Dislike a Product? Tell Us Why Here!

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Denzil, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Ok, so it's quite often how we speak so greatly of products we have used over time and how we recommend them to other forum members. So in an effort to narrow down the search for premium products, I felt it was necessary that we voice out about products that we disapprove of or disappointed with so we know what to stray away from or reconsider.

Feel free to express how you feel about whatever products you are not impressed by or don't work as advertised, etc. Please be sure to provide legitimate reasoning behind your opinions and do not go spouting off of the soapbox.

Just remember, this thread is meant to be productive and there will be varying opinions so please keep an open mind and be civil.

I'll start with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash. The reason I dislike this product is that it is very watered down and doesn't lubricate or sud very well. With Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash typically sitting next to it on store shelves, Meg's DCCW simply can not compete.

Another product I'd like to touch on is DD's Uber 16x16 microfiber towels. Don't get me wrong, they're decent towels but there are definitely better towels that are in their price range. In comparison, I have found Obsessive Detail's and Excel Detail's microfibers (Ultra Premium and Excel Supreme/Elite, respectively) to be more plush (in relation to nap length) even after several washes.

2. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Pinnacle Car Shampoo wasnt all that great
    CG's VRP wasnt good to me. Adams VRT is sweet.
    Meg's UQD. Not too impressed. Seemed like their old qd just repackaged. Just my opinion though.

I'll think of some more!

3. NCZ13

NCZ13 Birth of a Detailer

Cobra WW- were great when i first bought them, and kind of went downhill from there, arent nearly as soft as Excel detail monterey, and are more expensive then them as well.

Megs PlastX- for getting headlights super crystal clear, machine polishing is necessary. This is a product that finds its way onto car forums about what a miracle product it is, but really it isnt.

Megs APC for cleaning wheels and tires- mainly bought the new orange APC for a cheaper alternative to cleaning wheels and tires, but its not the greatest... maybe i need a foaming sprayer for it to work?

4. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Meg's UQD...was nothing special after all the hype and videos....a wash or rain and its gone...much better products for less.....

CG JS 109..when I first applied it I was WOW'd by the appearance...but after 4-5 weeks of it just alone on paint it was totally dead..water just pooled....another hyped product i was not happy with..way over priced for what it is......

Wolfgang sealant....has a super look to it..but again...very short lived when used alone as a LSP...over priced for what it is....

Optimum Spray wax....Big dissapointment...was told I would get 5 months on 2 applications....I got 4-5 weeks if I was lucky....again..water flat on paint....

Poorboys SSR's..never seemed to get them to work like some other product I have and used..seems like it took for ever to get any correction and was not up to par on the way I like paint to look......

XMT polishes....worse i ever used....dust and flash like crazy...again..took for ever for results....tossed these right out ....

PB trim restorer....gave a great finished look..but once it rained or you washed it..streak city....and trim reurned to its faded look....

this is just some

AL

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Poorboys SSR polishes
    Meg's UQD
    Blue Coral Car Wash
    Resolve Carpet Cleaner
    1Z Tire Foam - looked like it cleaned more than giving me the look I wanted. Always had brown liquid collecting on the bottom lip of the wheel/tire. Label was all in German, so I had no idea what the directions were.

6. Strs90

Strs90 Birth of a Detailer

CWG - I'm sure some will disagree. But it reminded me of Turtle Wash and Wax. The gloss was hard to rinse and it wasn't the sealant removing terror I was expecting/hoping. Used from .25 oz to 2 oz per gallon.

Sonus Gloss Shampoo - Zero suds.

Mothers Back to Black - My plastic trim was brand new. A month after I used BTB it was ruined. I was stupid to use this.

Forever Black - I followed up my ruined trim with this and made it worse. Ended up repainting trim with Duplicolor trim paint which suprisingly made the trim look brand new and has lasted 2 and a half years.

Wax blaster - Doesn't blast wax.

PB's Black Hole - I just didn't like the look and it didn't make any swirls any less noticeable.

AG's Deluxe Filter System - Doesn't really help with water spots.. just makes more suds.

Klasse AIO & SG - Not worth the money or hassle. I use AIO on door jams now.

Wheel Wax - Doesn't look or work any better than a sealant.

Dragon Fibre Microfibers - Cheap!

Menzerna FMJ - Weakest sealant ever.

There are too many to mention. But every trim product that runs in the rain should be listed.

These are just a few of the things I could think of off the top of my head. There are plenty others.. but many of the others are my fault for not using them correctly.

7. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Great thread idea Denzil!

Poorboy's Black Hole: The only reason i bought it was to fill, and it didnt very well

JS109: Dont get me wrong, i love it..but i think there are way better sealants out there for the money, so this is one that didnt perform up to its advertising hype

Meguiar's Shampoo Plus: It has a great smell and rinseability, but i didnt find it sudded much and ive definitely used slicker

Meguiar's APC: Seems a little weak to me, i use it but cant wait till i get rid of it!...it seems to leave a soapy residue when using 10:1 for interiors...so kinda messy

Meguiar's Glass Cleaner: The concentrate in the D-line was pretty awful in my opinion

Poorboy's SSR2.5 - Dusts like crazy and not too much correction for being so "strong"

Poorboys SSR3 - the worst compound i have ever used

Optimum Hypercompound - not so hyper

Lake Country Ulti-Mitt - Worst mitt i have ever used

Uber Drying Towel - sorry for this one but it is drenched after 2 panels..i have WW from DetailedImage, ProperAutoCare, and even Eurow that will outperform this towel

CG Fluffer Towel - Pretty awful to me, long pile but attracts everything in the world to it...i didnt have something to compare it to because it is so nappy, but after trying the eurow shag towel, the fluffer cleans my wheels

MicroRestore MF Detergent - Weak!

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

- Poorboys EXP - looks decent, most awful durability EVER!!!

- CG Jetseal 109 - top if with a wax, otherwise, poor durability and bad beading! Looks good though.

- Poorboys Natty's Blue - easy on, easy off, but crap beading and doesn't last worth a dime!

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

We've got a great list going guys, keep it up!

I still have some more to list but I have to sift through all my products to remember, hehe.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Jedi Nuba

PB's SSR's - Dust like hell and no correction

Anything that is called Turtle Wax except their pro line, it works from descent to pretty good.

Edge pads - I like the idea, but the bite is not as good as the LC pads, and pads tend to stop spinning with less weight.

Green LC pad - I find this pad very useless

PB Natural Look - Smells good, but adds nothing at all to the looks, IMO

I will write more as soon as I can remember more

11. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Schmitts-Never fit my hand properly and came apart

LC Ulti-Mitt- I bought into the hype and was disappointed. I should have stayed with my trusted sheepskin mitts

Poorboys Wheel Sealant-Kinda of a pink gooey mess. I just use Zaino CS or Optimum CS on my wheels. It's so much easier.

Meguiars Bug and Tag Remover-Worst product I have ever used. I think it actually caused the bugs to multiply.

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

My ShMITTs started falling apart when I didn't let them properly dry. Otherwise, a bit awkward at first, now I don't even put my hand in it anymore.

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Have a look at the video I posted recently regarding this. You may want to try it again. Just my 2 cents.

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have just read through the posts here and I think that before we start slagging products, you should seriously re-evaluate if you are using the product how and as it is meant to be used and for what it was meant to be used for. I too have used products and been pissed off with the results only to read the instructions later and realize it was my fault in the first place. I admit there is alot of crap available, but let's be careful not to turn people off of what might actually be decent products.

15. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

Your going to have to explain this one to me.

16. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Ya, I'm turned off allready and now I won't give myself the chance to try them. And there was one product that I like alot that has been put down. So now I have to rethink all of this and I allready have allot to think about. When it comes to detailing products.

However, I do admit that this was a great great idea by Denzil.

17. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

why? and what do you use in place of it? do you like the white one?

18. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

And my 2 cents as well.:thumb:

19. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Ya, Me too. I really like Edge pads And they were put down...

20. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Well said 911. I sort of assumed that this was a given but I guess I should have stated this in my first post of this thread.

Everyone also has to take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Just let everyone's opinion of a product be in the back of your head and don't dwell on it so much. If you really want to try a product that did not receive high praise, no one's going to stop you from trying it yourself to see how YOU like it.

Like I stated in the original post, explain exactly why you dislike the product and I guess I will add a new category; how you used it, whether via directions or some other non-traditional method. This will clear up a lot of confusion and general statements that aren't explained leaving people :shead:

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain yourself. Saying something like "Green LC pad - I find this pad very useless" is not very helpful to any of us. Thank you for understanding.