Do waxes really mute flake or is it just in our heads?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by ampbmw, Nov 7, 2014.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

So I am in a toss up between a wax or coating for my metallic paint. I prefer to use wax because it's a simpler application, but I am not wanting to mute the metallic. Will wax really do that?

If I go wax: Swissvax Blau-Weiss
    If I go coating: Opt. Gloss Coat

2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

In general, nubas will mute flakes in metallic paint and sealants/coatings will give glossier/glass appearance and the "popping" effect. My suggestion is the "prep make the pop, not what's on top". Correct the paint, use Opti Gloss Coat and then wait a month and top with the Swissvax. Nubas might give a great look, but as far as protection, staying cleaner, ease of washing and durability, coating is the way to go.

3. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Meticulous Detail ... Have you used gloss coat yet? Thoughts?

4. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

No, but I have it. I plan on correcting my shelby this winter and then gloss coat, wheels and paint. From what I have read and seen it is slightly easier to use and the gloss is awesome. I will post up the full detail, but I plan on doing this in stages not one day.

5. eShine

eShine DB Pro Supporter

I have not found that higher quality waxes mute flakes at all. I have only noticed mutage (Just made that word up) on real cheap waxes that use poor yellow carnauba or a blend of carnauba and beeswax.