diluted onr turning clear

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by cleanfiend, Aug 28, 2010.

1. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

has anyone else noticed this?

when i have onr qd or clay lube sitting in a spray bottle left over from a detail, i notice that after several days, the solution will become clear instead of its usual blue. this has happend to me every time ive mixed up onr and left it in a spray bottle.

i store all my stuff in a cabinet in my house, so i dont think sunlight or temperature has anything to do with it.

so is this normal, and is this stuff still usable? i usually just dump it out.

thanks

2. Bunky

Bunky Guest

It is normal. Supposedly if you use distilled water, it would retain the color but never went to the trouble. It read it has something to do with the minerals in the water.

3. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

i was thinking that that might be the case. i have no idea where to get distilled water though, so i guess ill just continue using tap. i wish that i would have picked up a few gallons of distilled water when i had visited chemical guys on my trip :duh:

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

It also happens when you use distilled water. I was under the impression that it had something to do with sun exposure.

I wouldn't worry about it.

5. durabio

durabio Birth of a Detailer

It happens to me regardless of using distilled water or sun exposure, but I'm sure it still works like normal.

6. metajames

metajames Birth of a Detailer

Mine is color stable but I use RO/DI water for all my dilutions so it very well could be "something in the water". Just a data point.

7. co78

co78 DB Forum Supporter

strange, I have a bottle of ONR at QD strength diluted with tap water and the liquid is still blue in color. It's been sitting in my garage for a week now.

8. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

well i dumped it out and i noticed that it smelled different too...weird

9. durabio

durabio Birth of a Detailer

maybe it has something to do with heat? I store mine in the garage and it gets quite hot like upper 100's

10. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

You can get distilled water just about anywhere. Next time you go to the grocery store, look around for it and pick up a couple of gallons. Another option is to go buy a five gallon jug and fill it up at a machine that dispenses/sells water either by one gallon or five gallon measurements. It's cheap, fast and usually has very low mineral content. Another option is to go to either Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a already filled five gallon jug there.

11. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

It has to do with the chlorine in tap water. We have very little chlorine in our tap water so the blue color lasts a long time.

12. kb2ehj

kb2ehj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have no chlorine in my water (well) and it still turns clear.