Does anyone wash and clay at the same time?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Mark350, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mark350

Mark350 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What I mean is, clean a section of the car with soap, rinse, and then put more carwash soap on the area and then use that as a lube for the clay. Is there anything wrong with that? I just really dislike washing the car, claying, and then taking it out and washing all the residue off again...maybe im just lazy lol

2. Nica

Nica Banned

Well me personally I've never done it that way. Me personally I prefer to wash the entire vehicle then since the vehicle and clay with water or with the same soap if you wish, I've done it both ways...but washing a section then claying can't say I've done that....but just my :2cents:

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I would *think* the clay would get dirtier than usual. I don't know if I'd do it. Others have done this, I'll wait on their input.

4. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

I don't wash and clay at the same time, i wash the entire car, don't dry it and then clay with lube (CG SQD)

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I wash the entire car first, then clay it entirely afterwards.

6. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

I've done it when washing with ONR. If I'm just doing a simple wash, clay, wax/seal it speeds the process up quite a bit. If time isn't an issue though, I prefer to wash and clay in separate steps.

7. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

Someone mentioned they did something to this effect this in a recent post. Can't seem to find it. Maybe they will chime in.

I personally just wash and clay separate. I don't rewash the car after claying. I just do an IPA wipedown which removes any leftover clay residue and any lube residue if you are using ONR.

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

I always wash, clay, wash, dry and wax

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I think you may be referring to me musc. I actually only use this technique if some sort of paint correction is followed afterward.

10. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I would be affaid that I would forget to wash that section and clay before I wash and Mar the heck out of the section...:shrug:

11. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

Oh come on Buddy! You're smarter than that! Give yourself some credit! hehe. :thumb:

As I said above, sometimes when I ONR wash and time isn't on my side I will clay and wash at the same time. It's real easy. I keep the clay in my bucket of ONR that has a grit guard on the bottom so it doesn't get dropped or pick-up dirt particles from the bottom of the bucket.

1 - Wipe panel with wash mitt.
    2 - Grab clay and ONR clay lube spray bottle that's hanging on the bucket. Give the panel a few spritzes and clay the panel.
    3 - Take your first towel and remove the excess ONR.
    4 - Take your second towel and buff to a high shine.

If you're real daring, you can even wax at the same time as well!

1 - Wipe panel with wash mitt.
    2 - Grab clay and ONR clay lube spray bottle that's hanging on the bucket. Give the panel a few spritzes and clay the panel.
    3 - Take your first towel and remove the excess ONR.
    3a - Spritz panel with OCW.
    4 - Take your second towel and buff to a high shine.

See, now isn't that easy? :applause2:

12. tod071

tod071 Birth of a Detailer

I've done it a few times with ONR. Those were time that the customer had just washed the car and it wasn't too dirty. Claying while washing a dirty car does leave unnecessary scratches and swirls. But I must admit, it does cut time by about 1/2-1hr.

13. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

yup your lazy..man this is suppossed to be fun!!!

my 335 is so dirty after no wash for 2 weeks..i ordered a bunch of stuff this week so i can't wait for this weekend. i still think today i will at least do a wash.. then hopefully this weekend the full boat.

in regards to claying.. every method is different.. and using soap destroys a lot of clay even though a lot of people on here do that method.. i do not like to for obvous reasons.

1. soap ruins clay..no way around that. so if you spot clay this is a very bad idea.

2. each clay acts differently with whatever "lube" you use.

3. dried up aoap is a bitch..esp with no lsp..which i doubt you have if your claying

for example Riccardo works great with their own lube.,.but doesn't perform as well or hardly at all with some others.. their has to be that happy medium..if the COF is to low the clay won't grab much..if it is too high you will marr the paint.. that is why these companies develop their own Lubricants.

look at cg they have lubar and they also say you can use their extreme synthetic detailer.both are cheap but people would rather use soap and water..i don't get it.. less performance and it is not what most clay was made for.. bilt hamber is the exception and i would love to get a sample of that stuff.. god knows i can't purchase it.. but getting a sample can't hurt anyone.

see i had a buddy who started to clay for the first time.. well not a buddy just someone i met at a local hangout.. he came back there like 3 hours later and his car looked like someone dragged clay across it.. he just used soap and water from what he read online.. he went back home to grab the clay and it was all chunky and not looking to hot.. i forgot the wash he used but my point is a lot of people just read whatever on here and don't really get it.. as a forum we should try and give answers for everyone and if it is something new explain how much soap you use etc etc..

one thing i learned is to follow directions with detailing products.. sure i experiment but in a case like clay lube i feel it unnecessary and it will take more time as most clay was not meant to perform with soap in mind..it was meant to work with a specific lube..which is why a lube for clay A doesn't usually work as well for clay B.. they are different and require different COF to get the best out of the product!!!

14. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I find your much more precise in picking up contaminants when the car is simply a little wet or even fully dry AFTER a wash, I never clay with soap solution on the car. I think it gives too much lubricity for the car to accurately pick up every last contaminant plus suds when claying is not something I want. I use a slick lube liberally when claying but the fact that the lube isnt thick or sudys makes it better to clay with IMO. Thats just how I do things:crasy: