Detailed Nissan Truck

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by JLs Detailing, Nov 18, 2007.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Well guys this truck belongs to my father in law and if it belonged to anyone else I probably wouldn't have wanted to do it. You see he came over and asked me if there was anything that I thought I could do for the truck. You see this is a single stage paint job from Maaco that is about 3 years old. The truck is outside all the time and is just an old daily driver. Well he wanted it to look better so I told him I would do my best but I really had an alterior motive in that I wanted to put the Flex to the test :thumb:. All I did was an exterior detail because he just wanted to see if the paint was salvageable. Like I said this was a cheap Maaco paint job so the results are not astounding but it does look a lot better and he was happy so that's all that really matters I guess. I also got to try out the Flex with a LC foamed wool pad for the first time and it worked really well.

Here is what I did:

Tires/Wheels: The chrome wheels were in pretty rough shape so I decided to start with P21S polishing soap. It did a really good job considering. After rinsing with the pressure washer I went back and hit the wheels with Surf City Beyond Steel wheel cleaner and my black wheel Shmitt and a rinse bucket. I used Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff from my spray cannon on the tires. You could see all the old dirt and AA rolling off it, brown stuff all over the driveway! I also used the MS Super Green Stuff on the wheel wells and then dressed the wells with Majestic Solutions Quick Details. The tires were dressed with MS Super Dress All. The wheels could have used some more attention but he wanted my mother in laws new Avalon done that day as well so I just moved on. Considering to get the wheels right would be a major job I called it good and he was content with the way they looked.

Engine: The engine got the same 'ol same 'ol. I rinsed, sprayed with MS SGS, agitated a little bit, rinsed, dried with leaf blower, and dressed with MS Quick Details.

Glass: Glass inside and out got Surf City Clearly Better glass cleaner. Wiped on with WW MF and wiped off with Guzzler. I had one of the large Guzzlers that I rarely used because it was just too big. Well one of the girls that works at the doctors office with my wife does alterations on the side so I got her to cut it in half and sew up the edges and I now use the two Guzzlers a lot.

Wash: I used Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss via the foam cannon and a Boar's hair brush with a rinse bucket with a grit guard. The bugs got Majestic Solutions Bug Off. This was the first time I had used the Bug Off and it worked just as well as Poorboys Bug Squash which was my favorite. I used the Pinnacle Safe Scrub and like I said it did as good or better job than the PB's.

Paint: Ok the hood and roof were awful. Heavily oxidized I guess is what you would call it. This was single stage Maaco paint so my expectations were not too high but neither were my fears of damaging it either :D. I could have used Menz. Power Gloss but why waste my best stuff on a freebie. No really I had some Optimum Hyper Compound that I got from my bud MotorCity that I had been wanting to try so I figured this was the perfect time. I used the Hyper Compound on the hood with the Legendary Flex with an orange LC pad at a speed of 5. Here are some pics of what I was up against and some 50/50 hood shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the Hyper Compound I used the 1z High Gloss Polish with the Flex and a white LC CCS pad @ speed 3 and here is what the hood looked like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The roof was in a little worse shape so I decided to try a LC foamed wool pad with the Flex @ speed 5.5. Here are before and 50/50 shots of that:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I polished the rest of the roof and the rest of the truck with 1z High Gloss polish with a white LC CCS pad and the Flex @ speed 3. One odd thing was this time and this was the first time the 1z did not dust on me at all, and I mean absolutely none at all. I think it was sneek that had said that he didn't see dusting but I had. Really strange that it was absolutely no dusting at all this time but I was pleased with the no dusting and the overall results with the 1z. Again I think this is the poor man's 106ff. All the compound and polish was buffed off with the Cobra Jr MF. I have a whole new line up of MFs on the way from CG's and can't wait to get them. The LSP for the truck was Surf City Nano Seal applied with the Flex and a blue LC pad at speed 1.5 and then buffed off with another Cobra Jr. I really have never been let down by the Surf City Nano Seal and this time was no different. Considering what it was on I think it did a pretty bang up job. Like I said my Father in law was happy so my wife was happy so that made for a great evening :thumb:! Here are the pics (of the car not the evening :D)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Signature Shot:
    [​IMG]

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

That is just great work. I am short for words! I am glad that you are getting the same 1Z experience as me. Isn't this just awesome?

Was the truck single stage? I would thin that it is but I can't tell for sure. M80 on wool would have done a pretty good job too. Again fantastic job!

PS: It isn't really a poor mans 106, :D IMO it is better than 106. Usually I don't look at prices when purchasing polishes because you use so little everytime you polish something. This stuff just breaks down faster and gives a different look than 106. 106 is more bright, where as this finishes darker.

3. JLs Detailing

Yes it was single stage paint. You know I have a small amount of M80 that someone gave me as a sample and I thought about using that but decided on the OHC and 1z. I really wanted to use the 1z again and I wasn't disappointed.

4. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

wow wow wow, awsome turn around.. the truck turn around is fantastic

5. JLs Detailing

The only reason I didn't use speed six is because I didn't have to! This machine can do some amazing work at speed 5. I just saw the typo for the roof where I said 5.5 :D, it was speed 5. I'll correct that, thanks.:thumb:

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Nice turn around on that pale looking paint :thumb:

The 50/50 pictures really show the improvement you made to the paint.

Well done, Flex looks good too :wicked: The Flex seems to have the same design as the Metabo...can't wait to get mine :righton:

7. JLs Detailing

Higher gloss huh. I just might have to give speed 6 a rip too!

8. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

The man is right. I am not even sure why! Zoran and I have been discussing this for a while. High speed = high gloss for some reason. I think it might be because the abrasives are full broken down faster and you spend more time jeweling the finish to a high gloss. It just gives you this unmatched clarity and crispness that I have never before seen. Use the same arm speed just have the polisher on 6 and just work it in really well. The 1Z HGP and the OHC have a long working time. I want to give the 1Z Intensive Pasta a spin, but I have yet to find a car that has needed it. HGP is a really good polish, minus the fact that it smells pretty bad + a hint of lemon.

The only reason I suggested M80 is because it was a single stage. M80 is really rich with paint nourishing oils. The wool pad should have given it enough cut to work through the oxidation. Not to mention that I have never really heard of M80 dusting. :D Just didn't want to sound like a Meguiar's pusher (haha even though I am)

9. Nica

Nica Banned

That's funny becuase I feel the same way when I say that Victoria Concors looks sharper layerd :confused: I think it's just me :crasy: hahahaha :rollinglaugh:

10. JLs Detailing

Yeah I see the truck all the time and for the guy that turned me on to the best polisher in the entire civilized world sure thing!

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

That's a great turnaround! Xtreme makeover!

12. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Very nice wolfpacker :D Love the work, looks new again. I always look at your house, its so nice! Just the house I want!

13. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Great turn around on that oxidize paint. Looks alot better.

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Amazing turnaround, especially considering it was a singe stage paint job and how heavy the oxidation was. Really nice work on the wheels as well. That color looks hardcore by the way, almost ex-military!!!

15. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

Amazing turnaround. How was the cleanup of the pads? I did a 280Z that wasone stage and black, it took me an hour to clean the damned pads!!

16. JLs Detailing

I let the pads sit for an entire day in the DP Pad Rejuvenator. The next day I cleaned them and they cleaned up pretty well. The bucket of DP PR solution was brand new and will usually last me a few days and mulitple pad washings but I had to throw this batch out after cleaning these.

17. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

i know there still black :woopdedoo:....

18. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

:( I tried man, i swear!!

19. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

JL that is a fantastic job!! great turn around on the paint...and I'm patiently waiting to find the best deal on the Flex... might have something going on with AG... I can't wait. You gotta get away from that MS tire stuff... for me it's just too flat. But hey that my stinky opinion.

20. JLs Detailing

Thanks Dust. I tell you I can't wait for you to get your Flex. You know I had great success with the MS tire dressing on my tires but I'm not sure if it was because they are so well maintained, because here lately I have not been having much success using it on other people's cars. On this one I had to do 2 coats. I want to play around with mixing DP with it again. This time I think I'll try a 50/50 mixture to see how it does. As far as tire dressings go though I am sold on CG's Extreme VRP right now. I just ordered a gallon of it. Best part is I can use that inside as well and I see a lot and I mean a lot less dust build up on the dash of my vehicles now.