Divine Detail - 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Divine Detail, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

The vehicle:

2002 Grand Cherokke

To start off all floor mats were removed from the vehicle and the entire vehicle received a complete vacuum:

[​IMG]

All interior carpets were extracted with the help of the Mytee HP-60. Then the vehicle was given a wipe down, with the help of Meg’s APC:

[​IMG]

All door shuts were also given a wipe down the a stronger Meg’s APC solution.

All vents were cleaned with the help of a Swissvax Brush:

[​IMG]

Once the interior was completely clean it was time to dress the interior, for this Optimum Protection Plus was used:

[​IMG]

The leather seats were also dressed with Optimum Protection Plus

Next, the vehicle was given a quick rinse and it was time to move on to the rims, first P21S Wheel Gel was applied to the inside of and face of the rims:

[​IMG]

Then Amazing Roll Off was utilized on the tires:

[​IMG]

The inside of the rims were agitated with an EZ brush:

[​IMG]

The tires were scrubbed with a long handled brush:

[​IMG]

The Wheel wells were also scrubbed with the long handle brush:

[​IMG]

All rims, tires and wheel wells were done with this process. Once all the rims, tires and wheel wells had been completed it was time to move on to the engine bay. Engine bay was given a quick rinse and P21S Total Auto Wash was applied and agitated with a Swissvax brush:

[​IMG]

Once the engine bay was scrubbed to satisfaction it was rinsed off and inspect to insure all areas of the engine bay had been covered. Now it was time to give the rest of the vehicle a good wash. To wash the vehicle the two bucket method was utilized with grit guard and for shampoo we used Zymol Clear. The vehicle was then clayed with Ricardo clay:

[​IMG]

Once the vehicle had been clayed it was given a quick rinse again and dried of with various waffle weaved micro fiber towels:

[​IMG]

Once the vehicle had been dried it was time to gauge the vehicle with the PosiTector 6000:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This reading was quite surprising and the sorounding area was reading the same readings, this reading was indications of re-paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well as you can see we had plenty of clear coat and paint to do some paint correction, the graph helps to illustrate what appears to be re-painted areas:

[​IMG]

Once the entire vehicle had been gauged it was time to see what we were up against:

[​IMG]

Well this picture summarizes what the paint correction was going to be like, after a thorough inspection with the 3M Sun Gun it was time to take a small section to test out what product to use. Menzerna has not disappointed and stated off with a 3M Blue Polishing Pad (UK version), Menzerna 85RD3.02 and Metabo at 1500 RPM. This combo gave me the following result on the test section taped off:

[​IMG]

This was quite satisfying and that was the combo to use. Paint correction ready to begin, here are some before and after to help illustrate the correction that took place:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    This was on pass of 85RD3.02 a second pass was required to completely remove all imperfections.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

The passenger door was quite interesting as one pass of 85RD3.02 hadrly did any correction. So this panel received one pass with Power Gloss with a 3M Blue Polishing Pad (UK Version), Metabo at 1500 RPM followed up with 85RD3.02 with 3M Blue Polishing Pad (UK Version), Metabo at 1500 RPM. This gave satisfactory results (as illustrated with pictures above).

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

This is the driver door and this door only required one pass of 85RD3.02 to achieve the correction you see here. This vehicle had temperamental clear coat, so some areas required a pass with Power Gloss followed up with 85RD3.02 to achieve satisfying paint correction

Once the entire vehicle had been corrected it was time to remove all the polish residue and dust accumulated on the surface of the vehicle, to avoid inducing any micro marring or scratches all polish dust was removed with a Zymol duster:

[​IMG]

To protect the vehicle and to enhance it’s new glow, Victoria Wax was applied by hand:

[​IMG]

Once applied it was left on for several minuets and removed with several micro fiber towels.

Black WOW was used on all exterior plastic trim, Stoners and a glass micro fiber was used on all interior and exterior windows. Engine bay was dressed with 303.

Now for the end results, let’s start with a few before and after on the engine bay:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Now for the rest of the vehicle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tires were finished off with Optimum Tire Shine and wheel wells were dressed with optimum Protection Plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Customer arrived a bit early to pick up the vehicle and was quite pleased with the results (the gentleman you see in the reflection is the owner of the vehicle).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that concludes this detail, the clear coat on this vehicle was quite interesting as each panel had different characteristics and each panel was treated differently. Never the less paint corrections achieved were very satisfying and rewarding to see the owner’s reaction.

Questions/feed back is always welcome.

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

very nice thanks for posting i enjoyed the pics...

3. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

4. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Very nice work guys :D

5. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Thanks very much, i'm glad you enjoy the writeups. It makes the time it takes to complete them well worthit!

That's one work I love to hear when it comes to out details, thanks very much!

Thanks very much, Pirex!

6. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Outstanding job! Thanks for sharing!

7. MTK Kommander

MTK Kommander Any Rag Vehicle Washer

i made the mistake of applying victoria wax to my girlfriends car outside of the garage... man it took me forever to get that stuff off..

8. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

haha i know what that like... one time justin (divine detail) applied VW lite cleanse to his entire truck... calls me to say high tells me i tell him not to... I hear some choice words... and then a click.. he calls me back a few hours latter sayimh how stupid this move was and to never do it.... my response, wht didnt you presrure wash it off and start over with the lite cleanse,.... more choice words and another click......

i still give him a hard time for it :D

9. cheeseenlo

cheeseenlo Birth of a Detailer

Great writeup Divine Detail! How confident do you feel about using the zymol duster? Do you think it will ever scratch?

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you enjoyed the write up. As to using the Zymol duster, we have been using it for quite a bit and we have never seen it induce any micromarring let along scratches. To make sure that for every pass you clean it by shaking it a bit to remove what ever may have bonded to it. That's just what we have done so far and it seems to be working just my :2cents: though. I'm sure there are may ways of using it but that's what has worked for us.

11. sjf2187

sjf2187 Virgin Detailer

Wow, this is amazing. I have the exact same jeep but a 2004. This is amazing. I'm looking to get mine detailed and polished in the next few weeks.

12. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Did I miss something in the writeup or did you get that finish in the end with just 85rd 3.02?? If so that is quite impressive!

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

you did most the correction with a blue pad and Menzerna's 85rd? Those swirls and stuff looked a lot worse. Nice to see the final results though. Turned out well.

14. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

85RD 3.02 is alot stronger then just 85RD finishing polish

15. David Wyllie

David Wyllie Guest

But, what did the girlfriend think with all the hard work?

16. David Wyllie

David Wyllie Guest

I should have said, just re-introduce new wax over the caked on wax and shorten the buffing off time. You will find it a treat. David

17. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

You just answered my question. I didn't know that there are two kinds of 85RD. Is it the PO85U?

18. GDAL

GDAL Guest

If I'm not mistaken the 85RD 3.02 that was used for this detail is actually SIP. SIP has a different name in other countries.

19. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

The thing is, can it finish LSP ready!? Really? I own it but have not used it yet.

20. GDAL

GDAL Guest

it all depends on the technique and pad used. I have seen pics of vehicles LSP ready after M105 ... you might wanna PM Ken (911Fanatic).