Detailed: 1996 Chevy Corvette Convertible - Black

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Marc08EX, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Wheels/Tires:
    Meguiar's Multi-piece Wheel Cleaner and Cleaner Wax on wheels
    Meguiar's APC on tires
    Meguiar's Hyper Dressing on tires
    Swissvax Wheel Brush

Wash:
    Gilmour Foam Gun
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss via Foam Gun and 2BM
    Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
    Meguiar's Interior Brush for the convertible top

Clay:
    Meguiar's OTC Clay
    Meguiar's Last Touch

Paint Correction:
    Flex 3401 VRG
    Meguiar's G100 / 3.5" and 5" LC Backing Plates
    Meguiar's M105 / LC Orange Pads / Meg's Polishing Pads
    Meguiar's M205 / LC White Pads
    Craftsman 500W Halogen Lights

LSP:
    Menzerna Powerlock / LC Blue Pad (left 12 hours to cure)
    Autoglym HD Wax

Interior:
    Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
    Meguiar's APC+

This car was brought in to have the multi-step detail process. The owner basically wanted the paint to look its best. I was excited to get my hands on this car because it's a CORVETTE!!! In addition, the paint color's black so the difference will be noticable.

The car came in worse shape than originally anticipated. It's ok since it's a chance for me to showcase my detailing skills. This car presented 2 challenges. First, the car had different paint jobs throughout the car therefore different techniques were used to attack each section. Second, the car originally had a leather bra in the front bumper and as a result of this, it scuffed up the bumper pretty bad. I will let the pictures do the talking. :)

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the leather bra left the paint looking bad. You can see the scuff marks underneath the turn/park lights. Also, the brand of the leather bra indented itself to the paint through the accumulated dirt in between the bra and bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wash:

[​IMG]
    Dirty Wheels

[​IMG]
    Clean Wheels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is from claying 1/4 of the hood. The paint wasn't as contaminated. The rear section was the worst part.

After claying the car, I performed an IPA wipe down to see the true condition of the paint. The paint had a ton of swirls...

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Passenger Side Door

[​IMG]
    Passenger Side Front Fender

I always start with the least aggressive method to get the job done. The car being more than 10 years old, I wanted to be as fragile as possible. This was the result after hitting a panel with M205.

[​IMG]

This method was still leaving some swirl marks behind. I wasn't happy with the results because I promised the customer a "swirl-free show car finish". I stepped it up to the M105 and finishing it up with M205 after. Here are some 50/50s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above is the passenger side rear quarter panel after finishing it with the M105/M205 combo. The paint's reflection and depth were amazing. Not to mention it being swirl free. There were still a ton of RIDS that are too deep for me to remove.

Driver Side Rear Quarter Panel:

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

[​IMG]

Driver Side Door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trunk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Those 2 RIDS were pissing me off... :(

Rear Bumper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front Bumper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

After applying Menzerna Powerlock left to cure overnight and applying a coat of Autoglym Hi-Def Carnauba Wax the next morning. I couldn't believe how wet and slick the paint looked after. You be the judge...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I didn't have the garage pictures to show how wet the paint looked.

Approximate time: 18 Hours. I need to learn how to become more efficient.

What do you guys think? Opinions, comments and criticisms are welcome!

3. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

you brought that car back from the dead. looks great. i'm sure the owner was thrilled.

4. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

You did a great job I bet he was happy with the results seeing that the condition it was in previously, for the RIDS you can try wet sanding a little with 2500 and 3000 grit but if you dont have a depth gauge I would just leave them be.

5. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I cringed at every photo (well...besides the results ones).

Great work indeed!