Different strokes for different LEATHERS...

Discussion in 'Detailers Domain' started by williakz, Jul 16, 2013.

1. williakz

williakz Virgin Detailer

Hi All,

I've got three different kinds of leather on the various cars I clean, and I could use a bit of professional advice in caring for them. They are:

1) BMW Merino (brown) which I understand is the top quality, least treated leather the company produces;

2) Lexus semi-aniline (light gray) which seems to have more of a protecting coating than 1) but less than 3); and

3) BMW Dakota (black) which is almost indistinguishable (to me) from vinyl or leatherette with its plasticy-feeling protecting coating.

Can you guys recommend product types (if not brands) to clean, condition, and protect each of these three types of leather? Also, how would you go about stain removal from the Merino and semi-aniline leathers? I left out the Dakota since I can't believe ANYTHING could get through that stuff to stain it! Thanks a bunch for any info you can provide.

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

3. williakz

williakz Virgin Detailer

So matching your product recommendations to my specific needs, Sonax and Leather Master would be appropriate for both Merino AND semi-aniline leathers whereas 1Z would be used only for the heavily coated BMW Dakota. Do I have this right? Thanks for the response, this stuff is complex and confusing for a neophyte like me.

4. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

If the leather is not dirty then I would use the Sonax. If the leather is dirty I would use ether leather masters or 1z with Sonax. But make sure you do test spot to make sure they don't damage the leather in anyway.

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

The Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner is probably the strongest cleaner of the those listed.

You will always have to think about this and look at the Leather carefully under different lighting, to get a good idea of the amount of damage it may already have.

The year of the vehicle makes a difference and the older the Leather is, the more prone it may be to losing its color if you use too strong a product and/or scrub it too hard.

The biggest enemy of Leather is ground in dirt and or bodily fluids like sweat or sweat mixed with tanning lotions, etc... These conditions over a period of time will kill Leather surfaces to a point that they will have to be professionally renewed with a really good cleaning and a proper respray of the correct color. You do not ever want to go there, unless you have a lot of experience fixing this..

There is no absolute if its this, go here, if its that, go there rule. These are just general Guidelines.

The newer the car and Leather, the less problems there may be, because the Leather is still pretty darn strong on its own and can handle it. Add dirty, muddy, wet dogs, animals, etc., and/or similar people to the equation, and well, now you have to clean it carefully, assess the condition best you can, and then decide what to put on it to condition and protect from the next wave of the above... :)

Dan F

6. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

the Lexus will be the least durable out of the 3.
    What year are the cars?

7. williakz

williakz Virgin Detailer

Uh-oh, I think I'm getting MORE confused instead of less as we go along.

Dan, I realize there are no mechanical, hard-and-fast RULES that cover all issues with automotive leathers. I guess I'm really looking for more targeted guidelines for my particular situations with the three different leather types I have in my cars. Phil, all the cars are brand new (MY 2013/214) purchased in the last few months. Let me describe in a bit more detail what I'm up against.

1) BMW Z4 Convertible with brown Merino leather

To avoid skin cancer sprouting up before your eyes, sunscreen is an absolute MUST in this car. Certain areas of the Merino seats, armrests, etc. will therefore get regular contamination by high SPF sunscreen. A recent problem occurred when sunscreen containing white zinc oxide got on the Merino. I didn't want to fly blind in trying to get it off, so I took it to my local detailer who worked some magic and removed it. At any rate, I need to know what to use on the Merino to remove sunscreen, dirt, etc. on an ongoing basis (the zinc oxide problem will NEVER reoccur).

2) Lexus LS460 Sedan with light gray semi-aniline leather

The problem here is the visibility of any dirt, spills, or dye transfer on the very light gray leather. If it had a heavier protective coating, I would go at it with a strong cleaner, but the semi-aniline is throwing me a bit. The leather appears to have almost no protective coating AND is perforated to boot. I'm afraid I'll damage its "natural oils" by using strong cleaners, but I need something that is really effective at removing dirt and light stains without ruining the suppleness or changing the color of the leather.

3) BMW 535i Sedan with Dakota leather (also Lexus GS450h Sedan and Hyundai Sonata Sedan with coated leathers)

These leather interiors seem to be the easiest to deal with from what I've read here and elsewhere. Since the leather is fully protected by a heavy coating (it feels almost like leatherette), I've read that it is to be treated like vinyl, not as uncoated leather. Harsh cleaners can be used on it without concern as long as the coating is intact. The Lexus has one complication in that the leather is perforated which reduces the coating protection and exposes the raw leather to the elements. My thought is to treat it more like the semi-aniline in 2) than the near-fake leathers in this section.

Well, that's what I'm up against. Does my description of the type and use of the leathers help to define which products are appropriate for their care? I hope to discover (or be told) what products are good for both emergency application to deal with spills, stains, and contaminants as well as which products are needed for the long-term health and appearance of the leathers. As always, any help you gentlemen can provide is greatly appreciated.