Does anyone here use a MAC?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by FMINUS, May 20, 2008.

1. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I finally broke down and bought one, Ive been a PC user for over 15 years. But after seeing what this sucker can do I finally caved in and became what Ive grown to hate...... the MAC user.

MAC is to computing as Zaino is to Detailing I guess... LOL

Anyone here make the switch?

2. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

My whole family but me uses MACs. Which one did you get?

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

This cart qualifies for Free Shipping
    Cart Items Quantity Item Price Item Total Mac Pro
    Part Number: Z0EM
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    iWork '08 preinstalled
    Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
    Mac Pro RAID Card
    Final Cut Express preinstalled
    8GB (4 x 2GB)
    500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
    Aperture preinstalled
    Accessory kit
    4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

[​IMG] Gift message: Add
    | Create unique messages [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remove $8,366.00 $8,366.00 Estimated Ship: 2-4 business days

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    Part Number: M9179LL/A

[​IMG] Gift message: Add
    | Create unique messages [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remove $1,799.00 $7,196.00 Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
    Part Number: S2512Z/A

Remove $249.00 $249.00 Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ShippingZip?wosid=oe6VhGPMGXoe2sHRigdharxIuys
    $
    Not found

Cart Subtotal: $15,811.00 Free Shipping: $0.00 Estimated Tax*: Not found Estimated Total: $15,811.00

4. g35videos

g35videos Two Bucket System Washer

MAC? dude wow....
    Mac is only good for people that do photography,
    digital design and music. FOr every day life i choose PC.

WAIT YOU PAID ALMOST 16K for a mac?

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Yep. I use a Mac. First one ever after 18 years on a PC. I bought one in October and was so impressed I bought one for my GF(now fiancee) in December.

24" iMac's.

6. Mindflux

Sure. If you say so. No viruses or spyware here. Even when I was 'browsing safe' on my PC's I'd pick up some crappy spyware now and then. Not so much after switching to Firefox from IE.. but none the less. No worries what so ever now.

And no, he paid 8k for a mac, and another 8k for 4 30" LCD's.

7. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Wow, probably the best you can get right now. I can't believe you paid for RAM, it's so easy to install and freaking cheaper. Have you looked into student or discounts, because you can easily save thousands. Mighty Mouse is horrible.

I wouldn't say the Mac is the Zaino of Detailing considering the main difference is the operating system.

8. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

Woooow!

9. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

I use both the Mac and PC via KVM switch.

I also use a MacBook Pro for its flexibility when I need windows and leopard.

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

So you pulled the plug, congrats on the purchase Phil.

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Sweet mother you got the 8-core wow, that's one mean machine. Let me know what you think of it as my Mac has been waiting for me for a wile now, I just need to pick it up from DB Boss's house.

Every person I've asked and has used a Mac has had nothing but good things to say about the machines so that's why I got one..but...just havent picked it up :shakehead:

12. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I got a buddy that works there, so its a lot cheaper, and I did get the RAM from Crucial instead. I just sent him the list of what I got.

And YES those are 4-30 inch monitors....

13. carados

carados Virgin Detailer

so the real question is what the hell are you going to use that beast for?

14. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

damn get me a deal??

i have an old g4 power book.

but yeah after a life time of PC's i finally made the switch when my laptop broke down and i used my sons. fell in love and never looked back. i honestly dont know if i could ever go back.

15. tod071

tod071 Birth of a Detailer

I still use PCs for business, only because I have to. But everything at home is done on 4 macs (3 for me, 1 for my wife). You got the granddaddy of all computers, just short of a supercomputer. Congrats! Might want to also get the Time Capsule. I'm gonna get one soon.

16. ggk

ggk Jedi Nuba

phil please do not buy those 30" apples the refresh rate on them are terrible my friend had one and if you did to much graphics wise like even editing a picture it would seem jumpy.
    and he had no problem with any other monitor.

i understand the want to use apple moitors, but even the dell one is better.

ill look for some thing better when i get home. i just hope you didnt buy them already.

17. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

That computer is going to be a rocket haha. Actually I have seen several day traders use them. with 4 monitors and 3 keyboards. I guess when you need speed the mac pro delivers. You could actually just run Mac OS for your personal use and Windows for your trading or vice versa. The computer can definitely handle running handle running both at the same time. I am typing this on a macbook pro, and I love it to death. I am actually thinking about getting a mac pro, but they get pricey FAST as I think you know!

Congrats on the purchase. You will think it is stupid for the first week or two that you have it, but then you will love it. I was a hardcore windows user for all my life, and the Mac OS thing seemed kind of trivial, it is good if you have a friend that knows what they are doing on macs, because they are really capable machines.

18. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

I love my Mac. I won't be going back to a PC anytime soon. Although it's almost time to look for a new laptop. I'll probably go with a Macbook Pro this time.

19. Mindflux

:bla2:

The Apple panels (and a few others) are true 8-bit (millions of colors) S-IPS panels. They are made for the truest color reproduction you can get on a LCD screen to date. Yes they do lack in other things as they are dated now such as faster refresh but this has no bearing on photo editing at all.

20. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Just so that everyone knows, the 30" Mac LCD is the same as the 30" Dell LCD. And I know... ;)

Very nice order Phil, that beast is going to serve you very well. My brother has one of them for graphic designing and he personally has not had much luck with it, it kept crashing a lot. He might have just had a lemon though. My wife just got an Apple notebook and she's addicted. I wouldn't mind getting one of their laptops either, but I am buying myself a Dell Precision workstation here soon.