Del Sol vs Crystal Rock (56k xxx)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by vxrmarc, Apr 6, 2008.

1. vxrmarc

vxrmarc Two Bucket System Washer

Well following on from the highly succesfull first thread on Crystal Rock on the 997 carrera s where World Peace was finally resolved and controversy was never mentioned i decided to ring my mate Alex up and ask him for his car for the day......

He has a 15 year old Del Sol that is slammed to the floor and has a 1.8 litre engine transplant in which revs to just over 10,000 rpm.

The car i knew was never gonna win any awards because the condition of the paintwork is quite bad as he self admits he never takes any care of it and correction was gonna be fun i knew from the start.....

So me mate has got a new wax and im gonna try it , its £500 a pop and in my eyes its ok and i like it but ill let you all scrap it out in the virtual boxing ring with what you think...:wall:

No images were edited or tampered in any way....Photoshop was not used and i pointed the camera and clicked , no settings were adjusted other than iso to try and stop the photos being too dark in certain situation and i manually focused on some to try and attempt to collect scratches in the viewfinder.....Hope thats ok...:p

So Alex dropped the car round at 5.15am on his way back from a club and left it outside for me and he got a lift home with his better half...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt get too many wash routine pics etc but car washed in maxi suds and 2 bucket methos...Wheels cleaned with p21,s wheel gel and usual brushes used.....Tar removed with auto glym tar and glue remover and buds used inside the centre caps to try and clean out the gunk in there...Centre caps then washed out and swissvax brush used to get in deep as it is quite intricate in there....Finally washed and foamed and clayed before being dryed with last touch and miracle drying towel....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car then put in garage although the front end did rub slightly on drive it is so low....

[​IMG]

The paintwork was then taped up and inspected....The car was reading from 110 microns to 450 in places and i think the car has been resprayed many times in various places so i think if i went to heavy handed with the makita the car may look like a gobstopper after sucking for half an hour...

The paintwork is badly scratched and swirled to buggery so swirls wouldnt be a problem but scratches would..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the roof was particularly bad so i decided to test the roof first and used 3.02 with a sonus fx1 pad which worked ok but in the end i used fast cut plus and refined with ff.

[​IMG]

And 50/50 shots...

[​IMG]

WITH FLASH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car although a beautiful colour and looking nice from the start photos possessed a real milky apperance and the colour was changeing dramatically really darkening up and bringing out the flake unbelieveably...

Correction work on front wing using 3m black top fine compound

50/50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 on bonnet

[​IMG]

6 hours and roof , bonnet and full side finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 hours more and other lower side finished and car then waxed no pre cleanse just qd..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wax took about 15 minutes to cure and then buffed off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first thing i notice about this wax is the depth it gives which is a property i like in any wax especially on this kind of colour...

[​IMG]

Wheels also waxed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car then 303 aerospaced , glass cleaned , exhaust cleaned , black wowed where appropriate , and quick detailed and buffed which is so important i think...

FINAL RESULTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

Awsome, the change in paint color and clarity looks like you painted it. I'll bet the owner was speechless.

3. 02CAMSS

02CAMSS Jedi Nuba

Awesome!!!

4. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Fantastic work mark!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

5. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Cracking job vxrmarc! Great prep work. :thumb:

6. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

wow! bravo... bravo... now that's a freakin great wax. the finish is very very nice..

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Looks great!

I am curious to see how this wax looks in person!

8. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Beautiful thanks for sharing with us. I love the pics you posted on the 997. Some are desktop worthy :)

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

"The car was reading from 110 microns to 450 in places and i think the car has been resprayed many times in various places so i think if i went to heavy handed with the makita the car may look like a gobstopper after sucking for half an hour..."

That has to be one of the best analogies I have ever read. I immediately pictured what you were talking about!:thumb: I too have started to quick detail and rebuff cars after wax removal before I deliver to the client. I'm glad to see someone else thinks that a great idea too. Great work all the way around, the car looks fantastic.

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

WOW! Those are some intense before and afters, incredible!

11. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Awesome !! I know he is glad he has you for a mate !!! Great job

12. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Looks great vrxmarc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice!!!!!!

13. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

WOW Looks outstanding! Very impressive!

14. Nica

Nica Banned

Very nice Marc, as usual a great write up and great pictures and best of all great correction :thumb:

Now about this wax? Which wax was it? You didn't mention the name.

Thank you for sharing with us :thumb:

15. exoticGuy

exoticGuy Birth of a Detailer

Amazing job! The pictures probably don't do the car justice.

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

WOW! Your ork always impresses me, here, an on detailingworld. You really know what you are doing, and you have great photography skills.

17. vxrmarc

vxrmarc Two Bucket System Washer

Crystal Rock Nica but first sentence was a bit tongue in cheek because i get flamed a little so thought id leave it out...lol

I really like this wax....I appreciate its not gonna be a cheap wax but Paul obviously feels its in the correct price bracket for what it can achieve and his customers are changing over to it and added that its formulated by Swissvax and Paul i think he,s onto a winner here...Obviously 99% of his customers are not online and most dont frequent forums so the real sale will never be known online but i wish him all the best with this new wax as he has wanted to achieve this for a long time , infact i commend any of the new wax makers to be honest including dodo and the likes because without these guys pushing boundaries and putting their time and effort into new things it would be a boring hobby to me... I dont really enjoy the machineing side as much anymore to be honest i find it a bit laborious as the side that now interests me more is the testing and new products and the combinations i can play with....That may sound silly but its like putting all the ingredients in a pan and baking a cake , all good getting the bits and mixing but only when you taste do you get the satisfaction in my eyes now... Im now gonna try the Adams range and also Supernatural to see what i think when it arrives so that,ll be fun....:applause2:

18. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh okay that's what I thought Marc but wasent sure, as for the flaming you have been receiving on the other forums you wont get any of that here...well you'll get lots of questions but hopefully no flaming like what you went through at Detailing World.

I agree with your statement about pushing the limits, I'm looking forward on getting my hands on Pauls new wax and I too will start with the 500GBP range first.

Thank you for sharing with us Marc, and look forward to your reviews about the new products you try out.

It's great trying new products out and yes pictures will never due a wax justise...but I still love pictures :woo: