Diamondite Speed Clay Sponge

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by DJBAILEY, Jun 21, 2012.

1. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Decided to try the Diamondite Speed Clay out since its been on BOGO on AG for a while. Decided to try it out on my wife's Caravan. The thing is probably 30% glass surface area so water spots stick out like a sore thumb next to the glossy smooth silver paint. I have hard water so preventing the spots is an ongoing battle.

Started with the driver's window then worked my way around the back then up to the passenger window. I was doing this outside in the evening hours and started on the shaded side of the minivan. Just before I was to start on the windshield I got a direct sunshine shot through the trees at the middle & back windows on the passenger side.

I SAW MARRING ALL OVER THE WINDOWS!!!! That damn scotch-brite pad that they give you scratched the hell out of my windows. Product directions saw to work the Speed Clay in cross hatch pattern. Well now I have cross hatch scratches on every window I used it on.

GUARANTEED NOT TO SCRATCH GLASS....MY ASS!!

If that pad needs a break-in period, then I guess 7 big windows is not enough because the marring hadn't lessened when I got to the last window.

I've hit them with Zaino Glass polish, Duragloss Nu-Glass, AG Glass polish and the DP glass restorer. None of them touched the scratches. So now I have 7 out of 8 windows with cross hatched scratches all over them but the water spots are gone!

I used the Speed Clay with a Mr Eraser sponge on the windshield and it cleaned well with no scratching.

I am done trying anymore Diamondite products. The windshield coating was lame too. Hated that you had to spray it onto the windshield.

Now I'm going to have to get a real corrective glass polish to try to remove all the scratches and spend a few hours on the windows. Its really that bad.

SO PISSED OFF.

2. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

cquarts sells a glass polish that MIGHT be able to remove that marring you got. There is a reason those speed clay sponges are NOT popular - they marr the hell out your finish! Contact ag, see what they tell you. You might be able to get your money back and get cquarts glass polish for free.

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Sorry to hear that!!!!
    Thanks for passing it on.

4. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

That sucks! How bad is it? Do you have any pics?

5. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

You took one for the team. Thanks for saving us all.

6. Noodles

Noodles Virgin Detailer

Sorry to hear. I have had great success with Nanoskin Autocrub on a DA. Easy and FAST. I get it from Phil at DD.

7. DJBAILEY

I'll take some pictures. I'm a horrible photographer. My post detail pictures always just look like a car sitting in a driveway that's why I never post any show n' shine threads (plus I only get to work on boring cars). A lot of you guys have developed some serious photography skills. The scratches should be easy to capture with my cell phone. I don't own a good camera.

I got burned before using a white scotch-brite pad that came with a glass polish that was a powder that you add water to make paste (can't remember the brand name Spot-X?). That pad was also guaranteed not to scratch. It made a mess of one of my truck windows but I realized what was happening early on. I never fixed those scratches so I guess I work on all of them at the same time.

8. DJBAILEY

IMAG0029.jpg

Here is picture of the driver's side passenger window. The big one that is part of the sliding door. You can see the directional scratches.

Do you guys think that Carpro Glass polish is meant for scratch removal? Sounds like it is more just for water spots

9. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

I'd even try compounding them as well, grab a wool pad and some M105 and see what happens. You cant make them any worse haha.

10. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

I thought I must have been doing something wrong but I hated their windshield coating too.

I forget the exact name of it but it does work quite well.

11. blackTL

blackTL Any Rag Vehicle Washer

There, problem solved lol

12. DJBAILEY

I was thinking that a surbuf pad and the Carpro Ceriglass Glass polish would be a good place to start. Seems like a MF pad like that would be a good choice for glass and the Surbuf ones are not too expensive. I'm having trouble finding a true cerium oxide glass polish. I thought that AG had one at one tiime but I can't find it.

13. DJBAILEY

On a side note: I am leaving for our family vacation this weekend so I won't bother working on the windows for a couple of weeks. So I wiped on 2 coats of Reload on the windows. The Reload did a good job making the marring less visible. I'm not saying it has fillers, but I was surprised by the improvement.

14. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Like someone mentioned, thanks for the warning! That must be a wicked pad! I've used vinegar and 0000 steel wool on water spoted windows without side effects.

15. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

105 and your compounding pad should cut those out.