Detailed Black Buick Rainier

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by JLs Detailing, Dec 18, 2007.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Well my neighbor has been seeing me detail a lot of cars and finally she came over and asked if I would do her Rainier for her. The car had some swirling but nothing major until you got to the doors on both sides. I'm thinking the scratches and such were caused by the grandkids more than anything else. We weren't doing paint correction but I decided to clean the doors up anyway. I decided for the rest of the polishing to try something I had been reading about but hadn't seen where anyone had actually done it .... so I tried it. I mixed Menzerna 106ff with Clearkote RMG. I used 75% 106 and 25% RMG. I thought this combo did a really good job and there was absolutely no dusting. Well here's what I did:

Tires/Wheels: The tires and wheel wells got Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff. I also used the MS SGS on the barrels of the wheels. The rest of the wheel got Surf City Beyond Steel. The tools used were my EZ Detail Brush and my Black Wheel Shmitt. I dressed the wells with Chemical Guys Bare Bones. This stuff is incredible and I assume is like the Adams Undercarriage Spray. All you guys that raved about the Undercarriage spray were right if it is like the Bare Bones. I had tried non-aeresol sprays before for the wells but they were water based and didn't work well at all for me. The Bare Bones must be like aeresols and solvent based because it did great with no noticeable running or lack of coverage like you get with water based dressings. Bare Bones does have a noticeable smell to it but it works like a champ. I will be purchasing a gallon of this stuff as soon as what I got from FMINUS runs out (thanks for the chance to try this out bud, but I still think you own futures in CGs and getting me involved just pads your portfolio). The wheels were dressed with Surf City Beyond Black which was applied with the foam tire applicators from CG's. I really like these better than the Cobra Foam applicators because the ones from CGs are already curved and I seem to get much better coverage with them.

Engine: It got the usual, a rinse, sprayed with MS Super Green Stuff, agitate with brush, rinse, dry with leaf blower, and finally dressed with MS Quick Details.

Interior: I cleaned the interior with CG's Total Interior Cleaner. Inside was a little dirty but mostly just pretty dusty. After a good wipe down of everything I protected everything with Optimum Interior Protectant. I love the matte finish you get from Optimum, makes everything look so clean and new! Inside was then vacuumed and floor mats cleaned by spraying CGs Lightning Fast extractor on them and letting them sit. After about 10 minutes I go back with a wet white MF and wipe them down. It is amazing how all the stains just disappear. I then vacuum them and put in the obligatory stripes...you gotta have the stripes. I highly recommend the Lightning Fast Extractor for everyone, it has yet to let me down, and yes this was another recommendation from FMINUS. I tell you he and OrngeZ have yet to steer me wrong on a single thing they have recommended from CGs. I used DP 4n1 QD solution for cleaning all door jambs.

Leather: Ok it was time for Leather Master Strong cleaner again. This time the leather in the front seats was in really good shape but the back seats had a lot of marks, scuffs and general dirt on them. My neighbor is the grandmother to 4 year old triplets and guess where they sit.:shakehead: Well I did manage to get the Leather Master to foam up some but not like I figured it would. Regardless it does a fantastic job cleaning and requires no elbow grease from me, which I like. It is almost as simple as wipe on wipe off. I did all the seats and then went back and wiped them down with a white MF. After wiping them down I put on Surf City Voodoo Leather Rejuvenator.

Glass: Inside and out got CG's Glass Cleaner.

Wash: I used CG's Citrus Wash n Gloss in my Foam Cannon and a Chenille MF mitt. The top of the SUV was washed with a boars hair brush. Bugs got Majestic Solutions Bug Off and Pinnacle Safe Scrub.

Clay: That's right this has become a regular part of my routine now thanks to you guys. This time I heeded the advice of MotorCity and Dust2Glory and used virtually no pressure. I used the Adams Grey clay and DP 4n1 clay lube. Doing this with almost no pressure at all left a silky smooth surface and no marring this time and on black no less! Huge props to you two guys on getting me through this and everyone on here that kept telling me this needed to be included in my regimen....my customers thank you too!:hug:

Paint: Like I said earlier the paint was OK but the doors were really bad. I used my Flex and an orange LC CCS pad on speed 5 with Menzerna 106ff and got some really good results:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the rest of the car I decided to mix 75% 106ff with 25% RMG and apply via the Flex on speed 5 with a green LC CCS pad. This combo had absolutely no dusting and did a great job. I buffed everything off with CGs black and yellow MF. After I finished polishing the paint looked outstanding and figured all it needed now was a some JetSeal 109! I applied the JetSeal via the Flex on speed 1 with a blue LC CCS pad. The JetSeal was buffed off with the CGs green edgeless MF.

Well here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some reflection shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The signature shot:
    [​IMG]

Any advice and and all comments welcome!

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Great work!

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

DANG IT I cant load teh pics at work! Im sure you did a great job! Ill read it again when I get home!

I used to use the 75/25 RMG mix. Even though some thought it would hide due to RMG's filling capabilities, 25% mixture just isnt enought to do any real hiding.

I use 106FA and there is a lot less dustin than FF.

Try clay magic from Autozone, its the cheapest clay out there and it works great. Just make sure to NOT use soap as clay lube. Use a QD. CM doesnt hold up well to shampoos.

Im going to order some OPT interior protectant and tire shine on the my order!

4. JLs Detailing

Yeah I don't think there is enough RMG to do any real hiding either but I do think it adds to the shine that 106 is capable of producing. And you are right about the clay magic and soap because that was how I tried it and the clay did not hold up well. I bought the Optimum protectant when AG was closing out the old formula and wish I had bought more of it. I like that it has a little cleaning ability as well.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

LORDY LORD Wolf, that is WICKED!!! The befores (from far away) didn't look that bad, but the AMPING of the paint in the afters is HUGE!!!

And I echo FMINUS' comments in regards to the Clay Magic clay: it's EXCELLENT value!!!

6. JLs Detailing

Yeah the Rainier was like one of those "Blockamore" girls. You know the girls that from a "block or more" look pretty good but when you get up close :what:. I have seen this car a 1000 times and never thought the doors looked that bad. But yeah other than the doors it wasn't in bad shape at all and the 106/RMG and JetSeal really set the paint off! I like how you put it better though...AMPED UP!

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

WOW, are the "Blockamore" girls a bit like "Butterface" girls???

8. JLs Detailing

You Got It!

9. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

WOW...awesome turnaround...Great work.

10. ehuth1

ehuth1 Birth of a Detailer

Nice turnaround WOLF!!

11. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Very nice job wolf, as always ;) The doors was a mess, but look great now. Always enjoy your writeup, and the pictures!

12. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

great job. It looks awsome

13. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Thats such a great job, I can spot that JS look anywhere!

What did the lady say?

14. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

JL top notch work there "PIPPY":lol2:

on the real though... very nice work there, especially on the doors and Im glad the claying worked out for you. I'm not gonna lie, I don't clay that much anymore. mostly cause I had to drop my prices and people don't care. there are a few occasions i'll get the bug and do it, but not like in the old days.

on a side note, you gotta get a CG shirt, I got one and they rock:woot:

my favorite shot was of the B/A of the hood, alot clearer, depth and reflection.

and on your mixture, I did 75/25 of 106ff and dg 105. works great as well

15. JLs Detailing

Thanks, since you joined there's just another great detailer I have to try and keep up with.

Thanks bro!

My man pirex glad you like the write ups I try hard to remember everything. Yeah doors were a mess but they came out great with the help of the trusty Flex!

Thanks next time I do one of my vehicles I think I'm going to try the hand waxing thing.

Oh man she loved it! I found out after I took it back to her that she had told her husband that for Christmas she wanted me to detail her car... and she was thrilled with her Christmas gift. She loved that JS look. And you are right about being able to spot it. Both black vehicles (hers and my Jeep) sitting there with two entirely different looks to them. Mine with Lusso and hers with JS. I love Lusso but I like the JS look better.

The hood pic is one of my favs too because I ran the Flex over the chrome grill area and thought that the 106/RMG really brought that dull chrome back to life! I know what you mean about most people don't really care about the claying because when you tell them you clayed the car they look at you with this glazed look and you know they have no idea what you are talking about! I do think that the polishing goes a lot easier and my pads don't seem to get as nasty when I clay first.

And I'm really hoping for one of the CGs shirts (calling FMINUS :whistle:). Oh and for the record I'm just a "Pippy" wannabe, I'm not worthy of that title yet, but I'm working on it!

16. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Great job! :thumb:

17. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

great job, it looks awesome. Black is always fun to see before/after shots.

18. Nica

Nica Banned

Well done :applause: the vehicle looks great

I like the relfection of the hood looks wicked :thumb:

Thank you for sharing

19. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

great job, very well done! I love PO106FF/RMG 75/25 mix myself!!!