Detailed the Ol' Lady; '02 Camaro SS

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by lbls1, Sep 11, 2009.

1. lbls1

lbls1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I was finally able to detail my signature car #1, and I'm showing the results of the work. The camaro didn't need quite as much paint correction, as it has been polished yearly as well as maintaining the finish.

Here is the personnel and product line-up.

Camaro SS w/ 71U (Red Parrot) base/clearcoat

Cleaning:
    Mother's California Gold Wash
    Sonus Detailing Clay
    Mother's Detailing Brushes

Polish Team
    PC with:
    Sonus SFX 2 (in small spots on hood), SFX 3 (finishing), Paintwork Cleanser
    Sonus SFX Polishing Pads (3" and 6") and backing plates

Clean up:
    Sonus Acrylic Spritz
    Acrylic Glanz

LSP:
    Zymol Vintage

The start: Let me explain about the masking/taping. I do this because in the past I occasionally got polish splatter from the pc; It is greatly reduced if you apply it to the pad. Trouble is, the wheels are polished and are a pain to clean. Its tedious to do the taping, but it is a great relief once the polishing is done in that you don't have the clean-up from dusting and splatter that you would normally have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Result w/one round of Vintage
    [​IMG]

On location:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lbls1

Some different locations:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Authentic hood!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. lbls1

Last two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far it seems that the wax and paint are still cooperating. Unfortunately I was (very) late in starting my wax routine for the car(s), so this year will end up being shortened in layering of more wax. The good thing about this type of wax is that you do not need a lot of it to see results.

Be good! Comments welcome.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

looks good.
    you should try posting up some befores and after of your polishing work and maybe some 50/50 shots as well. I'm not trying to be rude, just some pointers on a better write-up, thats all.

5. lbls1

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. I am a little lazy with taking pics during the detail, but in reality the 50/50 shot is a good indicator of how effective the polishing methods are working. On my next polish task I may do just one panel with a tape shot and with a sample of the polishes and pad combos just to highlight how the polish is working.

6. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Looks amazing man. You shouldn't be getting polish splatter, unless you are applying way too much polish on the pad and not spreading it first correctly. Tires look great, what did you use, Ultima TTG Plus by any chance?

7. lbls1

I have found (with later attempts) that when I apply it to the pad then I could control the splatter. The first few times when I started with the pc I was getting a lot of splatter (thus I started covering the glass as well).

I used Eagle 1 Tire Dressing when I took the location shots. Thanks.

8. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Nice job. I love som.

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

All that taping looks like it would take forever!

I just rewash the car after polishing...

Looks Amazing!

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Nice work. Some people really take masking and taping pretty far... How long does something like that take?

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Love the wetness and depth Vintage gives!!! I think I need to start saving my pennies for Vintage...

12. lbls1

It takes roughly 30-45 minutes on the taping. I will cut back with covering the windows next time (due to my early experiences with scattering and dusting). The trim, light lense edges, decals and bottom windshield cowl I think I'll still cover modestly. I probably won't cover the wheels next time either since I didn't do it for the truck detail. I do like not having to clean up the car from dust and splatter, but I'm using better pads and polishes as of late.

Thanks for the comments! All are welcomed.

13. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

14. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Car looks wonderful man, very nice shots. My favorite location is in front of the building with the glass, I love how the different trim pieces of the windows reflect all over the top of the car in those particular shots.

15. lbls1

^That area presented an interesting op in terms of lighting. I found that spot by chance a couple of years ago and I wanted to include it in this photo op while I had the fresh wax on. Its too bad that this will be a shorter year for me, but at least I had just a little time for some fun.

Thanks again.

16. Domman56

Domman56 Birth of a Detailer

Haha awesome I was gonna ask you what tire dressing u used it looks amazing glossy without being oily looking. And the car came out AMAAAZING man:worship2:

17. lbls1

Ya I'm not one for overdoing the tire dressing per se. It gets on the fenders and such. Just a little goes a long ways! Cool thanks!

18. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Very nice!!!! I don't think I remember seeing that color on the Camaro?? Looks great!!!!

Vintage normally, IME, tends to mute metallic finish. This color looks great!!

Andy

19. lbls1

Thanks. I heard someone (Nica....sp sorry) say the same thing. On this color the metallic flakes are less prominent, and thus Vintaaaaghhe seemed at home with the color and shading. On my truck detail I was able to notice the metallic flake hushing more. Its not necessarily a bad thing IMO, but it was a surprise to find this out after enjoying and observing this wax for a few years.