Detailed: 2006 Subaru WRX STi - WR Blue Pearl

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Marc08EX, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Wheels/Tires:
    Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner and Meguiar's Deep Crystal on wheels
    Meguiar's APC on tires
    Meguiar's Hyper Dressing on tires
    Swissvax Wheel Brush for the wheels
    EZ Detail brush for the barrels

Wash:
    Gilmour Foam Gun
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss via Foam Gun and 2BM
    Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
    Swissvax Brush for Plastic Surfaces / Gas Tank

Clay:
    Meguiar's OTC Clay
    Meguiar's Last Touch

Paint Correction:
    Flex 3401 VRG
    Meguiar's G100 / 3.5" and 5" LC Backing Plates
    Meguiar's M105 / LC Orange Pads
    Meguiar's M205 / LC Black Pads
    Craftsman 500W Halogen Lights

LSP:
    Menzerna Powerlock / LC Blue Pad

Interior:
    Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer

Misc:
    Poorboy's Trim Restorer

This car was brought in to have the multi-step detail process. The owner basically wanted the paint to look its best. I was preparing for the worst because I've heard that subaru paint is very soft and sticky. Some people inflict marring by wiping off polish residue and some experience the product gumming up way too quickly. Despite the feedback, I still tackled on the job because the car is just plain COOL! I will let the pictures do the talking. :)

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the reason why you should always wax your car. No sheeting at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is from claying 1/4 of the hood. The paint wasn't as contaminated. The rear section was the worst part.

[​IMG]

After claying the car, I performed an IPA wipe down to see the true condition of the paint. The paint had a ton of swirls... I first tried using M205 to see how the paint would react but sure enough, it didn't remove all the swirls. I had to step it up to the M105/M205 combo. Here are some 50/50 shots:

Passenger side front door:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side rear door:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side rear door lower part:
    [​IMG]

Driver side front fender:
    [​IMG]

Driver side front door:
    [​IMG]

Nasty scratches underneath the gas tank:
    [​IMG]

Viola! GONE!
    [​IMG]

All the pictures above are taken after hitting the paint with M105. The before/after picture below is taken after doing the M105/M205 combo. The M205 made the reflections more crisp, clear and deeper but it was hard to capture through the camera.

Nasty scratches under the passenger front door handle:
    [​IMG]

Crystal clear paint:
    [​IMG]

Oxidation on the rear wing: It was hard to capture it in camera but I was able to improve it a lot.
    [​IMG]

I was trying to be artistic here while capturing the swirl free finish of the trunk:
    [​IMG]

2. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Afters:

I was pissed my SLR camera didn't have any battery left. I was using my point and shoot to capture some after shots so please excuse the quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also couldn't get a lot of sun shots because I was pressed for time and the owner had to go somewhere at a specific time.

Approximate time: 18 Hours.

What do you guys think? Opinions, comments and criticisms are welcome!

3. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

Looks good, that year of the STI has to be one of my favorites. Love the european styling look.

One thing that could do next time is just dress up the engine bay trim.

What wattage of light are you using?

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Looks good, yes, the paint is a PITA on these.......... great turn around.

5. dave_zok

dave_zok DB Forum Supporter

Very NIce job, That engine bay was nasty. And i think that 2006 WRB STI's are the best ones subaru ever made. I happen to have one too, but that does not effect my judgement.:doh:

6. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Nice work brotha!

7. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Thanks! Yeah this is my favorite WRX body style. I'm using a 500W halogen setup.

The engine wasn't supposed to be cleaned but I still gave it a slight bath because it was just filthy. I didn't wet the center part of the engine because I was afraid I might damage some components so that was still slightly dusty. I didn't put dressing on because the owner works in a very dusty environment so it'll just attract dust very quickly.

Thank you sir!

Thanks! I agree this is the best WRX body style! After this detail, I want to get a STi! LOL!

Thanks a lot Dave! This sure does carry a lot of weight coming from you!!! :)