Dodo Lime Prime - problems

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Magnum, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Magnum

Magnum Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi guys,

I got myself a couple of bottles of Dodo Lime Prime after all the great reviews and having seen pictures showing great results. Unfortunately, when I applied it with the Rotex using a new finishing pad on low speed to my car's near perfect paint, the marring was off the scale and I got small scratches also. I figured I'd not applied enough so I applied some more and the results turned out worse.

Immediately after, I panicked, put the LP away and did a pass of 106FF which cleared up the paint immediately.

One silly thing I did was trying the LP the day before on a small model car I have at home. The LP caused little scratches on this also, which I was able to remove with Menz FF again (this time 85RD). I thought nothing of it and figured the LP would behave differently on automotive paint, but I was wrong. My supplier tells me I must be doing something wrong.

Has anyone experienced problems with Dodo LP?

Did I get a bad batch?

Is p21s paint cleanser a better alternative? I've used it and thought it worked great, allowing the p21s wax to gloss up real nice.

Thanks.

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

It sounds like the pad was dry and caused the little scratches, I ran into this once using a paint cleaner. The finishing pads like to absorb alot of product so you need to keep them wet with product.

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Very good advice as usual.

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Thank You JL, I am always here to help.:thumb:

5. Magnum

I'd have to agree...very good advice - I'll bear this in mind and give it another go.

6. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Lime Prime does have minor abrasives in it, so you have to make sure that it breaks down completely

7. Dom

Dom Two Bucket System Washer

Yup, Lime Prime does have micro-abrasives in it, so shouldn't be applied to machine-corrected paintwork - Lime Prime Lite is the version without any abrasives in, so this is the one to use.

It is very difficult to create a 'bad batch' of Lime Prime as the micro-abrasives are all a standard grade and refinement. However, they can diminish when worked and do break down - there is typically less chance of marring using a machine than by hand because of this.

8. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Dare I ask the question...

Were the scratches already there, just filled by the Menzerna? Maybe the LP just cleaned the paint that much better...

Not trying to start a storm, but something to consider if your prep wasn't perfect.

9. Magnum

Its a fair question, but this car was corrected with 106FF 6 months ago and still looked flawless when LP was applied.

I have not experienced "hidden marring" with Menz products, though I highly respect and trust those that have reported this phenomenon. One thing I will say is that Menz sells Top Inspection for the specific purpose of allowing the detailer to identify and correct any hidden marring after the use of a Menz polishing product. The whole controversy on Autopia could have been averted if the Menz US representative had mentioned this (and also if he had paid attention to who he was being rude to).

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have seen LP leave fine lines in softer paint even when applied by hand. Just switch to LPLite or similar product.