Divine Detail - 1996 Nissan Maxima

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Divine Detail, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

A co-worker of Carlos just purchased this vehicle and wanted to spruce it up a bit, the vehicle:

1996 Nissan Maxima

Despite the age of this vehicle, the vehicle is in great condition. Looks like the previous owners took good care of it. The vehicle had been polished before, there were signs of it from holograms to burnt paint, well here is the vehicle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now don’t let these images fool you, vehicle appears to be in good shape but it will show it’s true state shortly.

On to the detail, like all details we start at the rims, wheel wells and tires so first up the wheel wells, sprayed P21S Total Auto Wash on the wheel wells:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the rims we use P21S Gel on the rims:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the tires ARO is used:
    [​IMG]

Here is how P21S Gel, Total Auto Wash and ARO looks like wile it’s working it’s magic:
    [​IMG]

Now it was time to agitate the wheel wells, for this we used our long handle Meg’s brush:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the inside of the rims the EZ brush is used:
    [​IMG]

Making sure to get all the way inside:
    [​IMG]

For the face of the rims we use a Swissvax brush:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last step left is to scrub the tires, for this we used a new tire brush:
    [​IMG]

This process was done for all the wheel wells, tires and rims. Now it was time to take care of the exterior of the vehicle. As usual we use the two bucket method with grit guard, for shampoo we used Meg’s Gold Class Shampoo with the Zymol sponge:
    [​IMG]

We also got the CR Spotless System ready:
    [​IMG]

Once the vehicle was washed we used Ricardo clay bar on this vehicle, vehicle was quite rough and the claying took some time on this vehicle. Once the entire vehicle was clayed it was given another rinse and dried with our waffle weaved micro fiber towel.

After the vehicle was dried it was time to tape all delicate areas on the vehicle, paint readings were taken:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the vehicle has healthy amount of clear coat and paint which is really good because the paint correction process was going to be quite grueling. Oh that spike you see on the graph that’s a bad reading, that’s what happens when you don’t hold the sensor flush with the surface of the vehicle.

Well now that we knew that the vehicle has sufficient paint and clear coat, it’s time to see what we were up against, with the help of the 3M Sun Gun the paint was inspected and here is what we were up against:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This last image show's one of the marks were the paint had been burt through and touch up paint had been used to cover it up.

Now as you can see by the inspection images, we had our work cut out. Now previous experience on Nissan’s clear coat’s has proven that they are generally medium soft, so we started with a combo used on other Nissan clear coat, Menzerna 85RD3.02 with 3m blue polishing pad with Metabo at 1500RPM.
    [​IMG]
    Like I said before, this combo has performed quite well in the past but regrettably on this particular clear coat it proved to be futile and the existing swirls didn’t even budge. So time to step up the pad, for this we stepped up to a Meg’s cutting pad with Menzerna 85RD3.02 with Metabo at 1500RPM:
    [​IMG]
    Now this is one of those rare times where a cutting foam pad combined is required but with this combo it just wasn’t cutting it, swirls stilled remained and it didn’t even put a dent on them.

So next step up is to go from 85RD3.02 to Menzerna Power Gloss with Meg’s cutting pad, Metabo at 1500RPM:
    [​IMG]
    This combo finally gave some results but unfortunately not satisfactory to our standards.

Therefore, it’s time to step up to some wool. As to the type of wool, we decided to go with Menzerna 6inch wool pad combined with Menzerna Power Gloss at 1500RPM:
    [​IMG]
    Followed up with Menzerna 85RD3.02, Meg’s cutting pad and Metabo at 1500RPM:
    [​IMG]
    Followed up with Menzerna 85RD with 3M blue polishing pad and Metabo at 1800RPM.

This grueling combo finally gave the following, satisfactory results on the test panel:
    [​IMG]

So this combo was used for this vehicle, here is how the hood of the vehicle was turned around:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Here is a 50/50:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the entire hood corrected:
    [​IMG]

Front driver fender before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Trunk lid before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Now for the tail lights, the same combo was not used but very close, Menzerna Power Gloss Compound with Menzerna Compounding pad followed up with 85RD with 3M blue polishing pad. This gave the following results.

Rear passenger tail light before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Rear bumper before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Once all the paint correction process had been completed it was time to remove all the tape and all the dust, instead of using our Zymol duster we decided it would be best to wash the vehicle again, this time wash the vehicle with the two bucket method with grit guard and instead of a shampoo we used P21S Total Auto Wash to completely remove and break down any polish residue:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vehicle was once again dried with some waffle weaved micro fiber towels. Once the vehicle had been dried it was time to protect all the paint correction, first up we used Swissvax Cleaner Fluid applied with a yellow foam applicator and removed with a cookie monster:
    [​IMG]

Once the entire vehicle received a healthy amount of Cleaner Fluid it was time to apply Swissvax Shield:
    [​IMG]

Shield was applied and left on for several minuets, wile the wax was left to cure it was time to dress the tires, for this we used Zymol Tyre:
    [​IMG]
    This was applied with another yellow foam applicator.

Now it was time to remove shield with the help of a few Cookie Monster micro fiber towels Shield was removed and left with the following finish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ah yes this is how the wheel wells, tires and rims finished off. Rims were also protected with Zymol Wheel Coat and as previously mentioned tires dressed with Zymol Tyre, quite the lovely combo and lovely finish on the tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that concludes another detail hope you enjoy.

2. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

Super nice turnaround!!

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Man what a difference~!!!! Report back what the owner says!

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you 02CAMSS, it certainly did turn out quite nice. The vehicle was missleading though, I've done a few Nissan's now an the clear coat on the newer vehicles is quite nice to work with but this one gave us quite the chalenge. Menzerna came through for us though, all products came through :thumb: Glad you enjoyed it :peace:

Customer picked up the vehicle and was thrilled with the results :thumb: sure took a bit of extra effort but the results are well worth it. Thanks for the feed back buddy :thumb:

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

You guys ever though of moving from cold Canada to warm California??? I wanna be part of the team! Just kidding, it's too hot here during summer...

Grea job as always, reflection shows perfection! :applause:

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh man I wish I could, I love the a good hot climate :woo: but wife dosen't want to go to the US :shakehead: as far as being part of the team super I'd love to have you among many others here part of the team. Divine Detail is expanding and a few experianced deailers such as your self would come in real handy ;)

Thank you for the compliment, glad you enjoyed it :thumb:

7. richy

richy Guest

Carlos et al....Super job there. I especially like it when a great turnaround can occur on an older car. Just wondering, what did you do with that area of burned paint that had been touched up? did you avoid it altogether or use a milder approach? Thanks for taking the time.

8. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Mike or Carlos will explain what they did on this particular vehicle around the burn areas. I was lucky(not so much) enough to have to work on a z06 that had been smacked in a parking lot and had some paint transfer, so I missed out on the polishing fun with this one.

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you richy, vehicle did turn around quite nice. As far as the burned paint areas, we checked how much paint/clearcoat was on the area and there was plenty of both so yes the same combo was utelized for the entire vehicle. On the burt paint areas not much pressure was used though not as much as the other areas and were done with caution. Last thing we wanted to do is completely remove the touch up paint :shakehead: Vehicle turned around quite nice, with this combo we removed an average of about 5 to 8 microns. I honestly was expecting much more clear coat removal on this but it was actually quite resonable.

10. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Very nice job guys. Good thing you were there to help Carlos out.

11. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Very nice job, the car looks mutch better now!

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you Gary but yes I was very glad Mike (calgarydetail) was there to help me out with this vehicle, otherwise this vehicle would have been a long two days for me. I'm loving the team effort, that and it's really nice to have someone to chat with :hug:

Thank you pirex, glad you enjoyed it buddy :chest:

13. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Well done! How long do you let the ARO and the P21s Wheel Gel sit for before rinsing off?

14. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh we dont rinse ARO nor P21S Gel, we let it sit and agitate then once all agitation has been done and we are satisfied with we rinse it off. We try to spray all the tires, wheel wells and rims and wile we are working on one rim the rest have the products curing.

15. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

oh wow Nica.. wonderful... especially on an old car like that... some part of the car was sprayed right because paint meter showed high number on one of the pics you posted.. btw is that 8" meguiars cutting pad you using or 6.5"?

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Maybe she will give in...:shakehead:don't give up!:headbang: