Deep Gloss Auto Salon: 360 Challenge Stradale

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
    360 Challenge Stradale

[​IMG]

*It has been quite some time since I’ve posted any of my work. I have just been too busy to dedicate time to taking pictures while working and to do a proper write up. I have had several requests to post this vehicle, on with the show*

The Challenge Stradale is a 360 Modena on a double dose of steroids from the planet Crypton.

The exterior changes from other 360s are subtle, but that is where the subtlety ends. One of Mr. Moruzzi’s goals with the Stradale was to shave three seconds of the 360’s Fiorano lap record. Suffice it to say, he and his team were successful.

Once you enter the Stradale it becomes very evident that this car is all business and shed as much weight as possible. You won’t find carpet, in its place is rubber floor mats. The seats are carbon fiber and this specimen has the wonderful Alcatara leather. You also won’t find a stereo in the Stradale, the music is the purr of the all aluminum V8 that hits 60mph in 4.1 seconds and stops by means of the Enzo carbon brakes and changes gears in 150 milliseconds.

Enough of my banter, on with the show.

As always, the wheels were the first items attended to. Due to the sensitive nature of these carbon/ceramic brakes, careful product selection is needed as to not induce damage to them and render them useless. For this task P21S wheel gel was used with various brushes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below is an action shot of me using my beloved Raceglaze XL wheel brush. This tool won’t spit back on you like many brushes; it is sturdy, effective enough to clean yet, wont scratch and, it’s very thin. I mention it being thin because this is my favorite feature, as you can see it even fits between the very small clearance of the rim and the caliper.. Love it
    [​IMG]

After the wheels were done it was time to do something about bugs that met their death on the front of this stallion and the minimal road tar that was on the lower body panels. The front and lower portions of the vehicle were showered with water via pressure washer and then, treated with 1Z Einszett Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover. It was left to dwell for 3 minutes and then pressure washed off.
    [​IMG]

From there the entire exterior of the vehicle was showered with water via pressure washer to dislodge as much debris, dirt, contamination as possible. After showering with just water it was time to use the foam cannon. A strong concoction of several soaps and cleaners was sprayed onto the exterior and left to dwell for several minutes.

[​IMG]

After dwell time
    [​IMG]

After the foam dwelled it was then pressure washed off and foamed again, this time with Duragloss #902.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was left to dwell and then a proper 2 bucket wash was performed using Duragloss #902 and an Uber sponge from Detailers Domain.

After washing every square inch of the exterior body panels, the vehicle was pressure washed clean and then further decontaminated using Riccardo yellow clay and Optimum No Rinse as a clay lube. While claying I was rewetting the vehicle to prevent water from dying on the body panels.

After claying, the entire vehicle was blown dry and then residual water was blot dried using high quality chemical guys micro fibers.

Below are some post wash pictures. As you will see there was a solid mix of holograms and swirls/scratches throughout

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All sensitive bits were taped up to protect them from damage and it was time to get to business… Paint correction!

As always, a test section was picked to determine the best and least invasive course of action that would get this paint back to its glory. F-Cars of this vintage usually have paint on the softer side of the scale and this one was no different. I called Mr Willis to ask him a question about the racing stripe, thanks for the time!

The paint correction process was a 4 step process for the areas with deeper inclusions and a 3 step process for all other body panels. Below are my paint correction steps:

• Body panels with severe damage were polished with Menzerna Intensive Polish and orange Lake Country Pad
    • All panels (including aforementioned panels) polished with Menzerna Intensive Polish and white Lake Country Pad
    • All panels polished with Menzerna 106FF and black Lake Country pad
    • All panels jeweled with Menzerna 85rd and Lake Country no cut red pad for high gloss

91% IPA wipe downs were performed to ensure that the correction observed was true and that no carrier oils were acting as unintentional fillers.

The test panel was determined the first night of delivery and inspected under many different light sources.

Before and afters at various phases of correction process:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After pictures at various stages of correction process with various light sources:

Brinkman:
    [​IMG]

Fenix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Camera Flash:
    [​IMG]

Halogens:
    [​IMG]

The next morning, I pulled the vehicle out into the sun to validate my correction process steps were robust. Below are pictures of the “in sun inspection”.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another later in the day: [​IMG]

The engine bay was also given much attention and really was brought back to life.

A thorough wipe down with a spray bottle filled with ONR was the first step.

The carbon fiber drain channels had lost all clarity and shine. The carbon fiber air intakes, while not as bad as the drain channels were also treated in a similar manner as follows:
    Duragloss #501 was used to chemically clean and seal the carbon fiber.
    Hand polishing with Menzerna #205 and a white polishing pad was done.
    Carbon fiber areas were then sealed with Zaino AIO and Z2

The reason #501 was done was because we thought that would be all it needed. After it was completed by my assistant, he called me over to inspect and I then determined that a chemical cleaning was not sufficient and that more life/clarity could be given to these areas and thus, the hand polishing and Zaino treatment was done.

The metal exhaust can was hand polished and then topped with Surf City Diamond Edge Metal Dressing. All rubber bits in the bay were dressed with 303 Aerospace protectant.

Below is a picture that is representative of the condition of the carbon fiber drain channels in the engine bay
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Full After Shot:
    [​IMG]

The Plexiglas (weight reduction) of the engine deck lid was meticulously cleaned with waffle weave micro fiber towels and Surf City Clearly Better glass cleaner.
    [​IMG]

The interior seats are wrapped in Alcatara leather and were in great condition (Thanks to Mr Fermani for anwsering a question I had about the alcantara) It is very obvious that the owner of the vehicle takes great care to keep the interior in as good of condition as possible.

Below is the process for the Alcantara:
    Vacuum
    Dry agitation with a gentle bristled brush
    Vacuumed
    A white, small, damp terry towel was used to clean
    Left to dry
    Dry fluff with gentle brush to restore to showroom condition

The interior is also laden with carbon fiber; the carbon fiber was in just as good of shape as the rest of the interior was.

Below is the process for the interior carbon fiber:
    Wipe down with FK425
    Treated with Zaino AIO
    Sealed with Zaino Z2

The leather dash was cleaned with Leather Master and then treated with Zaino leather in a bottle

Rubber flooring was cleaned with all purpose cleaner and then treated with Meguiars M40

Below are the only 2 pictures I managed to take of the interior (excuse the drivers florr mat as the owner had just pulled it into the sun light for inspection):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rims were treated with Zaino AIO and then sealed with Zaino Z5.

Exterior seals/weather stripping cleaned with all purpose cleaner and then treated with 1Z Einzette Gummi Pflege

Interior seals around trunk lid treated with 303 Aerospace protectant

The LSP of choice was Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant (3 layers) topped with Duragloss Aquawax.

Below are some final after pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

nice work. not too found of the "stripes" on it though.

3. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

nice work!!!
    The car looks stunning!

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

amazing work, Jason! That Ferrari looks stunning!!!

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Fantastic work!

Beautiful car

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Nice work. Love the 360CS, as well as the newer 430S, but great job on bringing the paint quality on par with the awesomeness of the car, haha.

7. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Stunning work for sure. Gotta love that wet diamond on black!

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

:thumb:

Thanks kei

Gracias SC'd... glad you enjoyed the write up

Thanks bud!

Thanks... Yes the SC is a great machine, I just love that it is all business!

Thanks billy... Yes, BFWD does look great.. to be honest it looks great on all colors I have used it on... I reach for it 9 times out of 10 these days!

9. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Jason that car looks so glossy! Excellent work.

10. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

Wow, Michigan Finest has arrived! Awesome work my friend looks so wet!:applause:

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanks Bud!

Angelo mi amigo... Muchas gracias Senor!

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great job Jason, the black looks so deep. My phone is still in the shop-lol.

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh boy I was waiting for this write up, you teased me so much it's great to see the full write up :thumb:, the vehicle looks bellisimo :druling: :druling:

Seriously, love the body lines of the prancing horse just love them :woo: :woo:

Vehicle looks great :chest:

Man, I really like that interior, just love the carbon fiber interior wow who would have thought carbon fiber would look so wicked in a prancing horse :druling: :druling:

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great job Jason! Looks great.

15. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanks Dana,...At least your rotary is still working:hmph:

Thanks Carlos.. Ya, I teased you a bit:sorry:

The carbon fiber is a work of art, very fine craftsmanship.

Glad you enjoyed the write u

Thanks Ken!

16. richy

richy Guest

Hey my Northern brother....you outdid yourself on this one!! Hit it out of the park like you did on that awesome 5 series I think it was that you posted a while ago...I can't decide which one looks better. Musta been a pleasure running your hands over that bodywork...there's a good reason their cars have stood the test of time...nothing looks better. You sure gave it what it deserved...way to go!!

17. bimmer nation

bimmer nation Birth of a Detailer

did you end up polishing the stripes or did u tape them off??? great work btw absolutely stunning car

18. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Pure hotness. Great job!

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

What's up buddy?!?

Thanks a lot for the compliment man.. I have some pictures that I took while the owner was walking around inspecting the vehicle. I love the kool aid grin he had on his face!

Yes, it was a pleasure to work on this machine...

Thansk again!

It's painted stripe so yes, I did polish it just like the rest of the vehicle

Thanks Doc!!

20. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great turnaround!