Detailed - 2009 Nissan GT-R

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by JoeyV, May 12, 2012.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Hi again guys,

One of this weeks jobs was this beauty. A 2009 Nissan GT-R, which belongs to Jack. Aside from the fact that it is a marvel of engineering, this particular car has an interesting story to it. This is the very first GT-R to be sold and delivered in Quebec, Canada. Since it's day of arrival, it has had a few fun upgrades, including a new exhaust system which gives it an amazing sound and growl. It's also seen it's power output bumped up to 500WHP (stock it makes 480-ish at the engine). This car used to be taken care of by another detailer, but he is moving on to bigger projects (opening a detailing business in Mexico), which caused Jack to look for someone to take over the job. He called me this morning and said he had seen some of my work on another forum and that based on what he saw, he wanted to give me shot. I happened to have a reschedule and a spot opened up, so timing was perfect. So, on to the detail!

Products Used:

Washing
    Zymol Auto Shampoo
    AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner
    Elegance All Purpose Cleaner
    Elegance Clay Lube
    Riccardo blue Clay
    Stoner's Invisible Glass
    AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber
    Various bushes and mitts.

Protection
    Collinite #845 Insulator Wax
    Zymol Glasur
    Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant
    Poorboy's World Bold N' Brite tire gel
    BlackFire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant

The car arrived in great shape to start with. There were only a few areas which needed particular attention for the cleaning stage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bumper was the first area with a little more needed attention. There were lots of bugs stuck to the paint, so I soaked them in APC for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behind the license plate was the other area. It had a huge build up of exhaust dirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the CWC to action.
    [​IMG]

And then we foam and wash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once cleaned, it was time to clay the car and remove what little contamination was present.
    [​IMG]

Like I said, there was very little, this is all that was pulled from the entire car.
    [​IMG]

A quick rewash including the gas door.
    [​IMG]

Then I brought her in and dried her off. Ifollowed up by applying the wheel sealant...
    [​IMG]
    ...and tire dressing.
    [​IMG]

While the Collinite was curing, I took care of the exhaust tips. Before.
    [​IMG]

50/50
    [​IMG]

And after.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What it looked like after buffing off the collinite.
    [​IMG]

Ready to apply the Glasur.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As seen on TV!
    [​IMG]

Some quick shots after the Glasur in the shop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After shot of the wheel.
    [​IMG]

The fun part was getting to sit in this car and drive it (okay, it was just down the street, in and out of the garage, but still. :p)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giving it a final wipe down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone want to go swimming? lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Permission for pictures and write-up granted by the owner.

As always, thanks for watching, and happy detailing!
    :)

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

looks good joey, stay tuned for a black one next week

3. JoeyV

Thanks, will do!

4. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Looks Amazing Joey! Great work my friend. And great choice of detailing shoes,Samba classics FTW!!! LOL

5. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Looks good Joey!

6. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job Joey. Did you ever get a ticket from the by-law for blocking the sidewalk :)?

7. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

Nice clean up on the car Joey.

Owner kept the interior pretty clean? No interior or engine bay shots? =p

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks great Joey! Whats the durability of Glasur like?

9. JoeyV

Thanks. They're actually Addidas Puntero for interior. They're what I've found to be the best driving shoes that let me feel the pedals the best and have some sort of durability.
    Thanks!
    Nope, I don't think that law applies to this part of town because all the drive ways are too short and every car parked in them blocks the side walks. That and when it's this type of car blocking the side walk, people let it slide :p
    Yup, interior was almost spotless. I just had to pick up a few things that I put in a bag in the trunk and vacuumed the interior. I also dressed the dash with AG Vinyl and Rubber and washed the windows, but that's it.

Thanks Ken. On it's own, I don't really know exactly how long because I always have either a sealant or 845 under it. But my guess would be in the 4-6 week range for a regular car. On this type of vehicle that rarely sees rain and is garage kept, maybe 8-ish? But these are just guesses, I have no real testing for this.

10. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Great work Joey. I thought that the exhaust system was actually powder coated black ... lol

Did you have any issues with Glasur? I used to own Glasur and like it, but it sweated a lot. The instructions actually recommend you leaving the car in the sun for a few hours for the wax to sweat.

11. dave_zok

dave_zok DB Forum Supporter

What a bad ass GTR. Nice Job

12. JoeyV

Thanks. That exhaust and the back of the p[late were awful. Easily 1/16th of crud caked on. lol No issues with the Glasur. I know it's a wax that sweats, but I made sure to apply it in the cool, brought the car outside in the afternoon and gave it another wipe down. The owner washes and cares for his cars well, so if it does sweat a little, it will be taken care of on the next wash.

Thanks. :)