Deep Gloss Auto Salon: Giallo Modena Ferrari F430

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Deep Gloss Auto Salon was contacted (via Bella Machina :worship2: ) to do exterior only paint work on a 2005 F430 Spider in Giallo Modena.

2005 was the first production year for the F430. The owner was on the waiting list for 4 years for the 360 and then was contacted by the dealer and was told that he could get the 2004 model year 360 or wait a year for the 2005 F430.. easy choice huh??? This vehicle is a garage queen and only comes out on nice days for rides with the top and windows down. After a drive this vehicle saw regular quick detailing and a car cover was applied.

The process began with a full inspection of the exterior paintwork which revealed swirls throughout, the swirls got progressively worse as you progress to the lower portion of all panels. In addition to the swirls the paintwork showed random isolated deep scratches.

Process:

The morning started with the wheels & wells:

The wheels saw a generous spray of P21s wheel gel, the wells saw P21s total auto wash.
    [​IMG]

Great effort was spent to ensure the wheels, wells and calipers were as perfect as possible just short of full wheel removal.

The tires saw a 4-1 mix of e-Shine Natural APC.
    *you can see the layers of old residual wheel dressing coming off the tires*
    [​IMG]

P21s was left to dwell and then agitated behind spokes, calipers and hard to reach areas with flex foam wax pocket
    [​IMG]

wheel faces were brushed with megs slide lock brush.
    [​IMG]
    After left to dwell P21s was pressure washed off.

[​IMG]

Caliper Before:
    [​IMG]
    Caliper After:
    [​IMG]

Many Q-tips were used to get into tight areas
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The inner rear area of the rim where it meets the rotor was hand polished with Surf City maximum metal using a “flex foam wax pocket” from AG

The wheel wells were further detailed using a tool wrapped in a micro fiber
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paintwork was cleansed using P21s total auto wash on body panels.
    [​IMG]
    After dwell time paintwork was foamed, pressure washed, foamed and washed via 2 bucket method with grit guards and Surf City shampoo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cracks were blown dry and vehicle was blot dryed. Paintwork was then clayed with Riccardo clay and optimum no rinse as clay lube

Rims were clayed using Riccardo clay (Canada is close) and Optimum no Rinse as clay lube.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rims and calipers were sealed with Rejex. Tires dressed with Surf City Tire Pro, wheel wells were dressed with Adams undercarriage spray

Exhaust tips polished with Surf City Maximum Metal

Plastic exterior trim was cleansed and then treated with 303 aerospace protectant.

Contamination from the 3M protective plastic that was at bottom rear of each wheel well was cleansed using Duragloss 501

The customer requested the top not be treated, I believe due to the fact that it only sees drives with the top down.

Although this color proved very difficult to capture the defects with a camera they were there. What is apparent via the photos is how the paint doesn’t look as vibrant and alive as it should (notice residual wax in the crack)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vehicle was prepped for defect removal:
    [​IMG]

After several different trials on different areas I formulated my game plan.

Once my game plan was set, I quartered the hood and corrected a quarter of it and as I always do. I then asked the customer to inspect it under various lights to see the 50/50 if you will. Once the game plan is shown to the customer the correction begins.

The following are the products I used for correction

Meguiars 105 - (on select panels)
    Menzerna Super Intensive polish
    Menzerna 85rd
    Pads varied in size from 3.5” / 4” / 5” / 5.5” / 6” / 6.5”
    Pads varied in color from LC CCS green, white & Black and Sonus SFX Whiteb
    Prep Sol
    FK 425
    Makita

Here are some shots post correction / pre wax
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After correction the paint work was protected with Supernatural Carnauba wax (no sun 11pm at night)

And here are some pics of the final product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Favorites:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Wow:yikes: that is a amazing detail on a sweet car. Nice job and it must have been fun to work on such a nice car!!:applause2: I have the same pump sprayers as you and can't seem to get them to spray right.

3. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Fantastic work man. A+!

4. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

Nice! Great work on a drop-dead gorgeous car Jason. Nice write-up and the pics rock.

5. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Congrats on your first Ferrari detail (I think?). Looks like it came out very nice.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Well done there Deep Gloss :applause: :applause: I enjoyed the detailed write up and the attention to detail on the calipers was great to see, such a vehicle deserves to be detailed in this maner. Well done :worship2: :worship2:

Gorgeous vehicle too :druling:...but that garage is looking very, very good :applause2:

7. Spiggz535i

Spiggz535i Virgin Detailer

:applause:damn that is a sweet detail great job bro...

8. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

looks great

9. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Incredible job as always. I expected no less from you bro and was so looking forward to this detail to be posted. Supernatural looks incredible on top of the impeccable polishing you did! Phenomenal work and I'm sure the owner thought so too! So what did you think of the Rejex?

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanks smith.. I noticed they sprayed way too much product...

Thanks!

Thanks Paul!
    Thanks.....

Thanks Nica.. I spent a great deal of time on the wheels, calipers and wells.. you couold eat a filet off of them... I will be interested to see how the Rejex sealant holds up.

Thanks!

Thank you

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanls JL!!

The owner was very pleased.. he browses these forums, he may chime in..

The rejex is VERY shiny...Pure sealant look.. Not bad if that is what the owner wants..

I was told to protect the paint how I felt best. I thought that the Supernatural would be a good showcase for the Giallo Modena (yellow) paintwork.

12. Strokin04

Strokin04 Birth of a Detailer

Nice work!!!!

13. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Strokin.. I almost forgot to thank you for reffering me to Todd... thanks Bud!

14. Strokin04

Strokin04 Birth of a Detailer

Anytime and your welcome. Since I grew up in Michigan and have friends and family their I know a awesome detailer (you) to refer them too.

15. kogenx

kogenx Birth of a Detailer

Looks Awesome!

16. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

D00d :chest:

Those rims look like they've never turned a mile! I've never been a yellow fan (except for the RUF Yellowbird), but damn, you make that look good.

:thumb:

17. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great job Jason, glad to finally see the finished product.

18. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

wowowowoowowowowowoowow so nice.......

19. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Jason, what a fantastic job! I have been waiting to see this one! Both nice car and work. Looks like supernatural fitted the yellow very good!

20. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great work Jason! Awesome attention to detail on those brake calipers, hehe.