Decent OTC wheel cleaner?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by GDAL, Sep 1, 2009.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Guys/Gals

I'm looking for a decent OTC wheel cleaner. I use P21S, but I really don't have issues with brake dust.

Any suggestions?
    G

2. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

If you don't have issues, you can use just your car shampoo and water. Eagle One All wheel and tire cleaner/A2Z is good stuff too.

3. Cooter

Cooter Guest

+1 Eagle One A2Z Wheel Cleaner. Works great!!

4. Jimmie

Jimmie Birth of a Detailer

Eagle One

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Big lots sells Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner for only 3.50 and does a great job imo..

6. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Purple Power $5 a gallon dilute 50/50 Tried-n-True. Safe on all Wheels

7. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Gianni, your wheel are sealed with PB's wheel sealent correct? Soap and water will be fine, you don't even wanna use P21S, there's no need, all it's going to do is probably lessen the longevity of the sealant. For the inner barrels, if they get bad use Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire cleaner, and if you clean it say weekly, you can just use soap and water for that too.

8. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks bobby ... I'm trying to get some for the upcoming wash & wax jobs. I only have to hose my rims ... there's so much sealant that the brake dust just washes off.

9. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Ok, I thought you meant for your own car. Save your P21S for aftermarket wheels, I use Meg's Wheel Brightener on 90% of the wheels I do. If they are clear-coated, which almost all OEM wheels are, it's safe. If it's a bare metal, that's when you wanna use the P21S.

P21S works on the dwell time, Eagle One is more acidic so while it's not gonna hurt the wheel after 5 minutes, you don't wanna let it dwell too long. Eagle one should handle pretty much anything that's not extremely baked on. However, one bottle doesn't last very long, while if you get something like Meg's wheel brightener, it will be about 10 dollars to do about 20 or so cars.

10. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

I don't want to recommend Eagle 1 because its acidic, if anything try CG wheel cleaners, I've heard they're good or even Meguiar's Rim Cleaner, but I've heard great things about P21S as well, are you sure its not working? If its a stuck-on dirt, just clay the wheels.

11. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Also Eagleone. My first wheel cleaner I used and have not found a replacement simply because it works and is economical.

But make sure to spray it off, it's pretty acidic.

At least for the wheels I clean, usually normal car wash soap gets rid of most of the dirt so I lessen the amount of wheel cleaner I need to use.

So I wash the wheel first and only use wheel cleaner when needed.
    Sometimes I don't even need to use it at all because of the wax or sealant I've used to protect it.

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

He's looking for something OTC though. I would say try Meg's.

13. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks for the suggestions guys ...

the P21S works great, but I don't have a need to use it all the time. I just want something that works well and it's economical.

I was thinking about getting the ardex buster and dilluting it a lot.

14. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Meg's MB is not sold around Philly? right?

15. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

No, the wheel brightener is only available online. There are a couple different wheel cleaners from them sold OTC though. I have used the hotrims wheel cleaner for aluminum wheels before and its safe for powdercoated wheels.

Ardex buster is some potent stuff. I like it but watch out. let it set too long and it will eat the finish right off. and the smell is obnoxious.

16. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

duragloss all wheel cleaner is good stuff if you can find it

17. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

If you have a Pepboy's around your area, you can pick up some Surf City Garage Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner.

18. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

The Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is an alkaline product. The Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner is an acidic product.

I recommend the Eagle One product; it has been a tried-and-true wheel cleaner on my wheels for several years now. AutoZone has it on sale this month for $3.99 per bottle, also. I purchased a couple of bottles of the Meg's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner but haven't gotten the chance to use it yet.

19. 2TONLT1

2TONLT1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The Eagle one is a great product,I agreed it does go pretty quickly.I need to get another bottle or i might try the purple power and water something that will last a little longer.Has anybody tried simple green diluted or is that i no no for rims?

Here is before on some bmw 525i rims that i did
    [​IMG]

Here is the after with just spraying a little eagle one and spraying off with a pressure washer
    [​IMG]

20. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

If you are intent on using someting OTC A-Z is nothing to be afraid of when used as directed and actually is pretty damn good... If it was sold in gallons I would use it for tough wheels but I go through wheel cleaner too quickly to but in OTC small sizes