Detailing correctly?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by k33psp00lin, Sep 30, 2008.

1. k33psp00lin

k33psp00lin Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Well I would first like to say I'm just getting into detailing, I have always been into the simple Wash and wax without any real knowledge besides applying. So recently I have been reading up quite often about technique, do's and dont's etc. After much research I decided to give it a shot and order'd up from phil at DD. Great guy, but besides that I picked up a few things from him such as

PC KIT
    1Z high gloss polish, paste, and final finish, Also a bottle of 1Z wax.
    Plush MF towels.
    WW drying towel
    5.5 inch CCS pad- Grey, white, orange, blue
    Adams brilliant spray glaze
    Adams QD
    Adams APC
    Adams VRT
    Adams Car wash
    Adams Carpet and upholstery
    Adams Glass cleaner
    Adams Undercarriage spray
    Adams In n out spray
    Sonus Leather car kit
    Sonus SFX applicator
    DD Glass cleaner MF towel
    Sonus ultimate detailing towels
    Meg clay bar
    Foam gun from DD
    Fire hose nozzle
    P21S Gel

I've done a few family member cars so far, a black Yukon, Lincoln aviator, both just wanting a basic Wash/ Wax. (Give them what they want)

So recently I came across one of my family members wanting a
    Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax/Seal and ofcourse interior. It is a 2007 audi Q7 and the paint is in very good shape. I was just interested in what you all thought about my current setup on product, is it going to be sufficent on the job or is there something else you would reccomend before I start the detail (clay/polish/wax)? Ive read alot and have learned alot from the forum and major props to all those adding to this website definitely has been more than knowledgeable!:thumb:

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

You have all the right stuff from the look of it, if the paint is good, hit it with the final finish after washing and claying. Then hit it with a sealant or straight to the wax.

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

nice product line up. i agree with bryansbestwax.

4. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Nice order!

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Audi paint is typically hard but maybe you might be lucky and have an Audi with rather soft paint. You'll be able to do some correction with a 5.5" orange pad and your PC but just be prepared that it may take a while depending on your technique (I'm not quite sure how familiar you are with the PC already).

However, I would suggest that you invest in 4" pads for your PC if you want to get some more correction power out of your PC.

6. k33psp00lin

thanks for the positive replys everyone, as far as the 4 inch pads go where can i get a good deal on multiple pads? also im looking into a good seal and wax can someone inform me of a product they have used and would reccomend? appreciate all the feedback everyone

7. kenny1775

kenny1775 Jedi Nuba

What colour is the Audi?

How long do you have to work on it?

8. Denzil

Denzil Guest

There are plenty of sealants and waxes that you can use. Since you're just starting out, I would suggest trying Duargloss 105 Total Performance Polish (sealant) and Collinite 845 or 476s (waxes).

9. k33psp00lin

The Q7 is lava grey pearl, Great color. As far as all the recommendations thank you very much. Im thinking as far as steps im going to go with Clay, Polish, Final finish, Wax? I am fairly new but I have done a few cars to get a little experience. Thankfully most cars haven't needed much correction. Appreciate all the help guys, also one last question. Who details from their home/garage and who is mobile? I'm trying to get an idea for the future.