Deep Gloss: Jet Black 2010 BMW M3 - HACKED!

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
    2010 BMW M3 in Jet Black
    Saved From the Hackers

[​IMG]

The owner of this beautiful M3 knew all to well the difficulty in getting a Jet Black bimmer with perfect paint let alone keeping it that way. For this reason he factory ordered this beauty as well as instructed the dealership to not wash his vehicle.

When he went to pick up his vehicle I am sure you can imagine his horror when he was greeted with a swirled up mess. Unfortunately the dealership took it upon themselves to be so kind as to treat his new machine to a “Hand Wash” as they so proudly touted.

When the owner expressed his dissatisfaction the dealership reassured that their “Hand Wash” could not have been the culprit but, they would send this out to a detail shop and have the problem rectified.

Want to guess how that turned out?

Fast forward to when the owner picks up the car after being “detailed”. The vehicle looked no better that before (worst actually), as the dealer explained it the detail shop “was not able to remove the swirls”, they also informed the owner that this is “how all cars look, swirls are just inherent to paint”…..

As you will see, not only was the detail shop not able to remove the heavy wash induced swirls but they were also kind enough to leave evidence of their shoddy work in the form of holograms throughout and left over compound/wax etc.

So, as they say… On with the show!

As always the cleansing process started with the wheel areas. Products used were

Chemicals:
    AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner: Used on rims and tires
    Meg’s Super Degreaser: Used on arches

Tools:
    Raceglaze XL Brush: Used for barrels on rims and to get into small clearance to scrub arches
    Black Magic Tire Brush: used to scrub tires
    Wash Mitt: Used to clean face of rims
    Megs Wheel Brush: Used to clean face of rims
    [​IMG]

AG CWC hard at work.
    [​IMG]

After the wheels/arches/tires were sorted out it was time to clean the paint.
    Wash process is below:

Entire exterior generously pressure washed
    Entire exterior generously showered with foam cannon (Chemical Guys Citrus Clear) and left to dwell for 5 minutes
    Entire exterior generously showered with foam cannon (Chemical Guys Citrus Clear) and left to dwell for 5 minutes
    While foam was dwelling the emblems and crevices were cleaned with Megs slide lock brush and bucket of diluted Chemical Guys Citrus Clear
    Exterior was clayed with Riccardo yellow clay and ONR as lube
    Exterior was blown dry and then dried with waffle weave micro fiber towels

Thick layer of foam working its magic
    [​IMG]

After dwell time
    [​IMG]

Condition of “freshly detailed” car by bimmer approved detail shop???? As can be seen there was a consistent level of scratches/marring/swirls/holograms throughout the entire paintwork of this vehicle.

Hood Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear Deck Lid Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drivers Side C Pillar Before:
    [​IMG]

Drivers Door Before:
    [​IMG]

Drivers ¼ panel before:
    [​IMG]

Nice holograms even on the side lip of hood before:
    [​IMG]

Drivers Rear ¼ Panel Before:
    [​IMG]

Passenger C Pillar Before:
    [​IMG]

Passenger Door Before:
    [​IMG]

Mirror Housing Before:
    [​IMG]

Roof Before:
    [​IMG]

Paint Correction:

As always, a test section was isolated in order to identify the best method for correcting the paint while removing as little clear coat as possible.

MANY different polish/pad combos were used. This paint was different than the soft Jet Black bimmer paint of yesteryear which is not necessarily a bad thing considering how ridiculously soft it used to be but, this paint presented its own set of obstacles such as:

I used several different combos with my Makita 9227 and I was not getting the results I wanted… Medium pad/polish combo did not correct the paint so I decided to try wool.. The wool just tore the paint up and created more work just to clean up after the wool. Anything I tried with my Makita delivered sub standard results

What I realized was that this paint responded better to a DA machine so, out came my new Megs V2 DA… Viola, we are in the money

The process I dialed in was as follows:

Megs 105 with orange LC pad (two times)
    Menzerna SIP with white LC pad
    Menzerna 106ff with black LC pad
    Menzerna 85rd with red LC pad
    91% IPA wipedowns (multiple) to ensure true correction

Some in process shots

Test Spot Before:
    [​IMG]

Sun validation of my process on the test spot (prior to 106/85rd):
    [​IMG]

Half and Half shot after all compounding / polishing steps (please excuse polish residue at bottom of panel):
    [​IMG]

After all paint correction was completed the vehicle was given a final wash to ensure all polishing oils/dust etc was removed.

Exhaust Tips: Never Dull & Surf City metal polish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used 303 wipes for the 1st time
    [​IMG]

Tires/Wheels/Arches
    Tires: Surf City Beyond Black Dressing
    Have to get the full tire dressed right…OCD much?
    [​IMG]
    Rims: Optiseal
    [​IMG]
    Arches: Chemical Guys Bare Bones
    Rubber Seals: 1Z Gummi Pfledge
    Windows: Surf City Clearly Better
    Engine: ONR wipe down/ dressed with CD2 engine dressing
    Chrome bagding, appliqués, trim: Duragloss 501
    Exterior plastic trim: Ultima or Duragloss 253

LSP was Rubbish Boys OE.

Sun Shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a fun sun shot…

From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

Beauty Shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Indoor gloss shot
    [​IMG]

HDR beauty shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Always Leave a Card (or two)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!​

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

:applause::applause::worship2:

Have him take it back to the dealer now and tell them to shove there "detailer" up there you know what!! That car looks beautiful, and with a DA!!!!!!

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

HOTNES!
    great job. which dealer? the one by you and me or one of the other ones? i would be super pissed. pissed enough to find a way out of the contract :)

whats up with the monster in the background of that one shot?

4. detailjohn

detailjohn Detailers Advertising Scheme

Fantastic work. That black paint looks wet...

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I noticed that monster too!!

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

That is the plan and also why I had so many pictures of all the defect areas...He is going to give the dealer 1 last shot to do the right thing. If not, it was documented to a degree that legal action may be taken.

Thanks man...

Not out here.. They travelled a few hours. PM me if you want but I don't want to disparage in public

That was delivered the morning the M3 was picked up... It is done and gone, I just need to sort the pictures out and schtuff..

Thank you!!

7. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Awesome job Jason.

8. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

NICE looking one!
    Great Save!

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

nice work man. that dealer blows. once again . . . . . . i use to work for BMW doing detail work and their pay is crappy. They don't care how their cars go out. It's a game of numbers and making sure the cars sell is the goal . . . . . . .

i hope he goes back to the dealer and gives the bill to them because delivering a vehicle in such a condition after one probably just dropped $70,000 is just flat out unacceptable.

Nice work though . . . . . and very nice camera work! What camera you working with?

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

Great work as always Jason. seen one couple days ago at light, when it took off it sounded so mean, specialy when it downshift (dealer was driving it so i guess it was drive it like you stole it). gotta love black cars

11. cnut

cnut Guest

Excellent work!!! Great use of the DA also.

12. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

dayum. Looks awesome. Wish I could get a schweet car like that to work on. The impala I'm working on now doesn't have near as nice of lines to accentuate the photos.

13. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

excellent work sir!

14. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanks Dana (aka Rotary Whisperer)

Thansk kei

Thanks Vtec...

Volume shops have to move them in and out.... totally different ball game than what we do... But you know that better than anyone would!

I was using my point and shoot and a friends Cannon DSLR

Thank you Misha.....

You are right, they do sound VERY hungry... I loved starting it up to pull it out into the sun and hearing it purr!

thanks cnut... These new DA are VERY capable... coupled with the new pads that are out and proper technique WOW....

Thanks again!

Than you very much

Ya, I used to think the same thing but, when you are working at such a "micro" level I really loose all sight of everything but the 1x1 or 2x2 area I am working on or the scratch I am chasing...

Thanks man!

15. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanks a lot Roger....

I'm still loving your avatar:applause:

16. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Sometimes I start thinking too far ahead, and lose track of the task at hand, and get stressed out. I have to recenter myself a few times throughout the polishing steps, or I tend to rush.

Slow and steady wins the race, I guess.

Funny you had to use a DA too. The impala I was working on had sticky paint (which I was wrestling with when the makita cord shorted out). I hadn't picked up the PC for correction work in a year. It was weird to not have to worry about heat, but it did take me a bit to relearn how the polish breaks down on a random orbital machine.

17. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

it looks great :applause:

18. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

DUDE! This is gordeous!!! I love it, I have to say!

19. olbear1962

olbear1962 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What a fantastic job and turnaround on the car. The owner must be very happy indeed that you were able to bring his toy back to how it should have been.
    Dealers SUCK generally speaking.........good luck to the owner for his retribution....

20. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

I love when Black is done properly. It looks awesome great job