Divine Detail - 2008 Range Rover (heavy pictures)

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Divine Detail, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

This vehicle is quite the vehicle, we were given this vehicle to get it ready for a car show happening here in town and the vehicle was gorgeous, brand new and going to a show what a treat oh and it sure handles well.

The vehicle: 2008 Range Rover Super Charged

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rims were going to need some pampering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Along with the wheel wells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was neat, still had all it’s plastic protection from factory:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Engine bay was going to need some attention as well

Well let’s get started, as always rims are a good spot to start. We gave all the rims and wheel wells a good rinse:
    [​IMG]

Then sprayed a healthy coat of P21S Total Auto Wash on the wheel wells:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then used P21S Wheel Gel for the rims:
    [​IMG]

Making sure to get all the way inside the rims:
    [​IMG]

With the help of a long handle brush, it was time to give the wheel wells a good scrub:
    [​IMG]

For the inside of the rims the wool brushes were used:
    [​IMG]

Making sure to get all the way inside the rims:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the face of the rims, a Swissvax brush was used:
    [​IMG]

Now with the help of the Meg’s tire brush, the tires were given a good scrub:
    [​IMG]

This is how all that scrubbing looked like at the end:
    [​IMG]

Ready to be given a good rinse now:
    [​IMG]

All areas were inspected to insure all contamination had been removed. This was the process for all the rims, tires and wheel wells. Once all the rims, tires and wheel wells had been completed to satisfying results it was time to move on to the engine bay.

First a quick rinse:
    [​IMG]

Now the vehicle was brand new and it still had the transportation coating on it so a generous coat of P21S Total Auto Wash was applied to the engine bay and the top of the hood as well.
    [​IMG]

Then it was agitated with another Swissvax brush:
    [​IMG]

Once the entire engine bay was agitated and was completely cleaned it was rinsed off:
    [​IMG]

Now to the rest of the vehicle, first the vehicle was given a thorough rinse:
    [​IMG]

The vehicle had been sitting inside a storage facility and it had glue residue left over from the tape so after the rinse the entire vehicle was given a P21S Total Auto Wash spray to remove as much contamination as possible:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vehicle was then rinsed off so the washing of the vehicle could begin. The two bucket method was used, with grit guards, Zymol Clear was used as shampoo and the Zymol sponge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the entire vehicle had been completely washed it was rinsed off:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it was time to clay the vehicle, for clay Ricardo Clay was used:
    [​IMG]
    During the washing process the vehicle didn’t feel too bad, but it still needed to be clayed:
    [​IMG]

The vehicle didn’t have that much contamination, here is a peace of clay after the vehicle had been clayed:
    [​IMG]
    Not much contamination, some but not bad at all.

Well after claying the vehicle it was time to give it another rinse:
    [​IMG]

With the help of a compressor, as much water as possible was removed, engine bay was dried off as much as possible with the aid of the air compressor as well:
    [​IMG]

The rest of the water was completely removed with various waffle weaved micro fiber towels:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vehicle was taped off and it was time to take some readings with the PosiTector 6000:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lower panels of this vehicle were plastic, so the PosiTector 200 was used:
    [​IMG]

In general the vehicle had a healthy coat of clear coat, some low spots but nothing to worry about.

Now it was time to see the condition of the paint and to see what kind of paint corrections awaited us:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing too serious, some light surface scratches lots of fine scratches, nothing that the appropriate polishing combo can’t take care of.

A test section was selected with the following combo, 3M blue polishing pad (UK version), Menzerna 3.02 and Metabo at 1500RPM:
    [​IMG]
    This combo provided satisfying correction with just one hit, so this was the combo to go with. Certain areas required two passes and others required one pass with 85RD3.02 followed up with 85RD but for majority of the time 3.02 was the winner. So paint correction process ready to begin, here are some action shots:
    [​IMG]
    Mike in action with his Makita, insuring that his side was properly corrected and left with a flawless finish.

[​IMG]
    Carlos in action taking care of the front bumper.

Here are some before and after:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Passenger front door before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Passenger rear door before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

This was probably one of the worst panels, rear passenger ¼ panel before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Trunk door before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Once all the paint correction was completed and satisfied with the vehicle was given another wash, this time it was given a wash with no ordinary soap but with 21S Total Auto wash diluted a bit strong to insure all polish residue was removed:
    [​IMG]

Certain areas like the emblem areas that may have had polish residue in the tight crevices were sprayed down with P21S Total Auto Wash to insure nothing was left behind:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With a Zymol sponge the vehicle was carefully washed again.

Once washed it was given a rinse:
    [​IMG]

Interesting how the water was beading of the vehicle with just a polish, the vehicle was dried with the help of the air compressor and what ever excess water was left over was removed with a waffle weaved micro fiber using the blotching method.

Once the vehicle was completely dried it was time to apply HD Cleanse Professional:
    [​IMG]

The entire vehicle received HD Cleanse Professional:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the rims received a coat of HD Cleanse:
    [​IMG]

Once the entire vehicle was covered with HD Cleanse Professional it was time to apply Zymol Vintage, Vintage was applied by hand:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After a few minuets passed by it was removed with the help of some Cookie Monster micro fiber towels.

Engine bay was protected with 303:
    [​IMG]

This concludes day one and a very long day too.

Day two:

Now for the interior and what an interior it is, gorgeous leather seats and instruments too :thumb:

First up is to give the entire vehicle a wipe down, for this Zymol Clear was used:
    [​IMG]

Then the entire vehicle was given a good vacuum:
    [​IMG]

Once the interior was done and satisfied with it was time to get ready to dress the leather, for this a 1000W light was used to get the leather nice and worm:
    [​IMG]

Light was left for several minuets to insure seats were nice and toasty, wile the seats were being warmed up this particular vehicle had lovely wood trim peaces and Zymol HD Cleanse Professional was applied to all the wood trim peaces:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Followed up with a nice, generous coat of Vintage.

Next was the small amount of vinyl that was in the interior of this vehicle, to dress the vinyl Zymol Vinyl was used:
    [​IMG]
    This product is quite the product, it has a very unique smell and a little goes a long way. At first it was applied via micro fiber towel:
    [​IMG]
    But the results were not satisfactory so a foam applicator was used. This did the trick and instead of applying by a micro fiber towel Zymol Vinyl was applied via foam applicator. It seemed to give a better uniform shine and no streaks, odd as you would think that foam applicator would give the opposite results :shrug:

Wile Zymol Vinyl was left to cure along with Vintage on the wood trim, the leather was now ready to be treated. To treat the leather Zymol Treat was used:
    [​IMG]
    This was applied by foam applicator, surprisingly enough even though the vehicle is brand new the leather looked quite presentable when first laid eyes on it but after treating the leather with Zymol Treat it looked stunning.

All the products were left for several minuets, that is Zumol Vintage on the wood trims, Zymol Vinyl on all vinyl and Zymol Treat on all leather components. After several minuets Vintage was removed, all leather and vinyl were given a final wipe down to remove excess product and left with a very satisfying interior glow.

The interior took several hours, vehicle had to be returned to the dealership on time but with time to spare the extra time was utilized on the exterior of the vehicle.

All exterior plastic trims received a good coat of Black WOW:
    [​IMG]

All interior and exterior glass were done with Zymol Glass and a micro fiber glass towel.

To conclude this detail, the vehicle was given a Zymol Field Glaze:
    [​IMG]
    The reflection says it all, what can be said about Field Glaze that hasn’t been said already, product is well worth it.

Well now for the end results (lots of pictures):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rims were looking gorgeous styling some Zymol Vintage on them :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Inside of the rims looked superb as it should, and you can see a very nice reflection on the face of the rims as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some quick outside pictures as the vehicle was ready to be taken back to the dealership:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this concludes this detail, it was quite the pleasure having to detail such a gorgeous machine. Lovely interior and very nice exterior, not to many curves on it but a very aggressive stance never the less. The vehicle was then taken back to the dealership to see if it passed inspection, this was quite the compliment though. The manager of the dealership came to inspect the vehicle was thrilled with the end results. The dealerships “detailers” were blown away when they were told that a $2,000.00 wax was used not only on the exterior of the vehicle but on the rims, there jaws nearly dropped when they heard that. This vehicle took over 30hrs combined and having a tight time was okay but having the vehicle done before the dead line was even more rewarding. Manager was surprised to see the vehicle done and back in his lot three hours earlier.

Vehicle turned out great and for those in town that go to the show I’m sure you will spot witch vehicle Divine Detail detailed :thumb:

Hope you enjoyed the detail, as always questions or feed back is always welcome.

2. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

wow awesome job, how long have u been using vintage?

those wool wheel brushes are great.

very impressive~

3. O4COBRA

O4COBRA Birth of a Detailer

Incredible work on this one, as others you do. One thing I really love about a lot of you guys here on DB is the write ups you guys do. I thoroughly enjoying seeing your posts. Congrats on the job well done!!!

4. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

nice work guys

5. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

That is just awesome. So you used zymol clear on the interior ey? Sounds interesting. I can't believe the condition that vehicle was in before you guys touched it.

6. devast8

devast8 New Member

awesome writeup! lovin all the details!

7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Two Bucket System Washer

So you applied Vintage directly over the HD Cleanse without buffing it off first? And both products were easy to buff off together? Looks great

8. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Awesome work...

9. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Great work, fantastic write up.

10. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Very nice Job...and nice write up....

Ranger looks great

Al

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That is beautiful work, really really nice. Appreciate the write up as usual!

1) Where did you get the drumsticks for the insides of the wheels?

2) What did you put on the tires?

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Seeing as Mr. Divine is not around to take questions, just teasing actually Justin is having some family imergencies he's dealing with so I wish him and his family nothing but the best in the mean wile I'll step up and answer some of the questions, first of all thank you guys for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the write up and don't find it long and boring :applause2:

We have been using Vintage for quite a bit now, just under a year now. Vintage is a great wax but very high maintenance, thing with Zymol is that you can't deviate from there process other wise you get disapointing results.

As for the wool wheel brushes, they are a pleasure to work with :druling:

:nod: Zymol Clear is very gentle, so we used it to give the entire interior a wipe down with it. Works great.

Sorry my mistake, HD Cleanse Pro was applied and then wiped off, just like in the paint. Then we applied a coat of Vintage on the wood trim.

Glad you enjoyed it P1et, now where to get the drumsticks...:shead:..unfortunetly due to paten issues these wool wheel brushes are no longer available. I was able to pick up two sets of these and that was that. I then tried to get another few sets but I was told that they were pulled of the shelf as they could no longer be sold....such a shame but such is life. I'm just glad I was able to get two sets for my self :thumb:

As what we put on the tires...um...hmm..:shead:..:shead:..I honestly can't remember Justin wanted to use this prouct and I have to admit it left the tires looking great. Hopefully Justin will join and share what it was that was used on the tires.

Thank you all for the kind words and there are more coming, so grab some :popcorn: and maybe some :coffee: and get ready to read :thumb:

13. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Two Bucket System Washer

Got it now, thanks for the reply. Beautiful work :applause2:

14. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

This is your best detail to date! very nice! The interior is awesome!

Too bad LR will be owned by Tata :(

15. vxrmarc

vxrmarc Two Bucket System Washer

Superb detail and thoroughly enjoyed it.....Looking at ther graphs the range rover didnt actually seem to be laden with paint like i thought it would have...

The wheel brushes i have heard are being retried with a new glue formulation which to me is the best point about them through anything thrown at them they never fail and i have a back up set i would not sell for $1000 dollars they are that good....

I must admit hd cleanse is the daddy when it comes to paintwork cleanseing but 2 mins in my garage and id have to chip it off it just dries so hard im simply wipe on wipe off...

I like vintage alot and on the wheels really brings the flake out if metallic silver...

Looking at the Tyres they have the traits of zym00l Tyre to me a nice professional sheen and not too wet looking....

When i do interiors with zym00l treat and vinyl i must admit i use a microfiber pad and havent tried a foam applicator as i get good results but with some soak up.....

One question.....when black wow was used did you spray a paper towel and wipe the residue off as the silicon content in this product is so high without it the air i believe will not allow the silicon to bond with the trim and it will leave a sticky residue so i actually wipe it 2 or 3 times then finally have a special microfibre that i use to buff it up with hlf hour later...

Superb detail i must say!!!

16. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Thanks very much!

Thanks for the comments, Phil! We were extremely proud of the vehicle, it now looks how a Range Rover should!! I wasn't there to drop the vehicle off due to a family emergency that came up but I guess the boys at the dealership were totally blown away...that's the best feeling of all!!

Thanks for your kind words! The paint was definatly not as thick as I would have expected to be either, but when isn't there a surprise somewhere when you're detailing new vehicles! The product that was used on the tires is called 'Black Jack'. It sprays on, leaving that nice look that isn't too shiny, or too matte, yet lasts and doesn't discolor the tire. Awesome product.

Thanks Carlos, you are a true gentleman!:hug:

17. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Had the chance to see this car at the show last night... amazing. But sad to see there seems to be already some fine scratches on it. And it is only the second night open to the public. I really wanted to touch it, to feel what this exclusive wax is like. But I just couldn't get myself to slide my rough hands on it.

But a lot of the other cars I see there... full of swirl marks.... :thud:

18. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh really that was fast :shakehead: I told the manager that we could be there to give the vehicle a wipe down prior to the show but he said he would have his guys do it :shakehead: oh well :shrug:

I haven't had time to head down to the car show to check out the vehicles. I'm looking forward on seeing the R8 that they have there :druling: I'll remember to bring a microfiber to wipe the droole of my mouth hahahahaha.

19. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

sweet SUV..nice work :thumb:

20. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

REMEMBER PICTURES!! :thumb::thumb: