DIY: Cheap Rotary/DA carrying case

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Tire Shredder, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

Hi Everyone,

This project came about from an old post carlos put up about putting his metabo in a toolbox.

I'm a mobile detailer and have been carrying my PC 7424xp around in it's origonal box, it's destroyed now to say the least....from accidental foam cannon blasts to getting caught in the rain, crushed by other product boxes in my car... I needed to do something about it.

I had $10 left on a canadian tire gift card and decided to try making a better solution.

I bought a 19" jobmate toobox for $10 and then headed to my local upholstery supply shop. I love going to privately owned little shops like the one that's in my area. I asked for some cheap foam and they led me to their workshop where they were making some boat seat covers. they had a HUGE bag of foam block scraps. They owner said "take it all, please!". I grabbed a few blocks and left very happy...free! and they were happy they didn't have to throw it in the trash.

I decided on the layout first.

[​IMG]

cut some reliefs so the foam fit better

[​IMG]

traced the metabo

[​IMG]

and cut it out using a serrated knife (mine is a long bread knife, with a point)

[​IMG]

and the same for the PC

[​IMG]

added some for the top for extra insurance, and a place to hold the metabo's handle. excuse the rough finish I need to get some razor blades to shave down the area for the backing plate, but this should do the job!

[​IMG]

and done!

[​IMG]

I'm super happy with it for it costing me nothing. I can feel a lot better about my investments now. There's a lot of money sitting in that little toolbox, I wish I had done something like this sooner. I hope it inspires others to try and improve your tool storage!

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Nice - I've always thought carrying around a buffer was awkward.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

nice....... if you want to have a more finnished look, check out pelican cases. they have foam that you can pluck out squares .....

[​IMG]

4. bstp

bstp Birth of a Detailer

Thank you for the inspiration! I have been carrying mine in its original box too!

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

That's a really nice M16 !!
    That case is really nice too; thanks for the idea.
    Dan F