Divine Detail - 2007 Subaru Legacy

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Divine Detail, May 20, 2008.

1. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

This vehicle was booked for the Ambassador Detail package which, consists of a full three day detail. One thing to note about this vehicle is that it was previously detailed by Carlos and the customer takes good care of his vehicles, you’ll see what I mean. The vehicle:

2007 Subaru Legacy

Here is how the vehicle was delivered:
    [​IMG]
    Rims were kept in really good condition

[​IMG]
    Same goes for the wheel wells

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now when the hood was open, it was impressive to see the following:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Like I said the owner of this vehicle takes really good care of his vehicles and it really shows.

Well here is how day one went:

First up the interior was taken care off, all personal belonging were removed from the vehicle and put in to a large Ziploc bag. All floor mats were removed and first up was to vacuum the interior:
    [​IMG]

Now the leather was a tad dirty with debris around the seems:
    [​IMG]

So special attention was required on the leather and by starters all seems were thoroughly vacuumed:
    [​IMG]

Once the entire interior was vacuumed to satisfaction it was time to extract the interior. With the help of our heated Mytee the interior was first gently pre-sprayed with hot water:
    [​IMG]

All carpet was then treated with Meg’s APC:
    [​IMG]

Meg’s APC was left to dwell for several minutes then agitated with a Meg’s carpet brush:
    [​IMG]

Once all carpet was agitated to satisfaction it was time to extract the carpet out with our heated Mytee extractor:
    [​IMG]

Well this takes care of all the carpet, now to give the interior a wipe down. For the wipe down Meg’s APC was used and agitated with a yellow micro fiber towel:
    [​IMG]

All hard to reach areas, such as the window and door control buttons on the driver door were agitated with a Swissvax brush:
    [​IMG]

All vents were also agitated with the designated interior Swissvax brush:
    [​IMG]

Once all vents and hard to reach areas were agitated to satisfaction, an air compressor was used to insure no debris was left behind:
    [​IMG]

This process was carried out through the entire interior. Once satisfied it was time to move on to the leather. First the leather was treated with Zymol Leather Cleaner and agitated with a leather brush, once satisfied with the agitation the Leather Cleaner was removed with another yellow micro fiber towel and hot water.

This process was done to all leather peaces. Once all leather was cleansed it was now time to treat all interior vinyl. For this Zymol Vinyl was used:
    [​IMG]

With the help of a Zymol Schpritzer bottle Zymol Vinyl was applied directly to some panels:
    [​IMG]
    Then spread with a yellow form applicator:
    [​IMG]

This process was carried out to all vinyl trims. Once all vinyl trim were treated a final wipe was going to be required. Well now it was time to treat the leather, first up leather was heated with the help of a 1000W light:
    [​IMG]

Once the leather was worm enough it was time to apply Zymol Treat:
    [​IMG]

Zymol Treat is applied by hand and massaged in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once all leather trims were treated it was left to dwell for several minutes and a final wipe down was going to be required as well. Now it was time to give the final wipe down to all vinyl trims:
    [​IMG]
    Then a final wipe down was done to all leather. Now it was time to take care of all interior wood trims. First all wood trim received Zymol HD Cleanse Professional, applied by hand. Then all wood trims received Zymol Detail:
    [​IMG]
    Zymol Detail is applied by hand:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This process is done to all wood trim:
    [​IMG]

With the help of a Cookie Monster micro fiber towel, all wood trims are buffed off:
    [​IMG]

Leaving us with the following results:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All windows were cleansed with Stoners Invisible Glass and a glass micro fiber towel. This concludes day one and the following results were achieved from day one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day two:

First of all the entire vehicle is given a quick rinse.
    Then P21S Total Auto Wash is applied to the wheel well:
    [​IMG]

Then P21S Gel is applied to the rim:
    [​IMG]

ARO is applied to the tires. The wheel wells are quite tight on this vehicle so wheel wells are agitated by hand with the help of the black ShMITT:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the wheel well has been agitated to satisfaction it’s time to agitate the inside of the rim, for this two special wool brushes are used:
    [​IMG]

First the two inch wool brush is used to scrub the inside of the rims, making sure to get all the way inside the rim:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get behind the calipers the one inch wool brush is used. Now to agitate the face of the rim a Swissvax brush is used:
    [​IMG]

The tires are given a good scrub with a Meg’s Tire brush:
    [​IMG]

This is how all that agitation looked like at the end:
    [​IMG]

This process is carried out to all wheel wells, rims and tires. Moving on now it’s time for the rest of the vehicle, first the CR System is connected and ready to go:
    [​IMG]
    0PPM and ready to produce Deionized water for that spotless wash.

The entire vehicle is once again given a good rinse, now wile given the vehicle a rinse it was noted that the vehicle was still protected by Wolfgang Sealant applied many, many months ago. So this soap of choice was P21S total Auto Wash with the two bucket method and the Zymol sponge:
    [​IMG]

Once the vehicle was completely washed and rinsed off it was clayed with Riccardo Clay, the claying process was quite fast as the vehicle didn’t really have much contamination. Once the vehicle was clayed it was once again given a good rinse and dried with a waffle weaved micro fiber towel:
    [​IMG]

Now it was time to tape up the vehicle for the polishing process:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it was time to take some paint gauge readings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see by the graph there is plenty of paint and clear coat on this vehicle with the average being in the 132 micron range.

Now to see the true condition of the paint the 3M Sun Gun is used to thoroughly inspect the condition of the paint:

[​IMG]
    This is the driver door, no swirls what’s so ever on it. Not even any micro marring.

[​IMG]
    A fine scratch on the trunk

[​IMG]
    Another surface scratch on the passenger door

Well this vehicle was in great condition with some areas showing some fine micro marring. A section was taped up to test the polishing combo, considering the state the vehicle is in the combo to start off with is Menzerna 85RD combined with a 3M blue finishing pad, Metabo rotary at 1500RPM. Here is how this combo behaved:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if you’ll be able to note the difference from the left side which has been polished to the right side that was waiting to be polished. This was going to be the combo to go with for this vehicle.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    Excuse the polish residue.

Here is another 50/50
    [​IMG]

This particular vehicle seemed to enjoy the Menzerna and pad combo and the polishing process was quite enjoyable, after several hours the minor paint correction process was completed. Customer requested that Wolfgang sealant be applied again, so the vehicle received a generous coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, applied with a white pad combined with the polishing pal:
    [​IMG]

Door jams also received a generous coat of Wolfgang:
    [​IMG]

Along with the rims:
    [​IMG]

The inside of the rims also received some Wolfgang sealant, well as far as the hands could reach:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wolfgang sealant was left on the vehicle over night to bond to the surface and this concludes day two.

Day three.

The final day of this vehicle first started off with removing the Wolfgang sealant with various Cookie Monster micro fiber towels:
    [​IMG]

Door jams were also buffed off:
    [​IMG]
    Along with the rims.

Now to treat the vehicle with a little extra, a healthy coat of Zymol Vintage is applied:
    [​IMG]

Now the favorite and traditional method of applying Zymol Vintage is by hand but we did not want to induce any micro marring as the clear coat was on the medium soft side so Zymol Vintage is applied via foam applicator.

First with the help of our 1000W light the foam pad is heated up:
    [​IMG]

Then the heated foam applicator is dipped into the Vintage container:
    [​IMG]

Zymol Vintage is applied to the vehicle:
    [​IMG]

This process is carried out for the entire vehicle, once the entire vehicle is covered with Zymol Vintage, Vintage is left to bond with the vehicle. Wile the curing process is taking place all exterior plastic trim and seals are treated with Black WOW.

After a good 45minutes Vintage is buffed and after 3hrs the entire vehicle is given Zymol Field Glaze wipe down:
    [​IMG]

This process gave us the following end results:

[​IMG]
    Tires were finished off with Zymol Tire, wheel wells received Zymol Vinyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this concludes this detail.

As always comments, feed back and questions are always welcome.

2. g35videos

g35videos Two Bucket System Washer

WOw great work!!! i am going to work on the same car next week, how long was the entire process ?

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

[​IMG]
    :worship2:

4. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Great job! A question on interior detailing.. when you wipe down the interior using Megs APC what is your diluted ratio? And how much product do you usually use? Thanks.

5. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

awesome detail.. and products used are superb..:applause::applause::applause:

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you enjoyed it, these vehicles are quite nice. Exterior is really sharp but the interior is something else, leather is really soft and after the leather cleaner and treat it was left even softer oh and the wood trim that's just craftman ship. Just in the interior it took well over 8hrs. The owner of this vehicle was in no rush to receive the vehicle back and wanted the vehicle to be detailed properly so rather then rushing through the vehicle it was split up in three days. I find that by spliting it up you get a fresh start and pay more attention to detail, but that's just my opinion. This vehicle took well over 28 man hours. The polishing process took quite a bit of time due to the clear coat being on the medium soft side.

You'll enjoy detailing this kind of vehicle, they are quite pleasant to work with. The polishing process can take a bit of time due to the nice curves it has.

Yes the interior finished very, very nice glad you like it :peace:

Thank you for the feed back, glad you enjoyed it :peace:

As for the diluted ratio, on this vehicle it was 20:1. I didn't want to go too strong on this interior as it really didn't need a strong ratio that and I didn't want to damage anything in the lovely iterior.

Thank you jake_b glad ou enjoyed it :chest:

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

great job, you guys! That wood trim looks so good! I picked the idea of using a Swissvax brish on interior cracks and creavises and love it! My daily driver interior never looked so good, it was always missing something...:headbang:

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you enjoyed it super, yes using a brush in the interior makes a big difference but incorporate a compressor in the regiment and you'll be blown out of the water. Using a compresor in the interior makes an even bigger difference :thumb:

9. Shuskan3

Shuskan3 Birth of a Detailer

WOW. Couldn't imagine a better end result. Absolutely Beautiful. Now that is pure paint.

10. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

VEry impressive!! Thanks for sharing!!!

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the feed back, very much appreciated :thumb:

Thank you Tonya, glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the feed back :peace:

12. g35videos

g35videos Two Bucket System Washer

Damn dude 28 hours... i don't think i would be able to come up with the price for such detail...

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, I agree it is a significant amount of time but the customer is more then willing to pay for quality and we are more then happy to provide it :thumb:

14. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

nice Carlos... awesome writeup bro

15. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

WOW I am impressed with how well the customer maintains the vehicle.. any idea how many miles has passed since Carlos last serviced this vehicle? Just curious

Great work & write up as always!!!

16. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

Very nice work Nica! :applause: This detail definitely shows what taking your time and doing it right is all about!!!:thumb: Excellant write-up and documentation! :worship2:

I see by the sticker in the left rear quarter glass that I may have layed eyes on this car before you did. Of course, it didn't look anything like the pictures when it left the shop.

Keep'em coming! :applause2:

Dave

Here is some unsolicited, useless, info for the day. That particular model of Subaru is only available in Canada now. :shead: The U.S. version is the Outback.

17. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you glad you enjoyed it :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed Deep Gloss :thumb: as to when I detailed it, it was way back in 10/17/2007 here it is:
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f47/2007-subaru-legacy-2-5gt-loaded-118.html

Thank you DLR glad you enjoyed it :thumb: :thumb:

These vehicles are quite something to say the least :druling:

Oh by the way what you do you mean you may have seen this vehicle before? Just curious :peace:

18. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Wowee wow wow.. the owner does a phenominal job of upkeep... it looks very good for a non detailer taking care of it for 7 months... does it get driven...lol

19. virtual

virtual DB Pro Supporter

Awesome work!

20. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

I'm sorry, I should have explained, I work for Subaru Automotive of Indiana. That particular unit came from our facility. I could tell that by the "SIA - Proudly Made in Indiana logo" on the glass.

Don't mean to steal your thread, Sorry.

Again, excellant work! I believe you could do the car prep for the photo shoots at model change time. :headbang: :picture: :applause:

Dave