Door panel cleaning

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by StiCy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. StiCy

StiCy Birth of a Detailer

I am working on getting the interior of my Subaru legacy detailed. Some of the door panels and trim on the door jam has spots on them. I think they are water spots. What can I use to remove them? I tried wiping it down with a wet microfiber, but it looks like I need something stronger. The door panels are plastic. I know that speaker grille is going to be a pain to clean.

Here are some photos. See all that white stuff on the panels middle "seam" and in the speaker grille?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rooster_Cogburn

Rooster_Cogburn Virgin Detailer

1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner and a Swissvax Detail brush. It's a great combo for textured plastic like that. For the speaker grill, spray it on the brush first...unless you can pop the grill off, which would make your life a little easier.

3. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I'd just hit it with #40.... always works for me.

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

you might wanna take that door panel off BEFORE hitting that speaker grill with a cleaner...otherwise, you might damage that speaker...

5. StiCy

Yeah, thats a good point. Should just pop right off.

What do you guys think that stuff is? Acid rain?

6. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

It looks to me like a film that built up in the grill, the sv brush spritz with a little apc should break it up.

7. StiCy

I orderd 1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner "Plastik-Reiniger" and 1Z einszett Cockpit .

8. Rooster_Cogburn

Rooster_Cogburn Virgin Detailer

You won't be disappointed - both are great products!

9. yukon cornelius

yukon cornelius Birth of a Detailer

I've had good results using a steamer to clean interior plastics.

10. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Woolite 10:1 with a wash mit(wring out most of the solution), followed by a dry M/F...:chips:

11. StiCy

I figured I would give the 1Z stuff a try. Heard a lot of good things.

12. richy

richy Guest

Let us know how it works out. I'd try shooting it with whatever cleaner you decide and then try vacuuming it up through the holes to see if you can't loosen that shit up. That way it's not going to soak the speaker.

13. StiCy

I am thinking of going the OCD route and using a q-tip. It would be worth it because I won't need to remove the door panel. I just hope q-tips are small enough.

14. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Regarding the speaker grill - one simple way you could get that stuff out of there is with a brush. Just poke the bristles through the holes.

15. iddqd

iddqd Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Air blast the speaker grille after using a stiff (but non-abrasive) brush. That way the "crumbs" that fall off (assuming it's build up and not bare metal) are blasted out and don't sit on the speaker.