D'oh! Water spots on my Opti-Coat and Cquartz

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Rcrew, May 18, 2011.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Dangit!
    I recently applied OC and CQ to the hood of my car in 50/50 fashion.
    A bit of water from my hose dripped on it and wasn't cleaned off for days. We have a well and fairly hard water. After washing today, there are water spots on both sides.

Gently applied some water spot remover via MF towel and while it did remove the spots, it scratched and marred both coatings. Looks like I will be polishing them off with 85rd and reapplying.:doh:

I'm posting this as a warning to everyone to ensure that hard water is not allowed to settle/dry on paint treated with either of these

2. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

That sux, was the water spot remover not slick or was it the towel or what happened?

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

I used a water spot removal product tailored for glass. In retrospect, that was probably not the best choice. Since I had read that 85rd is aggressive enough to remove these coatings, I wanted to try the glass polish first in case it was gentler or worked more chemically than mechanically. I was fairly certain that removal of the spots would require damage/removal of the coatings in the end anyway.

Is there a method you are aware of Chris that can pull water spots off without damage to OC?

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Thanks for the heads up!

5. richy

richy Guest

Always try white vinegar first. Let it dwell for 5 or 10 minutes. Rinse it off or ONR it off. Duragloss makes a product that is a water spot remover that is stronger than vinegar and Meguiars makes a marine product even stronger than that. I believe CG makes one as well that is similar to the old Danase water spot remover. I still have some of the Danase, it is amazing stuff!! (they are all acid based to break up the calcium deposits) Try to get some of the DG and the CG stuff so you have a weaker and stronger choice to battle it.

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

LOL! My pain, your gain...

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks Richy...appreciate the tips. never been able to find the CG product on their site. Will check on the DG stuff.

8. richy

richy Guest

You're right about that. I don't know if I ever found it on their site but I might take a minute to look. What I suggest to you though, would be to call them. I betcha it's for sale even though it might not be listed. I would strongly suggest getting some. I saved a jet ski that was black and had a ton of water spots on it. The Danase product got them out (albeit with some work) and then I sealed it with OC. I would guess you can get it if you call.

9. richy

richy Guest

OK, you owe me!! It's a CG product and yet incredibly, it's not available from them. The only place that sells it is HERE. I would get some.

10. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Shane,
    Sorry to hear about this water spotting issue.
    Yes, Richy is right about the C/G water spot remover - I bought it at D/Image after Bob at Auto Concierge mentioned using it successfully, awhile back.
    Surprised it not on the C/G site, but you know, their site is really complicated with a ton of stuff - I discover products and different prices pretty much every time I dare to venture there. :)
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

11. Dial Up

Dial Up Birth of a Detailer

+1 for the CG WSR, just a little bit of elbow grease = peace in the universe jk works great

just remember to Rinse off spot treated areas to neutralize/deactivate the acids in the product

12. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I wonder why this product is not on their website?

13. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Guessing it is fairly aggressive and has damaged some customer's paint through improper use?
    cool, thanks for the tip!
    Hey Dan! Funny, I heard Bob mention something about MarkV's water spot remover product too. Anybody ever try that?
    thanks Richy, if you are ever in town, I'm buying you a few rounds!

14. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

The MarkV product is $8, the CG product is $20 at Detailed Image.

Anybody have experience with the Mark V product?

Splash- water spot remover

15. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

Does not sound real promising for these new coatings.

16. Chris@Optimum

Richy was spot on with the available products. We have water spot remover in testing and it doubles as a freshened for OC. Also, Poli Seal of finish polish can be used without needing to reapply.

17. Chris@Optimum

They are long life protection not force-fields or armor plate.

18. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

To be clear, I chose the wrong product to remedy the water spots. As has been suggested, white vinegar, various water spot removal products, and poly-seal would have been effective and most likely not damged/removed the coatings.

I completely agree with Chris; these new coatings are not deflector energy shields from Star Wars, and you have to treat them correctly to get the most out of their awesome capabilities. This experience does not diminish my liking them and using them again.

19. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ive used Mark V, its not as good as the pro car product C30

I have been using this for several years, I first found it when I wanted something to remove waterspots in my shower. great product, some of their other products are nice too, sort of like P&S when it comes to product line. Commercial grade stuff.

PRO Car Beauty Products: C-30 WATER SPOT REMOVER

20. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ive used Mark V, its not as good as the pro car product C30

I have been using this for several years, I first found it when I wanted something to remove waterspots in my shower. great product, some of their other products are nice too, sort of like P&S when it comes to product line. Commercial grade stuff.

PRO Car Beauty Products: C-30 WATER SPOT REMOVER