Detailed: 05 Volvo XC90

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by JLs Detailing, Nov 7, 2007.

1. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

OK fellas I know I have been teasing some with some preliminary pics of the Volvo when reviewing the foam cannon and the Flex. Well here is the full blown detail. My buddy that owns the car lot that I do a lot of details for had this vehicle. He and his family live around the corner from us and my wife had been admiring the XC90 for a little while, especially when she left the gas pump with the Suburban. She mentioned to me that she thought she would like to have one so I asked him how much one would cost me. He said he would sell me his for exactly what he paid for it at the sale. The price was too good to pass up so I bought it, sold the Suburban, and am feeling much better as I ride past the gas pumps more frequently instead of stopping :p.

Well I really like his wife and she is a good friend of my wife's but man she does not baby a vehicle. The outside only had minor swirling but the inside was showing the wear of 2 kids. I swear if my two who are the same age as their two treated my cars like this they would be relegated to walking :p. The detail took place over 2 days and I enjoyed every single minute of it! When I finished Sunday evenining due to time change I was unable to get pics. However on Tuesday I slid out of work and went to my wife's work and got some pics of it in the sun.

Well here's what I did:

Tires/Wheels: The wheels got SC Beyond Steel Wheel cleaner, still my favorite wheel cleaner. The barrels, tires, and wheel wells got Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff. I used the EZ detail brush and the black Shmitt ( some of Nica's swissvax brushes will be in my arsenal before too long). I had been using the LC wheel Ultimitt but it started coming apart even faster than the Shmitts did. I must say I was disappointed in the Ultimitt's durability and couple that with it being so much bigger than the Shmitt (I have small hands) I don't think I'll be using or ordering anymore. The tires were dressed with Chemical Guys Extreme VRP and man I am really starting to love this stuff....I see a gallon of it in my next purchase. Wheel wells got Stoners Trim Shine. I also used DP Wheel Glaze on the wheels. Put it on with the Wolfgang finger pockets, and buffed it off with my corded variable speed Hitachi drill and Mother's mini powerball.

Engine: It got the usual rinse, sprayed with Super Green Stuff, rinsed, dried and dressed with Stoners Trim Shine. The Super Green Stuff is so good I don't even have to put a brush on the engine.

Interior: I used Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner on everything inside and it needed it. After cleaning all vinyl and plastic it was protected with Optimum Interior Protectant. I really love the matte look of Optimum, makes everything look so clean and new! I cleaned the leather with CG's TIC then used CG's Liquid Leather Conditioner because it does some cleaning as well as conditioning. After that I used the SC Voodoo Leather Rejuventator and man the leather looked as good as new again and man I love that smell. I vacuumed with the Shop vac. The speedometer bezel plastic, radio display, and DVD screens in the head rest all got DP Plex All. I also used this on the woodgrain like trim inside. I have found nothing make this pseudo-woodgrain trim look any better than Plex-All.

Glass: Inside and out got Surf City Clearly Better Glass Cleaner. To me there is absolutely bar none no other glass cleaner out there better than this stuff. It never streaks on me and I have used it on glass so hot that when I sprayed it on you could see the vapors come off the glass. It was put on with a MF and wiped off with a WW.

Trim: For the first time I strayed from my mainstay Poorboys Trim Restorer. This time I decided to give CG's Extreme VRP a shot at it. As far as looks go I saw no difference and the VRP held its own against the champ. Durability will be the real test and we'll see how that goes but for now VRP is doing a great job. I do have a question for you guys concerning trim. On the trim around the back passenger tire you can see where someone hit it several times with what looks like a rotary and scuffed the trim. It looks sort of like trim that has been hit with wax, not quite that white but definately lighter. Is there anything out there that you guys would reccommend that I try to see if I can make it darker?

Wash: I used the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss in the foam cannon. Man this stuff cleans like no tomorrow and in the foam cannon and my pressure washer gave me almost shaving cream like foam. I used a boar's hair brush and rinse bucket with grit guard. I was very pleased with the Citrus W&G and it deserves all the hype it gets. Everything was dried with the leaf blower and guzzler with DP 4n1 QD.

Headlights/Taillights: All were cleaned/treated with DP Plex-All. This stuff is like Plexus on steroids!

Paint: OK we all know I was dying to get on the paint because my new toy the Flex XC3401 VRG was steadily calling my name. I finally got to use it Sunday and as I said in the review it did not disappoint. I used Menzerna 106ff with a green LC CCS pad on speed 5 to get rid of all the swirling. Buffed it off with a Cobra Jr. Once the polishing was done the clarity of the paint was magnified a ton! I was so pleased I just wanted to do more....so I did. Next up was CG Wet Mirror Finish. I applied this at speeds 1.5 and 2 with a gray LC CCS pad. I buffed it off with Cobra Jr. Next I brought out the big dawg...CG's JetSeal. The more I use this stuff the more I love it, my all time favorite sealant! I used the Flex with a red LC CCS pad @ speed 1.5. Well after removing the JetSeal with a Cobra Indigo I was trying to decide if I wanted to top with a nuba. I was looking at my collection when I saw a little something my brother by another mother from Motown, MotorCity had sent me. There staring at me was a sampling of the wax, the myth, the Megs #16. I used the Flex at speed 1.5 with a blue LC pad. This was the first time I had used the Megs #16 and I really liked it especially when you consider how much it costs and how long it's been on the scene. I thought the Volvo turned out great and wife loved it so that's really all that matters right :D.

Well here are the pics (befores are actually after the wash with foam cannon):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Pardon my language Wolf, but SHIT, that is unbelievable! You are one hell of a detailer, your before and afters are out of this world! Great detail on the XC90. My father drives one on BBS wheels, let me see if I can find a pic of it somewhere.

Congrats on the new ride!!!

3. JLs Detailing

Thanks that means a lot coming from you. And I would love to see that pic! We are very happy with our purchase.

4. P1et

A few things I learned here:

1) Must get a Flex
    2) Jetseal is king of sealants
    3) Must get out my #16 more often!

5. JLs Detailing

That sounds about right! You are a good student grasshopper :p

6. P1et

Hahaha, yes, I have a lot to learn!

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Vehicle looks great buddy, I'm liking the way the tires look....very nice...mmm....;)

The engine bay looks great :thumb:

The reflection the vehicle has is very nice....oh by the way you got a castle as a house WOW the garage is sweet :righton:

Thank you for sharing and the vehicle is gorgeous, congrats.

8. JLs Detailing

Thanks Nica I know you have said before that you like my neighborhood well as you know the house across the street from me caught fire back in July and they are going to demolish it and sell the lot. Why don't you come on down South to NC and build across the street from me (it'll be the only lot available in the whole subdivision). We could do some awesome detailing and I'll let you use the Flex!

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Funny you should mention that, the wife and I were talking about purchasing a lot in the US....hmmm....detailing neighbor man that wold be wicked :righton::righton:

Sad to hear about the fire though, hope the family is doing well.

10. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Man Wolfpacker nice job! You make me really want the Flex Lol.

11. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

gret work on the volvo. It looks awsome. And night right up.

12. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Great Job on the detail. I never knew the inside of those SUV's were so nice. LOL now I am just waiting to order my flex.

13. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

nice work JL

14. OrngeZ

OrngeZ Birth of a Detailer

glad to see you like the VRP...definitely one of my most used of the CG line...especially on exterior plastic trim...great detail.....

15. JLs Detailing

Oh yeah I'm going to be buying a gallon of this on my next order because I like it so much! I tell you I used this on my dash and the inside of my Stealth and have not seen near the dust build up that I usually do.

16. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

How the heck did I miss this thread??

Dang bro, I am soo envious of your nice weather!! My details have slowed down a bit due to the climate :(

yet another A+ job amigo!! Bet the wifey loves it... AND DANG.. the new ride is PIMPIN! The kiddo's are riding in style back there.. Now you can roll around playing Jay-Z with all of your monitors on with only you in the car...lol

Seriously though Wolf, you are rocking the details man!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

PS - I am walking to shipping RIGHT NOW to send you some more samples:buffer: