Denim Transfer

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Berscht, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

I was wondering if anyone knows any tricks for getting denim stains out of tan and light colored leather? I was cleaning 2 month old Acura MDX today and it had denim transfer but just nothing would budge them. I first used Lexol leather cleaner, then tried some leather master strong, and then even tried a bit of APC but none of them would take it all out. Any tips?

2. Nica

Nica Banned

I know what would do it...ready...STEAM!!!! :giggle:

No seriously though, heat the leather up then use a leather cleaner oh and I used to use a bucket with HOT water and a yellow microfiber towel with a leather cleaner of course, this worked out okay.

Oh and I wouldn't suggest using APC, too strong of a chemical but that's just my :2cents:

3. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Ya don't use APC it's to strong. Try a magic eraser. Works wonders,just keep it wet.

4. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

Haha i had a feeling that the word steam was going to come up in this thread. Yeah I did not use much APC, just on the small section where it had it, then after realizing it dident work I did a water wipe to ensure I removed the product. The APC did not clean the leather very well anyways so lesson learned.
    mmm that is a good idea. I think I will give that a whirl.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

5. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Take it easy on that damn thing before you break it! J/K, I definitely want one.

6. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

+1 on wanting a streamer

7. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I do not recommend using a Magic Eraser on leather. For all intents and purposes, this product is artificial sandpaper. I have seen this product inflict considerable damage on plastic interior panels when used to remove scuff marks. I don't regard this product as being versatile; rather, its utility is limited to specific applications. I suggest cutting a concentrated all purpose cleaner 10:1 to remove the dye transfer. Gentle agitation with a clean towel or brush should work well; repeated applications may be necessary. Accomplish a wipe down with a clean, damp microfiber towel. This is a common technique and one I have used many times. In fact, I removed dye transfer from ivory leather in a Range Rover last week using this procedure. Hope this helps.

8. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

MMM conflicting ideas which one to choose? I could see how a magic eraser would work well, but I do not want to cause any damage. It seems to me that Diluted APC might be less riskey than a magic eraser... My APC did not work well, but maybe thats because its not a good APC. I dunnnno

9. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I understand your frustration. Everyone speaks from either their personal experience or that of others they have come in contact with. Just consider properties of the surface you intend to care for as well as the products available for this purpose. I conducted a quick search on the internet and came across some information. Wikipedia states the following: "The open cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is extremely hard, so that it works like extremely fine sandpaper"; evidently, this supports the information provided in my previous response. Despite this, some persons have had good results using this product on leather.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/attach...little-magic-eraser-leather-post-dsc02521.jpg

Then again, some have not.

Magic Eraser + Leather = FAIL - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3)

I recommend another application of all purpose cleaner. If you are not satisfied with the result, test the Magic Eraser in an inconspicuous area and proceed if you are pleased with the result.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Dye Transfer
    Is a common problem on lighter coloured leathers; this can be avoided by regular cleaning and the use of a protector. The transferred dye will ‘sit’ on top of the protection and can then be cleaned off by regular cleaning. Using a solvent on leather that has a stain or dye transfer will do two things;
    (a) Cause the dye to 'bleed' into the surface making it even more difficult to remove
    (b) Damage the finish requiring replacement.
    Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc) can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc (see Leather Master’s Strong Effect Cleaner)

Use caution if using Magic Eraser (it contains abrasives) on leather as it has been found to damage the surface of pigmented and covered leather, which may require replacement.

11. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

More great info, thanks everyone. I think I will stay away from the magic eraser and maybe try some letherique or really hot water and leather cleaner again. If not just another excuse to buy a steamer

12. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Yes steamer is your best bet. But i've used a magic eraser many times with excellent results also,with no ill results. You should always use the least aggressive procedure to accomplish the task at hand. And always test in an inconspicuous area first. If your to aggressive with it sure you will cause marring but the same can be said about using a micro fiber to aggressively. In other words use common sense.

13. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Where could one purchase said common sense? :D I need to buy some for some of the people that I have to deal with!

14. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

PM me.And i'll give you the secret place.:crasy::giggle: