Do you use iron-removing wheel cleaners?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by WashingJosh, Feb 16, 2012.

1. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

More and more, I see threads of everyone using iron removing wheel cleaners as their go to cleaner.
    Does anyone still use something other than iron-removing cleaners as your go to wheel cleaner?
    Or are they a thing of the past? (effectiveness wise)

2. IOMCAMARO

IOMCAMARO DB Forum Supporter

I use Brown Royal wheel cleaner, Mother's foaming wheel cleaner, and Griot's wheel cleaner. Each one has their own spot in my arsenal. Brown Royal will compete with any iron removing cleaner out there. It is also safe on any wheel based on the dilution that you use.

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I use P21S gel, CG Diablo and Wolf's Decon Gel from time to time.

4. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I've used Diablo, but generally I stick with either AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner followed by Iron-X or Elegance Wheel Cleaner followed by Iron-X. A quick rinse afterwards and they're clean as can be. :)

5. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Where can you purchase the Brown Royal?

I basically just use Iron-X on my wheels occasionally, but 90% of the time I just use regular soap and water... no need for a strong cleaner very often on "Toyota" brake dust.

6. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Kaban, flashwax is the company that sells brown royal. You can google it.
    I have it and I'm not 100% satisfied. I thought it was going to melt brake dust off but I think of it more as a maintenance cleaner.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using regular wheel cleaners still.

7. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I have some mothers wheel cleaner. It's in a small (probably 16-22oz) red spray bottle. I tried it on some Infiniti chrome wheels and it did absolutely nothing to it? Wonder what the problem was. The wheels were very dirty with brake dust.

8. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Most of the time I use a good APC or AG CWC for 90% of the rims I touch. If the brake dust is heavy, I use Sonax or Iron X. If the break dust is still present after a Sonax/Iron X treatment ... Megs WB.

9. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

For the nicely maintained wheels, I just mix up a bucket of car soap and use brushes, wheel woolies, to clean them up. If I have done them before and sealed them up with Rejex and Optimum Clear Seal, they will not be really dirty to begin with, and all the initial hard work they may have needed was already done.

Have never really used APC on wheels, might give that a try next time.

For neglected, embedded brake dusted wheels like on some Bimmers, about the only thing that works for me is Meguiars Wheel Brightner with dwell time, and a lot of brushing, followed by a lot of pressure washing. And then, some inner wheels are so bad, you need to take a scraper to them first to get the thick layer off the top.

Tried C/G Diablo red gel and the only thing it did good was smell like bubble gum. Tried a few others, Blackfire, nothing really off the shelf, "Not So Amazing Roll Off", and still the only one that works best for me is Meguiars W/B.. Im not sure I want to try the Iron/X/Cut/FlyAway/etc., products just yet...

Dan F

10. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Megs WB for the nasties.
    Autoglym CWC followed by Sonax FE for the high end dirty.

Duragloss 831 for my own polished wheels (4X a year).
    1Z Glanz (or your own favorite soap)and water as a normal wash to maintain.
    Proper cleaned,polished and sealed wheels most likely should never need more than soap and water to clean.

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I have:

CG sticky gel wheel cleaner
    Meg's Hot Wheels
    Meg's Wheel Brightener
    Some of the 1Z one left
    and I might have some sonax.

Need to get some AG CWC

12. dfazekas

dfazekas Birth of a Detailer

Mostly use power clean. Have some other stuff on hand, but if I'm still going
    to have to scrub the darn things then I don't want to spend that kind of money
    on a wheel cleaner.

13. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

You have to scrub with ALL of them. Ill spend more for LESS scrubbing myself.

14. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

IMO, Meg's WB is still the best wheel cleaner on the market. I don't use it unless I really need to because of the health hazards associated with it.

Meg's WB and wool work AMAZING on dirty exhaust tips.

15. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Gianni --

Thanks for the great tip - Meguiars W/Bright and steel wool on exhaust tips !
    I am trying this next time for sure !

Dan F

16. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I've been using APC as its cheap. But for my personal car that gets washed weekly I often spray them with my Gilmour with my soap choice then brush them off. The cheapest option yet.

17. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

:scared:

Never used Meg's products. Please elaborate.

18. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

This my friends, is the way to go. Using a premium wheel cleaner like Sonax on your daily driver is a waste of money. You just don't need it. If you run 3 pc BBS or some other uber expensive wheels, fine. Other than that, any of the available APCs will do the job safely for a lot less moneyClean your wheels thoroughly once and use a sealant. After that, any diluted APC or even soap and water should be all you need if you are washing them regularly.

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You've never done that? Silly man. P21S Polishing Soap is the bomb on exhaust tips as well.

20. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Ken, Ken, Ken --- :)

No, I have never done that. :( I guess I am feeling left out about now...... NOT !!!!!! I use Wenol blue and Wenol red and 0000 steel wool, and have occasionally, when I can remember, pulled out the P21S Polishing Soap, which is pretty good, but not the best for really dirty tips in my experience...

Silly man Dan F.