Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi - Full Correction -Swissvax Crystal Rock

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Prism, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

A detail from recent times (its been a while, with moving and no internet) so trying to catch up on some of my previous write ups. This one is a little special (for me at least), it might not be a Ferrari, Lambo etc but I know its going to be one of those vehicles i wont do again (for along time).

Here is a video highlighting the detail:

Prism Detailing - Dodge Ram Correction Detail - YouTube

Onto the detail itself......when the Dodge arrived:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before doing anything i inspected the paintwork see what i could find in defects and this was the results:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and worse of all was this...when i quoted the vehicle, there was a hole in the roof where an aerial used to be, the owner was going to get this fixed, but opted to try from himself, filling it with fibreglass then respraying with spray cans.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As i got the car late on in the evening, i decided to do the interior. This consisted of steam cleaning the seats and trim then treating the trim to Swissvax Interior Quick Finish, the leather parts of the seats with LTT products and the alcantara with 303 fabric guard. The interior was also hoovered out and the interior glass treated to Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next day it was raining (typical Scotland!) but this assisted me with todays jobs. Initially I snowfoamed the vehicle with Chemical Guys Citrus snowfoam:

[​IMG]

Cleaned the wheels and tyres with APC and Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner using various brushed from viking and Swissvax then washed the vehicle with Swissvax Car Bath:

[​IMG]

The vehicle was then clayed, washed again and dried then paint depth readings were taken (nothing to be concerned about at that stage). But this really highlighted the Swirls in the paintwork:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since it was raining on and off i decided to do some wetsanding to remove some of the deeper scratches:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the compounding for the whole vehicle was a mixture of Menzerna Power Gloss/Power Finish/Megs 105 & 205 and final refining was always carried out using Nanotech SST Nano Polish Super Gloss:

Some 50/50 shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even though in this pic its showing the 50/50, on the light you can still see some sanding mrks, but this was due to it being soo close to the tape or the working area but was taken out with further correction to give a flawless finish:

[​IMG]

The rest of the correction carried out on the vehicle and showing some reflection shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then it rained again lol but shows how the compound was beading:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So onto another day up early and ensure the car was finished today, so started by snowfoaming again and a quick wash:

[​IMG]

Dried the car off and time to wax, the owner wanted Swissvax Crystal Rock, so this was used:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During the time for the two layers curing I steam cleaned the engine bay and treated with Chemical Guys Silk Tim Dressing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rear loading area was then hoovered out, then cleaned with APC and treated to Swissvax Nano Express:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The exterior glass was treated to Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol, the rubbers to Swissvax Seal Feed, the wheels to Wolfs Chemicals Rim Shield, arches to Chemical Guys Bare Bone and Tyres to Swissvax Pneu, exterior trim was treated to Swissvax Nano Express and exhaust to Swissvax Metal Polish and this was the end results:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine Bay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The owner was over the moon, seen the difference right away and happy the car was a gloss black again instead of a grey colour.....

Thanks for viewing

Robert
    Prism Detailing

2. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Crystal Rock on truck, now I have seen it all...just jking, nice truck probably rare in U.K., Nice job as always Rob.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Nice work, I've got the same but the heavy duty version. The paint on these trucks is actually very nice, and quite easy to work with. Nice balance between easy to correct, yet hard to destroy.

4. GTIDamien_407

GTIDamien_407 Birth of a Detailer

At first I was like who the hell would swissvax a dodge ram but now I see he's from the uk and yes dodge rams are quite rare there. But I don't understand why he would get his truck swissvaxed and pay a shitload of money, but he decide's to rattlecan his roof? This guy must not be very bright haha

5. Prism

Over here Dodge Rams are very rare and the owner loves it, in all honesty if someone paid me the correct amount i would apply it to any car lol

6. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Nice work on the Ram!

7. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

great work.....what is the tank in the bed?

8. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

To be fair....a professional painter/body shop probably quotes more than what Prism's detail costs. Plus its the roof of a lifted truck - out of the eye-line of most people this side of Shaq.

9. Prism

Thats an LPG tank, in the UK we pay a massive amount more for fuel compaired to the states :(

Well in all honesty he knew he buggered it up, didnt even expect me to get it to what I did....but as you mentioned, its soo high no one is really going to see it....

10. Streetlife

Streetlife Birth of a Detailer

Nice job Prism, you brought that ram back to life!

11. P1et

It's an LPG tank, or liquified petroleum gasoline. A popular option in Europe for thirsty American vehicles. In Belgium, where I'm from, a liter of petrol is €1.60, diesel is €1.42 and LPG is €0.66. Even though your mileage suffers, it's almost half the price and you certainly don't lose 50% of your mileage. Also, it's the cleanest burning fuel for your vehicle and engines last much longer on LPG than on petrol.

You keep your original tank, so you can switch between LPG and petrol. Usually you will start on petrol, then switch after a few minutes to LPG.

12. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Great work on that beast, Prism! Truck came out awesome.
    LPG sounds like a smart idea, but I never heard of it in US. All we push is E85 - pretty much corn oil...next thing you know, popcorn will go up in price...

13. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Is it true that cigarretes in London cost 10 pounds a pack PLUS VAT @ 20% which works out to be 10 pounds = approximately $16.50 + $3.30 in taxes = $19.80? What a bargain... I really wish they would cost so much in USA, somehow we need to fund Obama's healthcare plan, and funding it from those who kill their heath seems to me reasonable...

14. P1et

You have it here in the US, it's called propane. If I'm not mistaken, I think the State of California has about 1,600 F-150s that run on propane.

15. Prism

Not sure about London but i know in Glasgow (where i am) its £7 a packet, so i would expect it would cost more than £10 tbh......but someone might tell me differently as i dont smoke.

16. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

We looked at Propane, for the ranch trucks as well, PG&E run it in many of their fleet cars and some of their trucks.

........ Diesel has gotten out of control, almost $4.60 a gallon here in CA. Not much you can do, the market is now being saturated with alot of Clean diesels, TDIs etc, So the price naturally goes up, all the harvesting equipment runs on diesel. Diesel bill last month was $23,000.00 for our large tank for the equipment, lasts us about a month.

LPG is a great way to go.....

E85 never took off, there are a few places Ive seen that sell it, but it is not reliable, in fact E85 refining has sort of tanked.... alot of people speculating in the market lost their asses.

Diesel and natural gas are the way to go.....