Dealership over-sprayed interior panels

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Danny, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Well I am going to be working on this 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT/CS tomorrow. I will be doing a three stage paint correction because the dealership put in so many swirls in the finish after it was taken in due to an accident on the passenger side. They also managed to spray the carpet a bit and get paint dust or paint itself on the interior panels. Not sure if Zep citrus at 1:10 wand a SV Detail Brush will take out this stuff if not the dealership is going to replace the sprayed panels. Any ideas on what I can use that is safe on the interior that wont chemically etch or dull the plastic or vinyl surfaces? I was hired by the dealership per the request of the owner whom done work for before. I was thinking if I cant get it out with my vacuum with the dust attachment or with Zep citrus and a SV detail brush then maybe I could invest in a steamer to get it out, not sure if that is safe around electronics or if it will even work? I saw one on the walmart website but, the walmart I went to today didnt have it in stock. Here are some picture that way you guys can see what I am up against.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Wow man you def got a task ahead of you. Can't wait to see the full write up.

3. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Any idea on what to use to remove it?

4. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I think you might have good luck with Zep. I personally have never had an issue like that. But I have heard of interior cleaners doing the job. Give it a shot and let me know how it works out.

5. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

An APC and a medium stiffness brush should do the trick for you. I was able to remove some silver over-spray from the interior of a Mercedes ML that had the door sill repainted without masking the interior properly, that should work for you on all surfaces. With paint over-spray on these types of surfaces, it is not so much what cleaner you use but how you agitate it.

6. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Christian thanks man I appreciate your reply I have a SV wheel brush coming in tomorrow. I wonder if the bristles being that they are pigs hair are safe enough since technically its for wheels not interiors.

7. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

did they paint it with the windows down?

8. richy

richy Guest

Tell the asshole not to use a spray bomb inside the car next time!! Good Lord. Anyway, I would approach it just like you do paint correction. What I mean by that is work your way up in aggressiveness. Use Zep Citrus at 4:1. Or, I would get a gallon of Zep High Traffic Stain remover. It is amazing stuff too. You will need to extract afterward though. That should do you on the carpet. I would use it on the plastic too. Start with a MF. Do you have one of those AG interior pads? It would be worth its weight in gold right now if you did. Contact Ken and get one for the future...it is invaluable. If the mf doesn't work, I would VERY GENTLY try some 0000 steel wool doused in the Zep HT and try that. The paint should come off. Do the easy parts first and save the electronics for last. You don't want to create a bigger problem. Take your time and charge accordingly. Let us know how it works for you Danny.

9. Cooter

Cooter DB Forum Supporter

How about a Magic Eraser??

10. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Not sure man, but that is what it seems like.

Thanks fro the help Richy The owner is pretty upset about it, I dont have the AG interior pad man, I will have to order on up from Ken, I do have Zep citrus and a #0000 steel wool and of course low nap all purpose microfibers ads well as my Bissel big green machine to extract. I am going ot go to home depot and pick up a gallon of high traffic stain remover. I will keep you updated on how it works out for me.

Heath thanks for the tip. This can be bought a walmart right its the Mr. Clean Magic eraser right?

11. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

The only thing I might suggest would be a product called OOPS, I'm sure you have heard of it before. Like always test in an area that is easily hidden before you go attacking the whole interior.

12. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

If you find that the SV is to gentle, you may find a hand/nail brush from an auto parts store will work, that is what i usually use on interiors and haven't found any ill effects on the panels, just take care when working around hi gloss trim as it may effect the finish, but on leather and plastics it works great. Good Luck Danny.

13. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Sorry for not replying to posts earlier I was working on the 5.0 all day. I was able to remove all the paint even in the carpets. I am not kidding you and there was no ill affect to the plastic or trim. I used the following to get it done. Pics will be posted once I load the photos to photo bucket. You guys are going to like the turn around.

Zep citrus at 1:10 using distilled water
    Swissvax detail brush
    Carrands electrostatic detail brush used a rubber band to hold the harder bristles closer for better agitation.
    long skinny paint brushes for vents
    Leather brush
    Mothers Double sided microfibers
    2 Cans of compressed air
    LED flash light
    Bissel Big Green Machine vac

14. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

nice, cant wait to see the pics

15. richy

richy Guest

Glad to hear it Danny. Amazing Zep Citrus did that, even at 10:1!! Wow. Can't wait to see the pics.

16. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks Richy here are the pics:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

I am very surprised you got all that paint out. Great work. Im sure that dealership now loves you even more.

18. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

great job Danny

19. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Glad you like the turn around pics. They havent seen it yet I am doing the paint correction right now.

Thanks man:)

20. richy

richy Guest

Great job buddy. That Pony is going back to be a foal...a new lease on life!!