, big time. I started around 10am and finished around 6pm.

After washing and claying, I tested the paint. Nothing I threw at it did much. I decided to go with the Makita (1700), Edge green light cutting wool, and OC. This knocked down some of the damage but definitely left marring. I followed this up with the Makita (1500), an LC grey finishing pad and OP. This seemed to remove the damage from the wool & OC combo. Even after these two steps, the paint was still in need of a lot more work. I just didn't have the time to do anymore so two steps was all I could do.

After polishing, I applied OCW v2 and then a final wipe down with OID. Tires received Optimum Tire Shine.

The inside was vac'ed, carpets and upholstery were treated with Folex and then steam cleaned, the plastics/vinyl were cleaned with Simple Green (30:1) and then treated with OPP. The carpet GM used in this car was awful. It was like trunk carpeting. It reminded me of the carpet in my Mazda3.

Engine was cleaned with Simple Green (forget dilution) and then treated with Meg's HD (2:1).

By the way, I'm still learning the rotary so I'm not sure if the polishing steps I used were the best options so I'm open to constructive criticism.

Also, disregard the residue on the trim around the bottom of the car. I forgot to tape that area before I got started polishing. I got it cleaned up after I took the pics.

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was after claying the trunk lid and the rear bumper cover. The rest of the car didn't need much claying.
    [​IMG]

Remember, this car was detailed before I got it. Apparently, they used one of those aerosol bombs to get rid of the smokey smell inside the car:
    [​IMG]

After washing/claying:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final results:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are deceiving, but it's the best lighting I had at the time:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

Nice save mShu7 on a very abused ride! :applause2:
    Yes, the carpet is thin and shows wear bad. I have started using micro-fiber towels to do any scrubbing during a shampoo. Brushing seems too harsh. How about the GM special "stain attracting seats" option? Any trouble with those?

How is business in your part of the state?
    Dave

3. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

Thanks DLR. That's a good idea about the carpets. I'll have to try that in the future. The seats sucked as well. After steam cleaning them, they looked like I had done NOTHING to them.

Business is slowly starting to pick-up. I can tell a direct relation between the weather and the amount of phone calls/business I get. I wish it would get warm and stay warm for once. I'm sick of this back and fourth crap.

How's biz for you?

4. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

I was down on my usual last minute rush of "Spring Breakers". I am down slightly overall from last year at this time as well. I am sure $3.00+ gas and the lousy weather has something to do with it. My buddy in Lafayette (fixed location) is down slightly on his retail work also.

:waiting2: on some warm sunny days!

Good luck!
    Dave

Sorry to get this off track. :sorry:

5. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

That car was swirl city and the clay bar is one of the worst i have seen in a while, Great recovery on the finish and great job!!!!!:thumb:

6. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Nice job mShu7! That's definitely some dirty clay.

7. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Nice job Mike....that G6 was in rough shape. Hope business picks up soon.

8. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Wow, great job, car was in bad shape.

9. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Great work Mike. Nice turnaround.