Detailing in driveway bad?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by ps3king, May 9, 2009.

1. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

First i'm not sure if this is in the right category as I couldn't find a General detailing forum so I posted it here.

My garage is used for storage and is very limited in space so detailing my car in my garage is out of the question. Which means my driveway is going to be my detail sanctuary. Now, here's the problem I run into....weather!

How can I do a quality detail when fighting with dust particles, rain, etc...?

I was thinking I would put a car cover on my car to fight off dust after I'm done for that day, if any of you guys have detailed outside please let me know how you managed to do so.

Thanks,

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

You need to get one of those big tents. Most polishes and LSP's should not be applied in the sun. You want to be very careful with a car cover, I wouldn't recommend them as they can swirl your paint.

3. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I detail often in my driveway. Always in the shade though.

Just keep lots of fresh MF's and give every panel a quick wipe down before you polish. Just to keep the dust off.

I do have times when i can't detail because my trees just drop too much stuff, or it's too windy. Keep that in mind too.

4. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

I just do it in my warehouse. Nice and easy!

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

How about renting a small warehouse for your detailing pleasures?

6. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

luckily my driveway is covered with shade from about 2pm until sunset (about 8pm) during the summer months. I barely have enough money to buy all of my detail supplies so renting a warehouse is going to be something thats not within my reach this year. If i wasn't paying $7000 for tuition every year for school my detailing fantasies would've been completed ages ago!

7. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I have the same problem. My garage is tiny, and my driveway is steeply slanted on a hill going down TO the garage. It sucks, I have some shade, but not enough.

After spending way too much on detailing supplies, I now need to figure out how I'm going to afford a tent for detailing. ****.

8. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

have you tried polishing outside? maybe work in really small areas?

yea im in the same boat. let me know how you make out.

9. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

10. dtaildood

dtaildood Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Im in the same boat and Im looking for something like mentioned above. I just at the moment cant shell out 500$ for a tent. Which sucks because its limiting when I can do jobs and am at the weathers mercy!

11. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Hmmm well the polishes (Menzerna) seem to be doing just fine. I occasionally have some problems with them acting up, but I just clean the pad and they seem to do fine. I usually have the opportunity to pull the car into some area of shade, but it sucks having to move it around.

Say I'm doing the trunk, which is in the shade, but the hood has been sitting out in the sun for a little, I will move the car so the hood is now in the shade, and then spray ICE cold water on it, give it a little, then polish it. I always wipe down the panels with a QD before I polish them too. I'm getting an EZ UP hepefully soon so that should help out.

12. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

I'm forced to detail in a parking lot so to cope, I use products that are usable in the Sun like Poorboys and some Optimum products for eg.

Also I can't spend hours doing it so I choose products that are quick and efficient.

Also if you really have to do some hardcore work, split the work into sessions so you get a section done and do the others another time until its all done.

13. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

How's a 10x10 tent work out?